Go Bottom Go Bottom

two stroke on straght gas

View my Photos
tracer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-21          111334

Help
my wife just ran a tank of straight gas through a new , maybe 4 tanks of oil gas mix, a brand new Stihl $300 weedeater. It still runs. Of course its my fault that she did this.
Any permanent damage?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
ksmmoto
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-21          111335

Does the engine start, run and sound ok? If it seems normal it should be fine. Modern oils are really good, just the traces from the mixed fuel can provide enough lubrication.

What ratio do you mix? Many oils could be ran quite lean even 100:1 or 150:1, not recommend though. I run Golden Spectro Racing Two Stroke at 50:1 in all my two strokes with premium fuel. I have never seized even one on the Golden Spectro even back when I raced Husqvarna and KTM Dirt Bikes.

ksmmoto ....

View my Photos
tracer

2005-05-22          111353

Greetings and thanks for the reply,
It starts and runs well, whew! I was wondering if it might have scored the cylinder walls or some heat problem that might show up later. I hope there was enough oil left in the tank when she fueled it to keep it from siezing or doing permanent damage.
I run the recommended little bottle of oil to a two and a half gal tank of white gas (93)octane. I have run a stihl O28 av super chainsaw for 15 fifteen years with that mix and it still runs strong. Let success be your guide.
I just cant believe a college educated smart lady could make such an error. She has seen me do this mix at least a hundred times and the BLUE gas is Blue and the White gas is white.
WOMEN! I have never figured and never will. I just know they run the world and are ALWAYS RIGHT.Men are always wrong but the women like us and keep us around for their amusement. Sorry to ramble.
The weed eater is ok and so am I.
Thanks
TRACER ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-22          111363

I would run a tank or two of 32:1 through it just to be on the safe side and ensure all the internal components get re-oiled and thoroughly coated. ....

View my Photos
havoctec

2005-05-23          111393

You got extremely lucky!! ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-05-23          111396

Glad to hear it worked out. Like the part about it being your fault. LOL. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-05-23          111441

I would NOT run 32:1 through it, two wrongs dont make a right and you may foul up some of the system. If it calls for 100:1 then that is what it gets. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-05-23          111442

Foul up some of the system?????? Such as?????? The point of running an excessively oil rich fuel through the engine is to recoat the internal bearings and ring grooves with a good coating of oil after being washed down with straight gas and striped of all lubrication. 2 strokes have run off of 32:1 for decades with little problems. My point was to run just enough to ensure the engine is now being properly lubricated and potentially minimize any damage that may have been done. Yes.....running an oil rich fuel mix such as 32:1 for an unnecessary amount of time and at low rpm can potentially clog exhaust ports but not for the short amount of time I suggested. I personally would not run ANY 2 stroke engine at 100:1 unless it was oil injected. Even then; that is right at the limits of little to near no lubrication. The EPA is not going to buy me a new trimmer so I use 40:1 in ALL of my 2 strokes; especially my Stihls which I have used with this mix for over 10 years. I am still on the original OEM plugs on my O-66, FS-450K, ST-400, and BG-85. ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-06-03          111934

Why do you use high octane fuel in your two-strokes? I have always run 87...is there a reason for this. If there is, it would be worth the switch for no more than I use...a gallon lasts at least two, sometimes three weeks. Glad you admitted it was your fault...many men would blame their wife and try to make her feel stupid...hats off to you! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-04          111938

My Stihl requires premium fuel. Says so right in the manual. ....

View my Photos
husky125

2005-06-29          112904

Just a word of caution with premium fuels. Watch for alcohol content. Some suppliers increase the octane by adding alcohol Normal two stroke oils will not mix with alcohol. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-06-29          112906

Husky makes a solid point. Some people got in trouble when I raced 2-stroke go-karts years ago. Certain gas stations (brands) used alcohol as an additive without saying so. Since alcohol addition was illegal, they got in trouble for using it.

So beware of it's potential and how it mixes with the oil. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-29          112907

Ethanol enriched gasoline is a huge problem for the aviation industry also.

Most ultralight aircraft these days are powered by a Rotax two-stroke engine, ethanol is deadly for these high performance two strokes and I'm told, has been behind several reported engine failures.

A friend of mine who owns 'power sports' store (boats, PWC's & snowmobiles) said they are having the same problem. In fact most manufacturers specifically state in the operator's amnuals for their two strokes not to use any fuel with more than 5% ethanol. He has been told by one manufacturer's rep. that they are to have the fuel tested in any product with a blown engine brought in for warranty work.

If the test is positive, the warranty claim is negative.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-06-29          112912

WHAT AN EXCELLENT TIDBIT OF INFO! Thanks for taking the time to post it! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-06-29          112927

I am glad I read this thread too, Thanks guys! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-30          112935

I emailed my friend to confirm I had it straight and if there was any change in the situation, here is an exerpt from his reply.

"Here is the official word, quoted directly from the owners manuals for some of the different products we sell.

The 2 strokes seem more susceptible to damage from the use of various oxygenators, but the 4 strokes are also vulnerable in many ways. As I mentioned before, almost every manufacturer has now told us to very carefully inspect and document any serious motor failures or problems BEFORE we do any repairs or even tell the client we will do the job under warranty.

Bombardier - CAUTION: The use of a fuel other than regular unleaded fuel can result in craft performance deterioration and damage to fuel system and engine components. Never experiment with other fuels or fuel ratios. Never use fuel containing alcohol, methanol or similar products including naptha.

Mercury Marine - Alcohol in Gasoline. We do not recommend the use of gasoline
which contains alcohol because of the possible adverse effect the alcohol may have on the fuel system. In general, Gasoline containing alcohol may cause the
following problems to your outboard and fuel system:
• Corrosion of metal parts.
• Deterioration of elastomers and plastic parts.
• Wear and damage of internal engine parts.
• Starting and operating difficulties.
• Vapor lock or fuel starvation.
Some of these adverse effects are due to the tendency of gasoline containing alcohol to absorb moisture from the air, resulting in a phase of water and alcohol which separates from the gasoline in the fuel tank. The adverse effects of alcohol are more severe with methanol and are worse with increasing content of alcohol

Nissan Marine - Note:
(1) Gasoline containing alcohol, methanol (methyl), or ethanol (ethyl), may cause:
• Wear and damage to bearings, cams, piston(s), piston rings.
• Corrosion of metal parts.
• Deterioration of rubber and plastic parts.
• Starting, idling, and other engine performance problems.
(2) Do not use gasoline that contains more than 10% ethanol or more than 5% methanol.
(3) Damage resulting from the use of gasolines that contain alcohol are not covered under the limited warranty

OMC - OMC products have been designed to operate using the above fuel: however, be aware of the following:
• The boat’s fuel system may have different requirements regarding the use of alcohol fuels. Refer to the boat’s owner manual.
• Alcohol attracts and holds moisture that can cause corrosion of metallic parts in the fuel system.
• Alcohol blended fuel can cause engine performance problems.
• All parts in the fuel system should be inspected frequently and replaced if signs
of deterioration or leakage are found. Inspect at least annually.

Suzuki – Suzuki highly recommends that you use alcohol-free unleaded gasoline whenever possible, with a minimum pump octane rating of 87 ((R+M)/2 method). In some areas, the only fuels that are available are oxygenated fuels. Oxygenated fuels which meet the minimum octane rating requirement and the requirements described below may be used in your outboard motor without jeopardizing the New Outboard Motor Limited Warranty.

Basically, the only two manufacturers that say it’s OK to use Gasahol are Honda & Yamaha, but they both qualify that by saying the fuel must contain cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors to protect the fuel system. To date we have been unable to find a gas company who add these products to their fuels since automobiles do not require them, just small engines."

With the cost of small engines, and the products they go in today, I don't think I'll risk it.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-19          113666

{{{I just cant believe a college educated smart lady could make such an error}}}
I CAN!!!!College and educated does not = intelligent. That comes only when we learn the old fashioned way to tell the bride that you have made that mistake a hundred times! (Even when you may mean," Your so darn pissed that she done that! cant believe someone can be that stupid!)
NOW HERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY
She probably actually ""DID"" add the right amount of oil and just told you she did not add ANY! This way here that college educated woman can get her idiot husband to tell her NEVER touch my POWER tools again!!!!! ARGG ARGGG!
As she walks away saying to herself, " Men!!! So damm stupid there testoterone always gets them! ....

View my Photos
tracer

2005-08-11          114714

Greetings Brokenarrow,
I wish she had done that. I checked the fuel by dumping it out and it was white not that blue/ gray (nice southern color). Besides she actually likes to run the weedeater. When she doesnt my son will gladly do it for the extra cash.
She is the Boss and thats fine by me. Its a two way street. Thats the only way we could be together for 22years and married for 19. I did tell her to use the red can not the red plastic can. Like I said.. it was my fault but its the way it goes and in the grand scheme of things .. stuff happens.
Tracer ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login