Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lining drainage ditches

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-07          97832

I have a couple of drainage ditches that I would like to line with something.

Anybody have any ideas short of a concrete ditch?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Lining drainage ditches

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-15          98464

landscape fabric and river stone. I have done it and looks very nice. ....

Lining drainage ditches

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-16          98505

I would just put in drain pipe and cover it over but the ditch is along the bottom of a hill.
The ditch has to catch the water running off the hill before it gets to the flat land at the botton of the hill.
You can't use a colvert or drain pipe in a ditch like this .

I 've been thing of using 30 or 55 Gallon plastic drums for liners.
Anybody ever tried this?

Lining drainage ditches

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-16          98516

To bad they don't make :
C & U shaped drain pipe.
Open Top drain pipe.
Square & Rectangular drain pipe. ....

Lining drainage ditches

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-17          98586

lbrown, the folks we bought our house from had cut plastic culvert in half lengthwise, thus ended up with "U-shaped", open top ditch liner. It runs parallel to our driveway. The drive runs about 350 feet, w/ 10-15% slope on part of it. I think they'd had it this way for several years. This spring, the amount of water coming off our hill, coupled with heavy rains lead to erosion below the culvert (it didn't run all the way down the hill). If you're going to try something like this, you might want to keep that in mind.

Good luck! ....

Lining drainage ditches

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-18          98618

Water will run in many things other than an open ditch.

If you are concerned about the volume of water and getting rid of it at the bottom of the slope just line the ditch with some heavy plastic and fill it with washed gravel.

The gravel will allow the water to run through, the plastic will stop any erosion and help stop the gravel from mixing into the soil, and the ditch will be filled level so you can pass right over it.

Best of luck. ....

Lining drainage ditches

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-18          98676

In a message dated 10/18/04 8:46:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time, LBrown59 writes:

<<
1*lbrown, the folks we bought our house from had cut plastic culvert in half lengthwise,
.2* This spring, the amount of water coming off our hill, coupled with heavy rains lead to erosion below the culvert (it didn't run all the way down the hill).
3* If you're going to try something like this, you might want to keep that in mind.
44trxfun
=====================
1*When you cut pipe in half like that it also reduces the volume of water the ditch will carry in half too. This is why I was going for either 30 or 55 gal plastic barrels instead because of their larger diameter over say 14'' drain pipe.
2*The erosion was caused because the ditch didn't go clear to the bottom of the hill and would have happened even if the ditch hadn't been lined.
3*My ditches go clear to the state road ditch so erosion is not a problem for me and will not happen wither the ditches are lined or not.
LB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ **************** -----------------
PS:
You need to extend your ditch from where it ends now to the bottom of the hill. If this point is the ditch that your drive way culvert is in then so much the better.
It's optional if you want to line the new section of ditch or not.
To line it you can do it like the old section is or fill it with gravel like murf suggested in this thread
If you use gravel it will reduce the volume of water the ditch will carry because the gravel takes up space water would normally occupy. This can be overcome by increasing the size of the ditch.

>>

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login