Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tricks for pulling fence posts

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-23          94188

Now that the new fence is up, I have about 800' of old chain link fence to get down. The posts were concreted in many cases, which makes them impossible to pull out with my loader. Pulling the concrete ball through the ground has proven to be more than the loader can handle.

Does nay one have any suggestions on a good method for pulling these posts? They are 1-1/2" pipe posts. I have about 100 of them to pull.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
husky125
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-23          94191

With smaller posts I had good success using an old 20" truck rim to run a chain over and hook onto the post. Then when you pull with the tractor you're pulling up instead of out. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-23          94193

Leverage, mechanical advantage, call it what you will, but that's what you need.

There's an old farmer's method that was popular for pulling out rocks and stumps back in the days when horsepower really did come from horses.

In todays version, you would basically you make a block & tackle using some wire rope and heavy pulleys, suspend it from a steel tripod affair and then run the cable to the drawbar. If you can't get them out of the ground with that method then they're not coming out. Just be careful, a broken cable can be deadly.

The other 'down & dirty' way would be to make a puller using a big hydraulic cyclinder, maybe borrow the one on your log-splitter. Mount one end to a big steel foot (with a notch in it for the post to fit in) to spread the load out and a clamp at the top, clamp the top to the post and extend the cylinder.

You wouldn't even need to pull it right out, once you get the post moving and broken free the FEL will pick it up.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-23          94244

If you have a pressure washer, you could try cutting out the soil around the concrete ball enough to pull them with the FEL. If you can find a way to hook the post to one of the 3 pt. hitch rockshafts; that will more than double your pulling/lifting power. Just a few thoughts that came to my mind. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-23          94250

I saw a hydraulic fence post puller once that used a big bottle jack. You might call around to some rental yards and see if they have anything to offer. For 100 posts it might be worth renting a bigger machine for a day. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-23          94255

Good point Ken. I missed the part about 100 fence posts. Holy crap! That is a lot of work! ....

View my Photos
scout180

2004-08-23          94265

Here's an old, unsafe way we pulled posts 50 yrs ago....Back the tractor rear wheel up against the post. Attach a log chain around the post at ground level. Run the free end of the chain up over the center of the wheel. Loop chain throgh the tire/rim at the top and hook securely. Slowly pull the tractor forward and the post will lift up with the tire....WATCH FOR THE POST TO HIT YOU IN THE BACK! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-08-24          94271

Beagle, You've got a bunch of work ahead of you. The least expensive method would be two or three overweight brother in laws with spades and shovels while you run the tractor, the snacks and refreshments might get a bit out of hand tho so maybe that's not a good idea. In the real world why not rent a backhoe for a day and do it safely. Seems like every summer I hear of someone being badly hurt or killed trying to pull a stump, fence post, push a tree over, etc.. Early this spring we lost a good young man in our neighborhood. He cut a tree and it would'nt tip over so took his "H" Farmall with the loader to push it over, you know the rest, it was a shocking loss for our community. So how ever you get it done do it with safety in mind, we're kind of a little community here on Tractor Point and we don't want to lose one of our best. Frank. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-24          94284

Thanks everyone, especially Chief for his grapple of the task ahead. I tried the tire rim idea last night, sounded simple enough to work...but didn't. The issue seems to be pulling the concrete ball through the root mass that is about 18" thick above the ball. It's time to employ some shoring tricks we have used for high rise buildings and bridges. All hydraulics from here. Too many accidents occur from rigging that isn't properly set up, the last thing I want is for one of these posts to pop loose and hit me or the wife in the head.

Out to the barn to fabricate a jacking frame. We may 3pt mount it just for ease of movement. We thought putting up the new fence would be the work, this has turned into one of those head scratchers. But...the neighbors sure are enjoying the show. The tire rim idea brought about $25 to the neighborhood bookie. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-24          94293

Beagle, your welcome to my TLB (Pic. # 3) but you're a little too far away.

I can grab 10" stumps and tear them right out of the ground clean. Steel fence posts are the same.

Check the rental yards, I think if you rented a full-size TLB for an afternoon you would have them all out easily. They generally rent for about $250 a day, sometimes you can rent them Saturday afternoon till Monday morning for a half day's rental price.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-24          94294

My fence posts are railroad ties. Like you, I have tried everything but I only found one thing that works.

I have a set of drawbars with matching holes. Using 3/4 threaded rod, I clamp the drawbars to the base of the post. Then I lay down a couple pieces of scrap plywood and start jacking with a high-lift jack on one side and a floor jack on the other side.

A couple of inches at a time on each side, and they come straight up out of the ground.

It is time consuming but it works. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-24          94312

Yep, that's the track I'm on, only I am going to fabircate a jacking frame since I have so many to do.

Thanks for the input. I really like the "outside the box" ideas like the truck wheel. It's more fun trying simple tricks like that and see if they work. I was hoping to not need a hydraulic frame, but these things are being way too stubborn. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-24          94313

Beagle, based on my experience doing it with the grapple bucket on the FEL of my TLB I can tell you you're going to need a big hole in the middle of that jacking frame.

When I pull them out they leave a hole that is about 18" in diameter since the concrete is rarely smooth and the dirt is usually very well stuck to it.

Also, if it is possible you might want to consider mounting it on your FEL instead of the 3pth, it will offer better visibility and make it easier on your back than working turned around backwards.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-24          94318

Thanks, I was planning on using the rear remotes for the hydraulics, figured that would be faster than a manual pump. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-25          94407

The jacking frame was a success. Hand operated porta-power jack for now, but the system works fine. Got 4 posts out last night, 96 to go.

Thanks for everyone's help. ....

View my Photos
D20_dvr

2005-09-30          117158

I've pulled several posts both fence and sat. dish posts using the 3 pt hitch on the tractor. Just back up with the post between the lift arms and wrap a HEAVY chain around the post hook on to the lift arms and lift SLOWLY. I don't know how well this will work with a small tractor but a 5500 lb 50 HP Ford works well. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login