Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
vrenuguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-22          91650

Does anyone out there know whether there is any difference between Kubota Super UDT fluid, and any other Super UDT fluid?
Don't want to feed my new toy anything that could hurt her.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
WPHill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-22          91661

vrenuguy, TSC sells Traveller Premium Universal Hydraulic Fluid which says it is comparable to UDT. I have not put it in my Kubota for warranty reasons, but do use it in other equipment and have not had any problems. I know the UDT is expensive, but so is the piece of equipment. Good Luck ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-22          91680

Super UDT and UDT are slightly different. The Super UDT has better performance specs at low and high temperatures. If your manual says Super UDT, stick with it. ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
vrenuguy

2004-07-22          91690

Thanks for the information. Sometimes these proprietary things are just hype. That's why I asked folks who know. Again, thanks. ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-23          91712

I am sort of shooting from the hip here.... but this is what I have pieced together so far on Super UDT.

Although both are transmission/hydraulic fluids, Super is quite different from regular UDT. One of our star contributors, Chief, dug up the specs on Super U last month.

Bottom Line: It is a very thin oil, as in low viscosity. Before you think that is bad, keep reading.....

The common wisdom is that Low-Vis oils have a place only in cold weather climates or in circumstances where you don't have or take the time to properly "warm up" the system prior to using it.

But times are a-changing. Have you read the oil filler cap on a new car lately? They all seem to specify really lightweight engine oils like 5w-30's and 0w-20's to maintain the higher fuel mileage standards set by the government.

I had a 2000 Tacoma that ran just fine on those thinner oils. But I decided to use up some Mobil 1 15w-40 or 20w-50 (I forget which) that I had left over in the garage. Even though I was changing over to a full synthetic with a -45 pour point, I could tell right away it was a bad move.

It started slower, ran a bit sluggish and I got a 10 percent drop in gas mileage. When I switched back to the recommended viscosity, the problems went away. I guess modern engines are built to such tighter specs that thicker oils slow them down.

Whats it got to do with tractors? I'm getting there.

I had a Kubota BX22 that came from the dealer with Super UDT in the sump. I got a real good feel for how it ran in the first fifty hours. Then I changed the oil.

For several reasons, not the least of which was I couldn't find Kubota fluids locally, I put Chevron All Weather (full synthetic) in the sump at the fifty hour service.

The tractor began to run differently. The top ground speed seemed slower. The transmission was just a bit slower responding to pedal inputs. It accelerated slower and did not stop as briskly. It began to creep while siting at idle.

I didn't fully understand it until I finally got the Super UDT specs and compared them to the Chevron numbers. The Chevron oil had a much higher viscosity, despite being a full synthetic.

Now I have a Kubota RTV with 33 hours on the clock. The dealer doesn't carry Kubota oils so he filled it with IH/Case premium fluid. The HST is sluggish... in both starting and stopping..... UNLESS, like yesterday, it had been sitting in the 100 degree sun all day.

It has a whole different personality when operated in extreme heat which obviously changes/thins the oil viscosity.

Sooo.... I am postulating that Kubota manufacturers their HST's to extremely tight tolerances, so tight that thicker oils do not work well in them.

I plan to change over to Super UDT when the RTV hits the 50 hour mark. I will post the results when I get there.

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-23          91720

Awe Schucks Mark...............twert nuthin'. ;o) ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
WPHill

2004-07-23          91744

Good post! ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
kendall69

2004-08-02          92552

I didn’t buy into the super UDT thing so I went with the premium Amsoil stuff, it was OK. Then I just changed to the Super UDT - What a difference, it runs like a different tractor ( L4310).
The tranny Hydro, shifts sooo much smoother, and all around the stuff is great ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-03          92565

I just did the 50hr on my neighbor's 7800 and the dealer told him not to bother with the Super UDT and sold him UDT. This is in northern Michigan where it gets pretty cold for quite a while. What a mess. I wish everyone could get on the same page with this stuff. It is obvious from the specs that it performs much better at temperature extremes. I put it in his tractor, I bet he notices a difference. ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
kendall69

2004-08-03          92586

Another thing I forgot to mention is the tranny now seems to grab much better, when climbing or creeping with the Super UDT.

My local dealer actually told me he doesn’t use the super UDT, and tried to sell me way off brand stuff that he says he buys by the truck load. I said no thanks and drove two hours away and got the Super UDT.

I now realize the dealer makes a whole lot more profit on his generic stuff, and he gets to repair my tractor when it fails...and could care less that it runs better when I’m on it. ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
mchmj1

2010-05-24          171060

Chief,
Can you tell me where to find the spec's on the Super UDT so I can search for a suitable substitue?
Thank's ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-05-24          171061

Hi mchmj1,

The general consensus here is that while you may be able to find a substitute, you may have problems with the outcome. Don't know what size tractor you have or the hours you put on it that may influence your motivation, but we know someone makes it for Kubota so it has to be possible.

For me I buy the Super UDT and eat the higher cost, I do buy non Kubota Engine Oil Filters though. But on the Hydraulic filters I buy the Kubota ones just to be safe ....

Kubota Super UDT

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-05-25          171075

When you consider the cost of the tractor compared to the difference saved between the Super UDT and a replacement fluid it's pretty small. I grump a bit too when I buy the Deere branded fluids and filters. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login