Go Bottom Go Bottom

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jamesrm1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-03          90005

Hi to all, This is my first post. I just laid eyes on the Kubota bx23 yesterday and fell in love! I have had a hell of time keeping up with the landscaping around my house. The bx23 looks like the perfect size for me, but I want to make sure it can perform.
I have 2 acres property (1.5 grass) and a 200ft gravel driveway that I am about to dig up and redo. How does the bx23 perform scooping ¾ stone? Does it have any difficulties, does it have enough heft and power to cut into and lift a pile of 3/4 stone? If so do you think it has the ability to scoop even larger stone like 2 or 3 inch river stone? I have seen many of the promotional pictures in the brochure where they are handling a bail of hay or a bucket of sand. It seems if this machine can handle the larger stones then this may be the one I want.
Also, Is there a mulching deck available? I'm selling my JD155 with a 42" mulching deck. That deck seems to have worked well. I'm not into picking up grass. I'm considering a 60" mid mount for the new bx23. Thanks for you input.

Jim
Central NJ

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
WPHill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-04          90011

I don't personally own a BX23, but I think that the tractor itself for grounds maintenance would never disapoint you. As for redoing that 200 ft driveway, I think you might be pushing the tractor beyond its limits with the stone work. I am not saying that the tractor will not do the work, but it would take a lot longer then it would if you had a bigger tractor. You need to get some input from kwschumm, Art W, and DRankin. They will provide you with the most accurate info. Good Luck. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
Art White

2004-07-04          90012

For the size of your property, and the tasks you need to have done the BX can handle it. It has proven to be a very good performer and the chassis has been proven over the last four years by the home owners doing the same jobs you are looking to do. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-07-04          90016

Keep in mind WP, the driveway is a one time project. It's 8feet wide and the has a good base that has worn down and some dirt is showing. I intend to widen the driveway by acouple of feet. I'll dig a shallow footing and lay a belgum block edge. Then the task will be to move and spread 3/4 stone mixed w/stone dust from a large pile. I'll rent a tamper to pack it then top it with 3/8 pea gvl. It's a one time project, I'm can take my time, we live in a country setting there are no neighboors to complain about the work in progress. As long as that machine can cut into a pile of stone I'll be happy. The work after that will be lighter; planting trees on the property, landscaping tasks ect. Thanks WP and Art, I look foward to input from the others.
Jim ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-04          90023

I don't know much about the BX23 other than it's orange, it's cute, and everyone who has one seems to like them. They're supposed to be surprisingly strong for their size. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-04          90059

The BX bucket volume is matched to its hydraulic output. It will do the jobs you have outlined. Generally speaking, if you can scoop it, the BX will lift it.

You already know that the BX (and any other, under 3000 pound machine) is going to take more time to do the work than a 9000 pound Bobcat. So you are already wiser than a lot of new tractor buyers.

If someone tells you that the 1400 pound BX (weight minus the backhoe) can't move a given load, but their favorite 1400 pound Green, Blue or whatever can, they are trying to sell you a bill of goods.

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-04          90080

I've got a bx2200 which is pretty close to the same size and weight at the bx23 minus the hoe. It is a great little machine. More power than it should have considering it is so light. Without much weight on the back it's hard to fill the bucket. The hoe will counter the load in the bucket. Lift pressure isn't the best with the loader but pretty much what you would be please with from a 1500 pound or less machine. I think any of these BX's will do a good deal of work if you have the time. I have some big stuff to do to and will go slow doing it because once it's all done I'd much rather prefer having a small "every day" machine around my 5 acres to do the little stuff that a 6,000 machine that makes a mess on the lawn when I spread mulch. For the average "joe" homeowner the bx will do it. It takes a little longer on some of the bigger stuff and you won't be digging foundations with it but they work great. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-07-04          90086

The experience that I have had with my BX23 has been very favorable. It will do the tasks that you describe. While I have not yet moved the type of stone you mention, my FEL has moved soil and much larger stone very well. The backhoe, while small, will dig even in strong, heavy soil. I suggest that you try the BX23 for yourself by asking your dealer for some trial work at the dealership. Although it will likely be anything like the stone you wish to use for the drive, I am sure that you will be able to get a sense for what the BX23 can do. Remember that to scoop up a bucket of any material, the pile serves as the backing for your bucket load. The method you use will make a difference.

If you go with the BX23 with the MMM, I am sure that you will not be disappointed. Good luck. Please keep us informed on your deliberations.

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-07-05          90099

Thanks guys for all of your input. I'll let you know

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
ambernstein

2004-07-05          90119

I use my BX2200 to lift and spread 3/4 inch crushed stone all the time, 2 ton loads onto my driveway. No problems, very efficient and strong. Won't compete with a bobcat but you know that! You'll love what it can do. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
funchy

2004-07-05          90149

I have a bx23 and I'm very happy with it. My project this week was putting down 20 ton of crush-run on my driveway, and it has no problem moving the gravel. I think you'll be very happy with it. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-07-05          90153

I drove by a dealer in Titusville NJ, the dealers name is Midstate. He was closed the other day but he has about 20 brand new bx23s all in a row. What a sight! I stood there gazing in a daze... my wife thinks I'm a moron.

I'm hoping I can close the deal and get one of those puppies in my worn out driveway within a day or two.
Tractor point was a real find. I'm learning alot from you guys. thanks
For those of you newbies who need some help with all the implement jargon check out the glossary link below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-05          90155

The only knock I've heard about the BX kubotas is that they don't have tachometers. There are add-on tachs you can install but this is a shortcoming. How can you set the proper pto speed without a speed indication? ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-07-05          90157

Yes, no Tach on my BX2200 either which is odd. the other thing is the book says 2.7 qts of oil and to make the dip stick happy it take 3.5 qts? The only other down fall is don't go by the 70 or so inches of lift height, go by the dump height. With my truck on level ground (2002 1500 silverado 4x4) it's hard to "heap" a load because you run out of height. The only other thing is rear end weight. the bx23 comes with the backhoe but if you take it off plan on adding water in the tires or a weight box on the rear or it gets interesting. Before you pull the trigger on a new one post a bunch of flyers around looking for an almost new one. Alot of people buy these and do what they need to and then decide to sell them for a lot less. There are some deals out there. If you are close to CT. www.bargainnews.com is a great place to find them. Look in the yard tools section and the construction section. It is updated every thursday at 0700. I got my 3 year old bx2200 out of there for more than 60% off the original sales price. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jjcmaryland

2004-07-08          90365

I am also pleased with my BX. I added a tooth bar to help the FEL in the tougher stuff. You may want consider one for your driveway project. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-07-08          90384

It's 10:30pm, I just put the tractor to bed. It's my second day with it. I'm having a blast. I started this thread with the question of the bx23s strength; I can now speak from experience, this is a strong work horse. It has more than enough power, a tight powerful diesel engine. I worked 11 hours on 1 5gal tank of fuel. Some cons: Removing the back hoe and then reataching it is pretty tough. I guess there's a learning curve and hopfully I'll get better at it. I'd like to hear from you guys who have mastered it. Can you get it off an on without a hitch? I still havent tried the MMM. That's next.
A refrigerated cup holder would be nice too. Other than that I'm lovin it. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-07-09          90479

Glad that your loving it. As I said before, it has the power to do what you indicated.

I have not detached the backhoe yet, but the instructions in the BX23 manual are pretty clear. Have also heard that after you have done it a few times, you get the hang of it.

Enjoy! ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-07-09          90480

jjc: What kind of tooth bar did you get, and where did you get it from? ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-07-09          90481

I went to the hardware store today and bought 2 80# bags of ready mix, a 10 gallon metal garbage can and a 1/2" steel round stock. Put it through the can, mixed the cement in my wheel barrow and filled it. It comes on and off easily with teh 3 point hitch. I threw a couple of eye botls in the top to connect all 3 points, what a difference in tight spaces where the york rake is too big. My BX is 100% more stable with this small amou8nt of weight. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
offtrack

2004-07-10          90516

I have had my BX22 for almost a year now and love it. When you go to remove the bh make sure you have it on solid ground or blocked directly under the three main contact points, otherwise it can possibly sink enough over time so that when you go to reattach it the hoses won't reach and you're using a hydraulic lift under the main frame to compensate. Step by step review as you are doing it helps and of course repitition. A box blade is a great moderately priced counterweight and handy grading tool for your driveway. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
jjcmaryland

2004-07-11          90594

AV8R,
Based on a recommendation I received here, I purchased the tooth bar from TractorSmart.com. Delevered to the door was $297.00. They were back-ordered at the time for about 2 weeks. I dealt with Ronnie. I think it made a big difference "scraping" some hard soil I have. The teeth are fairly sharp and can be taken off sharpening or replacement. Easy to install, I used a 1" drill bit(and some cutting oil)for the required hole on each side of the bucket. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors How strong is the Bx23

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
donnyd48

2017-03-17          196392

Just got a BX23S and for sure, they have tachs. In fact, I think all of the BXs do. ....

How strong is the Bx23

View my Photos
donnyd48

2017-03-17          196395

I just bought a new BX23S 2 days ago. I've backhoed a ton of dirt trying to open up culvert pipe under my driveway that was almost completely under dirt that had filled in in front of it. I bucket loader graded the banks of this dry stream bed, and hauled all the dug out material up by my corral to fill in low spots. So after 2 days of using this machine, I have to say it is amazing. It has plenty of power...enough to lift up a big pile of hardened concrete that was dumped by my field after they poured my barn slab. I totally love the back hoe.
So about the "how strong is it" question, I'd say strong enough. This is my 4th Kubota; two were bigger and one was a bit smaller, but out of all those tools, this one makes the most sense to me on my 6 acre mini ranch. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login