Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-25-2004, 10:19 Post: 86789
snmhanson

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT

I am finishing up my fifty hour service on my B7800. The only thing I have left to do is change the transmission fluid and filter. My dealer who also sells Deere gave me some of Deere's Hy-Gard transmission oil. They said it is all they have and they use it in everything - I think because it's cheaper than the Kubota transmission fluid. However, my manual is pretty adament about using UGT or Super UGT. I realize there are other fluids that will work but will the Deere oil they gave me work well or should I seek out something else. The only thing that really concerns me a little is that I heard that using transmission OIL rather than FLUID can damage wet brakes. Is that right or is there really no difference between transmission oil and transmissio fluid? Thanks for the help.

Matt

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

05-25-2004, 12:07 Post: 86803
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

It is a common practice for dealers to sell two or more tractor lines and only one brand of fluid.

The dealer down the road uses Deere fluids in Kubotas and has for years. The dealer in the next county uses Case fluids in all the Kubota's he sells, including my RTV.

In fact, the nearest dealer I can find that stocks Kubota tractors and Kubota fluids is 130 miles away in another state.

You will know if the fluids are incompatible with your wet brakes because the brakes will "chatter". The only fluid incompatibility (due to brake chatter)I have heard about is Case fluid in Deere tractors and vice-versa.

05-25-2004, 13:02 Post: 86808
snmhanson

Filter by User

Thanks DRankin, just the answer I was hoping for. Now I don't have to go on a hunt for Kubota trans fluid. I'll keep an eye on my brakes but it sounds like it should work fine.

Matt

05-25-2004, 14:19 Post: 86816
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

As long as the fluid meets spec. you'll be fine.

The only thing you really have to watch is if you have a HST unit, regular hydraulic fluid is not the same as that required by a HST unit.

HST units require higher levels of certain additives, especially anti-foaming agents.

Best of luck.

05-25-2004, 19:54 Post: 86850
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Well we sell nh case ih and kubota. nh uses regular universal hyd. fluid as do the "NEW" cases the older cases use hy-trans, and kubota's use the ugt. We do not mix any of the different fluids. BUT if your dealer is selling you different fluid than it is his ass if your pump goes out. Because when you do a warranty repair we have to send the defective pat to the respective manufacture for analysis. and if they find a different fluid than what they say they will deny the claim. But then the dealer will have to eat the repair bill cause he sold it to you. I know kubota if very picky about what juice you run through it.

05-25-2004, 20:41 Post: 86855
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Just like the quality levels in everything else oil has it's variations too. We are a multi line dealer and would love to sell just one brand of oils. We have our favorites for there different applications. We do recommend Super UDT for the Kubota's and strongly over the Deere oil and even over our CNH oils.

05-26-2004, 05:55 Post: 86877
jarndt

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

You have to ask yourself... What am I saving by not using the correct oil? Money? Convenience? Surely not in the long run on either account. Why guess at all? The difference in cost is maybe a few dollars up front. I would question any dealer that does not follow the manufacturer's instructions. The engineers that designed the machine KNOW the reasons why certain specs are there. Save yourself the trouble and use Kubota fluids in a Kubota, Deere fluids in a Deere and so on.

05-26-2004, 07:40 Post: 86890
snmhanson

Filter by User

Alright, I had to go to the big city anyway so I stopped by the next closest Kubota dealer and picked up some Super UDT. I'm sure the Deere oil would have worked out ok but it was only a five minute detour to get the Kubota fluid. I will return the Deere stuff or give it to a farmer down the road. Thanks for the help.

I was also hoping to give a run down of what I did for my fifty hour service just for a little reassurance that I did it all correctly. Here is what I did in the order that I did it:

- Conducted test of tractor starting per manual.

- Drained engine oil at both drain plugs, replaced engine oil filter, refilled engine oil, ran engine for a minute or so and added a little more oil to get it to the correct level.

- Drained tansmission fluid at all four drain plugs (the plug at the transmission housing was smaller than the other three and drained really slow?), replaced both transmission fluid filter and hydro filter, will remove strainer and clean with kerosene but I need to get a larger socket to fit the strainer and then will add ~3.8 gallons Super UDT.

- The old filters were all on pretty tight, especially the trans fluid filter. I actually dented the trans and hydraulic filters while taking them off with a filter remover. When putting the new ones on I followed the directions and only turned them ~1/2 turn by hand after the seal came in contact. However, they are not on as tight as the old ones were. Should I tighten them a little more or just leave them how they are?

- Also, some of the new filters are SLIGHTLY different than the old filters. By slightly I mean a couple of the holes on the inside are maybe just a different shape or size or configured a little differently and the aesthetics are maybe a little different but the filters themselves are the same size and they all fit well. I double checked the numbers on the boxes and they matched what the specs from the Kubota website called for. Is it normal for the replacement filters to vary slightly from the original ones? I think I'm just being paranoid here but I'd rather ask a dumb question than be sorry.

- Inspected and replaced outer air filter - It was pretty dirty and didn't let any light through when looking into it at a light.

- Still need to grease all points on tractor and FEL and check tire pressure and bolts but I do that somewhat regularly anyway.

I've never really done this type of maintainance work before so I'm just being a little cautious. Is there anything I forgot or did wrong? If, by chance, I screwed something up with the oil or filters would it be obvious when I run the tractor or can a mistake be made that will hurt the tractor without me knowing about it? The changing of the oil and filters almost seemed too easy but I followed the manual pretty closely so I think I got it all right. Any suggestions or hints would be great. Thanks again for all the help!

Matt

05-26-2004, 08:43 Post: 86895
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Sounds like a complete service to me.

The filters will vary slightly in cosmetics, as long as the part #'s match you are good to go. As far as tightening the filters: if they are not leaking they are on tight enough.

Some manuals recommend blowing the dust out of the outer air filter with compressed air, might save a couple bucks next time.

05-26-2004, 09:24 Post: 86905
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Does the Kubota manual say to use ONLY Super UDT? Or does it give some fluid specs that should be followed? The JD manual recommends their HyGard fluids (of course) but also says you can use any transmission fluid that meets JDM20D or J20C specs. Not sure if those specs are specific to JD or if they are used industry wide (or both). I'm curious if these specs are printed on the label of the Kubota fluids.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 86789 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 2 | Art White 3 | beagle 3 | Billy 2 | bluetay 1 | bobodude 2 | bristan8 1 | Chief 6 | DRankin 10 | Foozer 2 | hardwood 1 | jarndt 1 | jeff r 1 | Jim on Timberridge 1 | kwschumm 8 | Murf 2 | n88wrl 1 | oneace 7 | snmhanson 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc