Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST

View my Photos
mattdavid
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-19          80436

I test drove the Kioti CK20HST yesterday and I noticed something. The very weight and size of it seemed almost intimidating compared to the very nimble, smaller (and more powerful) BX2230. I guess when I thought of taking that heavy Kioti sled into my sloped yard to cut grass, I was thinking it would sink like the Titanic and leave marks. It seems perfectly suited for work in the "soil" but a little big and clumsy in a semi-residential yard. On the other hand, I like the fact that the BX2230 is the size of a large garden tractor. It has a lower center of gravity (remember; hills) and my ego is not sufficiently large to require a climb worthy of an 18-wheeler to get behind the wheel. Gee, I think I've answered my own post! Going shopping next week, I've yet to try digging w/BX23 so maybe I'll upgrade.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-19          80444

I have owned deere before. Now i will only own kubota. My local dealer can't even keep those Bx23 in stock. Home owner and commercial contractors are buying them. You will be much happier with the Kubota. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-20          80473

The tractors are the product two different designs philosophies.
The Kioti is a work/field tractor design with the weight and mass necessary for heavy field work. The BX2230 is primarily designed as a lawn tractor which can do some light field work. The weight is important not necessarily for the compaction of soil as the tires can be larger, but movement of equipment from site to site.
If we look at Deere we can see them waffling between the two design philosophies. Deere had the X50 and x55 series the X50 was a field design the the X55 was a lawn design. They tried to eliminate the dual lines with the 4000 series, but have since added back in the lighter series in the smaller tractors.
The tractor will not necessarily damage the turf any worse than the ligher one. The question is what are you going to use the tractor for? If you are primarily mowing the lawn then. If you are mowing the field, plowing, tilling, disking, grading the road, etc. then the added weigh will be useful. I recently got rid of my 955 as it was too light. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-20          80480

I don't agree with the statement that a larger tractor weight won't hurt the turf as it will. That is why people areate lawns, that is why today we are deep tilling or ripping agriculture fields to remove the compaction that
large overweight farm tractors have done to the fields. Today we try to keep the farm tractors about 120 lbs per horsepower for maximum performance and productivity as well as longevity! For lawns it's about half that at 70 to 80lbs prefered. ....

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-20          80483

I strongly feel that the use determines the tractor you need. I own a wonderful 20 HP Toro WheelHorse for my lawn needs and my driveway clearing needs. But on my second property I needed more clearance and more work applications which needed live pto and 3 pt hitch. Weight and danger of wrecking the lawn were not a concern at camp so I elected to go with the CK20. Good local dealer and lower price clenched me on the ck20. ....

View my Photos
EM57pe

2004-03-20          80486

You are right about the maneuverability of the BX. It is ideal for close quarters, yet plenty of power for real work. Let us know how you like the '23 -- I love mine!

View my Photos
mattdavid

2004-03-20          80487

I will be using the tractor to cut grass, bushhog, and loader everyday for the ponies; manure and replacing clay floors occasionally. I would also like to get rid of some trees in the woods (dig the roots w/hoe?) if capable. I'll either get the BX alone or the Kioti CK20HST w/loader/hoe AND a JD lawn tractor (L120) for cutting grass only. I know the Kioti hoe takes some time to attach/detach but it has 50% higher breakout force at bucket, (2940lbs) vs Kubota BX23 (1940). The great thing is........it's a buyers' market. It's like buying a current digital camera...can't hardly go wrong.

Matt ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-20          80489

Art brings up a good point about compation, I read somewhere when tractor first started being used alot of farmers refused to use them because fear of compaction, it turned out they were doing more compacting with their mules and horses then the farm tractors of that time (Farmall F20, Allis Chalmers WC etc. or even earlier). ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-21          80665

The tractor will not necessarily damage the turf any worse than the lighter one. It all depends on the pounds per square inch applied to the ground. In the north heavy trucks are used to travel over the delicate and environmentally fragile tundra mounted with large soft tires.
The BX2230 is mounted with 18-8.50 (56.5 rolling diameter)and 26-12 (81.7). The CK20 has 23-8.50 (72.5)and 33-12.50 (104). I found some data on the contact areas of turf tires but not these sizes. I would venture to guess that the contact area of the Kioti is more than double that of the Kubota. Meaning that it actually has less PSI on the grass.
The main problems with the extra weight is in the loading on corners and hills. If you don't drive like NASCAR I don't see the problem.
The other factor to consider is how soft is your soil in the spring? ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-03-22          80683

I'd just like to chime in a mention that I too used to have an old WheelHorse (like burtalm) and it was a good little garden tractor, but a world apart from my BX. The kubota is longer, wider, heavier, has bigger tires, more engine, a better turning radius (believe it or not), 4WD, and most importantly a 3PH. It's wider track makes it much more stable on a slope. I take it places that I wouldn't dare have taken the old WheelHorse (keeping in mind or course not to get overconfident with the 4WD capability). I really couldn't imagine mowing a lawn with anything much bigger though. A field or a large open backyard maybe, but up around the house anything bigger than a BX is overkill. ....

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-22          80758

At home on the yard it's definitely the LAWN tractor but I know that on the woodlot the wheel horse doesn't have the clearance, 3ph, etc. When I bought the camp, I knew the wheel horse couldn't do what I wanted, so thus came the kioti. But coyotes are more wild animals anyway aren't they/ :) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-03-22          80764

Peters, I doubt it is double and it is often a problem, maybe just more in some areas then others. I've seen enough of it to know that it does exist and if anyone would like more info about it they can go to there local Co-operative extension office and find out for themselves. They also have much info on it for special application such as sports fields. It does play into lawns and farmers fields, most manufacturers are aware of the problems and design products to not damage the soil or turf. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-22          80767

Art
I have had two tractors on turfs and on the same lawn. The one tractor was some 1000 lb. heavier than the other, but the tires were nearly double the size. It certainly felt heavier in operation it but I never saw any difference on the lawn.
It would be a good exercise to determine the contact area of the two tractors and compare it to a regular lawn tractor. Might be useful info to move someone into a CUT. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-03-22          80774

As long as we are chiming, all the points about weight distribution address the compaction issue, but where I have had trouble with weight is when turning. The heavier the machine, the more damage can be done while turning. I mentioned in another thread that I found it necessary to make sure I didn't mow with the loader on, not because of interferences, but because of the weight on the front axles. Depends on your soil for sure, but be carefull of the reaction at the lawn required to turn the tractor.

I also had a Wheel Horse at one time. What a great tractor. Sold it to the neighbor several years ago, he's still using it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login