soil prep - tilling with a BX: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review soil prep - tilling with a BX: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-17-2004, 11:37 Post: 80151
jarndt

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 soil prep - tilling with a BX

My wife and I are gearing up to plant a small vegetable garden this season. We have a 50ft x 40ft plot picked out in one corner of our property. The soil is typically hard and somewhat rocky. My thoughts were to run a subsoiler back and forth through the area first, pick out the rocks, and then run a tiller over the soil to mix in some compost. First question: is this a good plan of attack? Second question: Can my BX1500 handle a job like this using the 37" Kubota or smaller aftermarket PTO tiller? I have no problem making more than one pass over the same area to get down to the right depth, or taking smaller than full-width swaths to "nibble" away at the soil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-17-2004, 12:15 Post: 80157
itsgottobegreen

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

This is how i do gardens and seed beds. I take my JD 214 with 10" plow and turned over really hard soil first. If the soil isn't really hard. I run the tiller at 3" Depth. Then again at 6". I hook up my rock rake and rake the rocks off the surface. Then put down the compost and then till that in and rake the surface again for rocks. After doing this several years before each planting season you will have a great rock free soil. I always have good results doing this for seed beds. I only do one or two gardens a year.

03-17-2004, 14:19 Post: 80170
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I agree with the soil prep tips. However, I feel you will continue to get stones working their way up. If you have frost in the ground, they will continue to do so. We've had a farm in the family for 147 years now and they keep coming up. You can keep most of the stones in check by continuing to pick them up.

For that size garden plot you will also need a walk behind tiller to work between the plants to keep the weeds under control. I like the rear tine walk behinds. I've had my MTD for about 7 years now without any trouble.

03-18-2004, 05:53 Post: 80243
jarndt

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

What size stones might I expect to cause damage to a light duty tiller such one that might work behind a BX? I want to make sure that I don't clean off a bunch of tines the first time I use it.

03-18-2004, 06:15 Post: 80244
TomG

TP Contributor

I think some fairly wide tips can be gotten for middle busters or sub-soilers. Some of them almost make furrows but I forget what they're called (chisel plows maybe and there's something used for potatoes). I don't think of the ordinary ones as very good at bringing rocks to the surface, and a single tooth would miss a bunch of smaller stuff anyway. I do use my box scraper scarifiers to get a finer combing at the depth a tiller's going to work. I also used it to remove the original sod and occasionally to work below the working depth of my small walk-behind tiller (tillers can make a compacted layer below their working depth).

It's easy to over-mechanize small jobs and I stick with a small walk-behind tiller but my tractor is larger than a BX. Even so, I still can't use the tiller for weed control because my wife puts in too many rows. Weed control is a hand hoe and rock picking is hands alone but it's good to get out of the tractor seat sometimes.

03-18-2004, 07:53 Post: 80258
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have a larger CUT than you. I fall plow with a single bottom moldboard plow about 6-8" deep. In the spring I go over it once with my landscaping rake (photo #8) which has spikes in the front and beam to level furrows, etc. I then do the garden with my walk behind tiller. I'm hitting some 4-6" stones at times which gives me a slight jolt as it jumps over it. I have allot of stones that just fit between the rows of tiller blades that often jam. By reversing the rotation, they often unplug. When it jams, the belt slips.

With a PTO driven tiller you have positive drive. If you hit too hard, you will bust-off a shear pin. The weight of the device won't bounce over like the walk behind.

I also have a 32" wide (approx.)belt driven rear tiller that fits my lawn & garden tractor. I have several garden plots at several properties. Only one property has the stones. I quite using this one on that property since it got to be a pain bouncing and jamming on rocks.

The size garden you're speaking of can be done with a walk behind once the you have broken the sod. A fall plowing breaks up the soil while the frost heaves and further loosens it. I don't know if your tractor is large enough to do a moldboard style plow so a chisel plow will do pretty much the same thing.

If you try to go from a plowed garden directly to a walk behind tiller, the uneven terrain really is hard to muscle through. (kinda like a boat on the perfect storm).

I also have a 60" KK tiller. I use it up-north and have hit some rocks and cement slabs and many tree roots. I've only broken a few shear pins while the rest of the unit seems ok. If you are careful, you can get by without damaging much.

03-18-2004, 14:06 Post: 80313
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

The stones should not be a problem as it will just make the tiller jump. If it was reverse tine then you might have some stones jamming up under the top sheetmetal. The plus of your tractor is the hydro, PTO work is where you can do with a lesser horsepower tractor than a gear drive can.

03-20-2004, 09:52 Post: 80471
itsgottobegreen

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

i have a slip clutch on my tiller. Its worth every penny. I bought it for $166 used. The guy i bought it from paided something like $1400 for it. Now i did have to bring it back from the dead. Since this guy left it out side for 10m years. But he had tilled 3 acres with it and never used it again.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 80151 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | itsgottobegreen 2 | jarndt 2 | TomG 1 | yooperpete 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc