Is my cooling system working correctly?: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Is my cooling system working correctly?: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-29-2003, 19:33 Post: 69954
BARNEE

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Is my cooling system working correctly?

Hi all. Today i got to put some seat time in on my new L3000DT. Man, did i have fun. Spent most of the time in the pasture cleaning up downed trees and brush. This machine works great & makes doing these jobs a LOT easier. Even though the tractor worked fine I noticed the temperature guage never got higher than the 'C' mark during operation. When I shut the engine off & turn the key on, the temp indicator goes to just slightly above the 'C' mark. When the tractor is started it returns to the 'C' mark. Does anyone know if this is normal for these tractors or do i have a cooling system problem?? During the day i even took it down the road to about 5 miles to get some fuel. Never left the 'C' mark.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

11-30-2003, 07:20 Post: 69966
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Assuming it's a conventional cooling it's not normal and the problem solving it usually is sorting out if it's the gauge, wiring, sensor or the thermostat--or rarely something else. It should be figured out because running diesels below operating temperature doesn't do them any good. I'd check if the upper rad hose gets fairly warm after some operation. That's a pretty good indication the thermostat is opening and the problem likely is the wiring, sensor or qauge. Coolant temperature can be measured directly through the rad cap, which should be removed before warming up the tractor. Coolant circulation also can be seen through the cap, which tells you the water pump is working.

A test for the sensor on some systems is simply removing the sensor wire and touching it to ground. If the gauge is working it should read full-scale and that tells you the gauge is working. It'd be a good idea to contact your dealer to see if that's acceptable test for your tractor. There are resistance checks that can be run on the sensor but procedures should come from a manual.

11-30-2003, 08:49 Post: 69971
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I haven't got enough seat time to tell you where it should be running. Gauges normally do not have one place they should run as they seem to run in different places depending on the sending units used and the gauge. It is wise to watch your gauges and know where they normally read. Unless you were brushogging or doing something more consistant then loader work it very well was where it might normally run under those conditions.

11-30-2003, 18:31 Post: 70005
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Some do read pretty low when they aren't being worked too hard but I don't think that a gauge that doesn't come off the peg even when sitting idling should be considered normal. Low temperatures as well as high ones are signs of malfunction. You can't tell a low temperature condition easily if the gauge doesn't come into the operating rage under normal conditions. There'd be no good way to tell that the thermostat stuck open and the engine is running cool or that that the coolant wasn't circulating--could be frozen or almost empty and the engine is actually over-heating. A bad water pump or broken fan belt may also result in a gauge going to cold on some engines.

My wife blew a head gasket on her car recently due to running a hot engine. There was a large leak in a rad hose. The temp went to hot and she should have stopped but the temp went back down so she kept going. The coolant got so low that the pump wasn't getting coolant to the sensor.

12-01-2003, 08:43 Post: 70034
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

There could be several causes for this low reading.

Assuming there is enough water in the system for the sensor to read properly.

Often the sensor goes bad and is replaced by an out of spec. unit, usually because of cost or availablity. If the new sensor has a different resistance it will cause a lower or higher reading.

If your unit does show a variance in the reading but it is not accurate this may be the case. Some temperature guages have an adjustment screw on the back, this is so that variances in manufacturing, wiring, etc., can be accomodated. If you have a thermometer you know is accurate you can use this screw to 'trim' the guage so that it reads more accurately.

Best of luck.

12-01-2003, 19:34 Post: 70065
BARNEE

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I talked to the dealer today & he basically mentioned all that has been posted. Guess my next step will be to ensure the cooling system is working. Then it will either be a sensor problem or that the thermostat is stuck open. Either way i won't be able to do anything til this weekend. Thanx for the help. I'll let you know what i find out..

12-06-2003, 19:47 Post: 70443
BARNEE

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I've looked things over in more detail, but am no closer to an answer. Here's what i've found so far:

-the cooling system is full
-a thermometer stuck in the top of the radiator gets to 135-140 deg. at fast idle & the temp guage reads on the 'C' mark. When i'm using the tractor the guage stays on the 'C' mark.
-the upper hose to the radiator is a lot warmer than the bottom (as is the upper part of the radiator) which to me indicates theres no or little flow thru the radiator
-the fan sucks air through the radiator rather than blowing on the radiator.

I talked to the dealer again & he's gonna check into it further to see if he can find out what it's supposed to run at. He thinks it has a 175 deg F thermostat in it.

Anyone out there with a L2600 or L3000 that could let me know how your temperature indication behaves?

12-06-2003, 20:49 Post: 70445
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Barnee;
The systems normally pump into the top of the rad and take the cold water out of the bottom. Thus if the rad is a little low then the water can still circulate by gravity.
From the description it would indicate that the thermostat is opening prematurely or staying open therefore the system is not heating up properly.
Peters

12-07-2003, 06:54 Post: 70457
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Thermometer readings through the rad fill aren't the same as right at the sensor but that reading sounds low even given some inaccuracy. That's quite a bit below most normal operating temperatures and a normally working gauge may well not come off the peg but somebody who knows the tractor might know.

I'm with Peters, it sounds like a bad thermostat. My Ford behaved exactly the same way, although heavy work on a hot day would warm it up. I replaced the thermostat and now the temp comes into the operating range at idle. It also smokes less when doing light work and that's good for the engine. An oil change might be good.

In my case I think the problem may have been that somebody installed the gasket on the wrong side of the thermostat rather than the thermostat itself but thermostats aren't expensive enough to worry about much. If the thermostat is opening you probably can see the water circulating through the cap (remove it when the engine is cold). If it's closed the top hose won't get warm because there's little circulation through it. There is a small bypass on many systems but it doesn't go through the rad.

12-11-2003, 20:12 Post: 70883
plugger

Well whats the verdict? I have a MX5000 with the temp. gauge doing the same no matter how hard you work it I have 38 hrs. on it Been that way since new Should I get it checked out?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 69954 Filter by Poster:
Art White 6 | BARNEE 7 | BigAlinNS 1 | Chief 3 | GaleHawkins 1 | kwschumm 8 | Murf 1 | Peters 4 | plugger 1 | TomG 7 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc