Run Time: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Run Time: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 08-09-2003, 20:07 Post: 61398
blizzard

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Run Time

I'm getting an L3130HST.

Anyone got any info as to fuel economy. What I mean is how many gallons per hour do you think you use for:

1)Loader work
2)Mowing
3)Woods work
4)Brush cutting
5)PTO Auxilliary ( generator, woodsplitter, pump, etc.
6)Snowblowing
7)JFA ( having fun using my tractor at some possibly useful task)

I'm asking 'cause I would like to prepare myself for the cost of a fuel tank here where it is not easy to get to town. Espcially in Winter. Figures you give don't have to be EXACT, just a seat-of-the-pants educated guess.

Thanks in advance,
bliz

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

08-09-2003, 22:38 Post: 61405
Hillslider

Run Time

Well congrats on your soon to be purchase. I am a new owner of a L3130HST and there is nothing better than that little tractor. The only thing I have really used it for is brush cutting with a 5' mower and some back blading on the driveway. I can tell you that the longest I used it at one time was when I first got it. Mowed all of my 10 acres of property. I went slow to really enjoy her. I used about 3/4 of the tank.....about 6 hours of use. I now have 36 hrs on her and have used only about 25 gal of fuel. For me I have just been using 5 Gallon cans......but from what I here this is hard to do with a FEL. I would love to get one of those fuel caddys with a built in pump and hose but they are big bucks and CFO says no. CFO said maybe after the new baby is born I can have some more toys! So until then I will lug the cans around.

08-09-2003, 23:45 Post: 61409
jeff r

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Run Time

Hillslider,

Get a nice 55 gal drum from a local body shop that had automotive paint thinner in it. That will be a clean barrel for diesel fuel. Then get yourself a nice rotary fill pump with hose and you will be all set. Just saw a rotary pump for a 55 gal barrel bung at Harbor Freight for 9.97 reg 19.97. Looks like it will do the job cheap. Now you can get the fuel oil guy to home deliver to you or use your front loader to put it into your pick-up truck or trailer. A 55 gallon weighs about 450 pounds filled based on 8 pounds per gallon. 55 gallons of fuel sitting around is plenty for what you need. You can add to it by 5 gallons at a time at your convenience if your fuel oil guy doesn't do 50 gallon orders.

Jeffr

08-10-2003, 06:50 Post: 61421
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Run Time

You might go to the dealer that you bought your tractor from. We fill enough tractors in a year to have an extra 50 drums or so. Often in the surrounding counties we sell them for 5. per for burning barrels. If a customer asked that just bought a new tractor from me I'd just be asking which one would you like! We also are getting quite a few 35 gallon drums now which are quite manageable. I might recommend those so not to have to much winter, summer concentrations left over.

08-10-2003, 10:44 Post: 61446
blizzard

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Run Time

Thanks for the info.

I must be suffering trom the dreaded CRS 'cause when I was at the dealer last week he offered some free pallets to store my attachments on. I never thought to ask about empty drums! Oh well, another trip down I guess.

bliz

08-11-2003, 00:21 Post: 61482
Neophyte

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Run Time

Can you use standard home heating oil in diesel tractors, generators, etc.? This would be home heating oil for an inside tank and not an outside tank. I have always thought about putting a spout on one of my 275 gallon tanks to fill fuel cans, etc. Obviously, I would need to put a lock on this spout so kids can't open it and fill my basement with heating oil.

What is the difference between home heating oil (inside tanks), home heating oil (outside tanks) and diesel fuel at a gas station, besides the taxes?

08-11-2003, 00:43 Post: 61484
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Run Time

"What is the difference between home heating oil (inside tanks), home heating oil (outside tanks) and diesel fuel at a gas station, besides the taxes?

My home heating oil bill says Diesel #2. The only difference is they put red dye in it so that the authorities know it is untaxed.

08-11-2003, 08:25 Post: 61498
TomG

TP Contributor

Run Time

Inside furnace oil usually is #2 diesel and outside oil usually is close to #1 diesel in cold areas. #2 diesel will gel but #1 won't in most places. I use mostly #1 disel in my tractor during the worst parts of winter. #1 diesel also is called stove oil since heavier oil doesn't work well in stoves.

In the past there may have been an issue of the standards used to handle and store fuel sold for furnaces and for diesels but any distinction likely is history now. You might ask your oil distributor, but the answer likely would be that off-road diesel and furnace oil comes from the same place. Outside oil likely is closer to #1 and also has less btu's and produces a bit less power.Tax is the main difference. Taxed fuel probably has a lower sulfur content if that's an issue. If inside oil is used in a cold climate, anti-gel additive should be used.

08-11-2003, 08:31 Post: 61499
blizzard

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Run Time

I looked up the MSDS sheet for #2 fuel oil at www hess com.

One line caught my attention:
SYNONYMS: #2 Heating Oil; 2 Oil; Off-road Diesel Fuel

BUT there are some differences in #2 fuel, Diesel, Marine Diesel, Off Road Diesel, mostly relating to "special additives" ,and of course amount of sulfur. Also diesel has a flash point greater than 125F, fuel oil, kero, JP-A around 100. This could be a safety problem.

Home heating oil for outside storage has additives to lower the 'cloud point' and pour point for low temperature use. One site said their diesel was formulated to have a Cold Filter Plug Point below -25F.

JP-4 contains benzine (very hazardous) and has a flash point from -30F to 10F which puts it close to gasoline (-40F) in flammability.

FYI, Flash Point of a liquid is determined by heating a liquid and measuring its temperature when a small open flame will ignight the vapors just above the liquid and cause a 'flash' Continuous burning usually occurs at a (very) slightly higher temp.

I guess there are 'Industry Standards' that fuels have to meet.
If you buy reasonably fresh diesel or off-road diesel or Special diesel or Marine diesel your machine should run fine.
If the standards change, you will be aware of the changes, either from the machine manufacturer, fuel supplier, or the news (TractorPoint) .
This is not true if you use a 'replacement' fuel.

Add a quality diesel fuel conditioner and change the filters at the recommended intervals. Unless you use a lot of fuel, can you justify the cost of downtime/repair versus fuel savings?

I probably should post this in the fuel forum, but the thread is here (; bliz

08-11-2003, 09:13 Post: 61507
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Run Time

Call the company. I'll bet you they will tell you it is #2 diesel that alltheir indoor customers receive.

I think what others on here have said is true, the distinction is a thing of the past. It is cheaper for them to have one product and add dye.

If you check other forums there are countless people running the stuff in everything from big trucks to little diesel generators. The "legality" is another issue Smile but I have never seen a post where equipment was harmed. I also had a friend who commuted everyday about 160 miles roundtrip in a Mercedes diesel it never saw anything but home heating oil and had over 200,000 miles.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 61398 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | blizzard 4 | Chief 5 | DRankin 1 | F350Lawman 4 | Hillslider 1 | jeff r 1 | Murf 1 | Neophyte 1 | TomG 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc