Backhoe Opinions: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Backhoe Opinions: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-03-2003, 20:12 Post: 50448
luke286

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Backhoe Opinions

I'm trying to understand the best backhoe for the dollar with the many MFG's to choose from. I'm a homeowner and will be using the hoe around the house for small projects, no contractor work.

Anyone have any recommendations on who to choose or stay away from?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-04-2003, 04:09 Post: 50462
hardwood

TP Contributor

Backhoe Opinions

Luke, I'm not familiar enough with Kobota to know if they make a hoe atachment or not, but I've allways had better luck keeping atachment brands matched to tractor brand. If you'r doing light duty only a 3 pt. hitch model would probably work fine, but the hoes with a subframe that stays on the tractor when the hoe is off are easier on the tractor frame. The subframe spreads the load of the hoe over a bigger aeria of the tractor rather than just the three pt. I've never priced a 3 pt. model, but I'm sure there less for a like size unit. Perhaps you might find a used subframe model for the same or less money than a new 3 pt. Enjoy your shopping.

03-04-2003, 06:31 Post: 50466
TomG

TP Contributor

Backhoe Opinions

I don't know if you already have the tractor but some are more tolerant to 3ph hoes than others. I don't imagine the warranties for any compact covers damage from 3ph-hoe use and probably a dealer wouldn't recommend one, but you might check. Informing yourself about the possible damage to a tractor from 3ph-hoe use in the archives here also would be good.

Irrespective of all appropriate cautions, a 3ph hoe is what I have for my 24 pto hp mid-80's Ford My dealer recommended a Kelley B600 when I bought the tractor used. The hoe has served my occasional homeowner type needs just fine for four years.

The B600 is a moderate quality and moderate cost hoe that is also not especially strong for the tractor, which is good in a 3ph type. It has a 12" bucket and runs OK from the 6.9-gpm tractor hydraulics. Its practical trenching depth is around 5' although it will dig a 2' bottom 6' deep when close to the tractor. The bucket does not swing a full 180-degrees, which restricts how far from a hole dirt can be dumped. I do have some mild maintenance things to sort out this summer.

Mounts for a 3ph hoe should be considered. They should stabilize the hoe and also lock the 3ph down to prevent the hitch from accidentally going into lift mode when somebody is in the hoe seat. The Kelley mount is capable of distribution some load to the drawbar, which might be desirable in a 3ph model.

The Kelley mounts require a plate for stabilizers to be mounted on the drawbar. Some drawbars have to have a large hole drilled in them to get the plate close enough to the drawbar support but mine didn't. Removing the drawbar top-plate provided an appropriate mounting hole.

I guess that's a bunch of detail about Kelley hoes. There are quite a few after-market hoes to choose from--both 3ph and sub-frame. I hope all this detail gives you something to work with when you start evaluation different makes.

03-04-2003, 07:46 Post: 50473
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Backhoe Opinions

Luke,
I keep recommending the same hoe (yes I sell it) for a very good reason. It is the best I have seen. Several of the major backhoe companies have either tried to buy our hoe and rebrand it or tried to copy it. See the Mazzotti Backhoes. They are among the cheapest/ full featured on the market. Currently their are two sizes available with 3 more to follow in March. They are three point, have their own pump. Have a special restrictor that automatically slows the swing of the boom to a stop in last 1.5 inch of swing(instead of using cheap slam bumpers; go ahead ask these guys what I mean!) They also have the heaviest construction in the boom and in the stabilizers. Best pritection for the legs and shin bones too. The whole unit is basically and industrial backhoe built in Italy that has been redisgned for three point hitches here in the US. Follow the equipment links to Mazzotti

Link:   Mazzotti 

03-04-2003, 08:44 Post: 50479
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Backhoe Opinions

Luke, which model tractor do you have?

03-04-2003, 17:43 Post: 50513
luke286

Filter by User
 Backhoe Opinions

The tractor I've purchased is a Kubota B7500 (21 HP).

03-04-2003, 17:48 Post: 50514
luke286

Filter by User
 Backhoe Opinions

MArk, The Mazzotti looks like a nice unit. Can you provide pricing for the 180 and 200 units with all safety devices you'd reccommend?

03-06-2003, 12:20 Post: 50630
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Backhoe Opinions

The 180 will be availvable in May and sell for 3995. The 200's are available and are 4495. All saftey equipment is included(transport locks, saftey lift point, solid top link bar etc,). You need to determine the size of bucket that you want the 200 comes standard with a 12 inch. Other sizes are available from 9" to 24".

03-12-2003, 05:58 Post: 51010
jeff r

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Backhoe Opinions

MAZOTTI is a nice hoe and I considered it, but I know the Mazotti's 230 loading height is mis-stated because that depends on the size/height of the tractors rear tires. I do not sell farm equipment, and being an engineer myself, if the hoe can't be hooked up to your tractor with a subframe made to YOUR particular tractor, I never considered those models. THe Praire DOG 7.5 hoe fits perfectly to any subframe made by Wood's for Wood's 7500. The Praire DOg 7.5 is priced just like the Mazotti with VERY close or the same specifications.
I don't know whether Mazotti's hydraulic fittings are American, but trying to get a hose fitting replaced that isn't American threads is really tough. In my opinion the Mazotti's frame where the swing cylinders are located are not as heavy duty as my Prairie Dog plus my cast iron stabizer arms are heavier dutied and the stabilzer pads are easily flipped for dirt or pavement. The Praire Dog Digger's buckets force is 3100 lbs and the dipperstick force is 2231 lbs. The major deciding factor for me was the ability of the backhoe to be connected to my Kubota B-2150 with a subframe made for My tractor. Feature for feature the Praire Dog 7.5 backhoe was the most heavy duty hoe (1057 lbs without bucket) that could be subframed attached to my tractor that I DIDN'T have to pay over 6000.00 dollars for. Check out the Praire dog 7.5, it is a Very well built hoe for a VERY competitive amount of dollars.

03-12-2003, 07:54 Post: 51019
zedosix

Backhoe Opinions

Are there any ag dealers up in Canada, specifically eastern Ontario? Would like to check out their products and prices.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 50448 Filter by Poster:
caveman 1 | DRankin 1 | hardwood 1 | jeff r 2 | luke286 3 | marklugo 5 | TomG 1 | zedosix 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc