Selecting the right size tractor: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Selecting the right size tractor: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-06-2002, 16:12 Post: 44683
J B
2002-11-06 16:12:28
 Selecting the right size tractor

With 40 acres of hilly timber land to manage including 3 acres in game patches, road maintenance, and utilization of tractor for dragging timber to a landing (every other year), what size Kubota will get the job done with no regrets? Implements would include 5'Bush Hog, 5' disks, 5'box blade, and front end loader.
Considering a four wheel drive in 3030DT, 3730DT, and 4330DT. Looking to buy new and will be a week end user only. Question comes down to economics yet I do not need over kill nor under sized either. I'm open to suggestions.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

11-07-2002, 06:05 Post: 44695
TomG

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

The size of logs seems to be an important question, and there's a bunch of stuff about tractor logging in the archives. Off the top of my head, a logging arch or transfer trailer might get the logging done every-other year with a smaller tractor. A smaller tractor would be cheaper and might be more useful for the rest of the work as well.

11-07-2002, 06:50 Post: 44699
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

For the woods I often recommend a skidding winch to make life easy. There are a couple of manufacturers that build small ones that work well for tops as well as logs. The horsepower of the larger tractor chssis does little to enhance some tools while working with them. I think any of the L's would work fine. The L-3130 is at the small end of the range and would run what you need. I would recommend the glideshift or the DT model for the work that you have described.

11-07-2002, 07:07 Post: 44700
pdavepennell

Filter by User

I am considering a tractor in the same situation. 80 acres recreational, 40 of which I want to clean up, Have you considered the L3000 or L4300 ? theese are bare bones machines. I started thinking bigger is better but I will only be useing the machine one or two weekends a month as my property is 4 hours away and I have to trailer the tractor for a year or so untill I can build a garage. I am also considering a temporary vinyl quanset style garage. I spoke to a kubota dealer earlier this week who said the factory reps are suggesting that there will be even more incentives and after seeing that the interest rates were dropped again this week I would think this very likely for all manufactures. Like you I wanted to do the same with the wood but I have decided it will be much more cost effective to cut it up smaller and deal with a smaller machine, My factor is weight not cost, I did not personally like the Kubota machines, For the mid-range kubotas are priced about the same as New Holland and Massey both of which seem to have better features to me for my physical size, Overall I am thinking that the JD 4410 is best of course it is more expensive, In the end I figure that even the smallest machine has got to be better than tilling those wildlife plots with a walk behind tiller like I did this year.

11-07-2002, 07:27 Post: 44702
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

A few years ago a guy took some wood out of one of his lots. I'm not sure how big the logs were. A neighbour of his still keeps a team of horses for skidding logs. It's sort of a hobby now, but horses are good for people who don't want to cut up their bush with more skidder trails.

As I understand, the idea was to use the horses to get logs to the nearest skidder trail where a tractor would skid them to the nearest road where a truck could pick them up. His wife was going to drive the tractor, and I only know what she said they were going to do. The night before, we were playing country tunes in the hotel till the small hours. The guy likes his wife's singing so much he doesn't say a lot.

I haven't looked closely at his tractors but both would quality as sizable compacts. I think that a big heavy stable tractor is desirable to get logs through bush to a trail, but smaller works OK on a trail. Horses eliminated the need for a big tractor and for cutting trails. A big tractor can't go through very dense bush without cutting trails. A winch as Art mentioned probably would do a lot of the work done by the horses but it wouldn't be as nice to look at.

11-07-2002, 14:52 Post: 44712
J B
2002-11-07 00:00:00

Thanks TomG for the input. However, I do not know how to find the archives that you spoke of. I did use the search function of this site for tractor logging, but found nothing.
Art thanks for your input too. You seem to favor Kubotas and I have not totally made up my mind, but believe that is the tractor that I will end up purchasing. Kubota dealer is about 60 miles, John Deere about the same, but their is a Land Trac dealer 10 miles away. I have looked at the Land Trac 3600 and like it but too many people have warned me to very cautious about this Korean made tractor w/ a Mitsubishi engine - question comes will the parts be available when you need them down the road?
I have one source who has experienced problems in getting parts for his New Hollands, his parts come from England by ship only, then are quarentined in Miami for 30 days before being sent to where they are needed some 3 months past.

Pdavepennell thank you for your response too. While I did look at the L3000 and L4300 bare bone models, the shuttle selector is what changed my mind with use of the front end loader. Do I sound sure? No I'm not at least not yet! A few dollars more spent is exceptable if in the long run I am better off, but these days who knows. I will perform the maintenace as called for because this will be the only tractor that I will ever own some 30 to 40 years if I not wishing for too much. The size of the logs was asked. I will be thinning pulp as well as small saw timber. By the time the real timber is ready to be taken, I'll probably be gone. Thanks for all who gave input. I'm with in 2 months of making a purchase and closer to making a educated decision but still have not made up my mind on the exact model or make.

11-07-2002, 15:29 Post: 44713
DK35vince

JB,
I don't know where you are located.
If you have a Kioti dealer in your area I highly recommend you check them out !!

11-07-2002, 15:53 Post: 44714
J B

Art, where would I begin my search for a skidding winch and to what make & model would you suggest for my intended purpose. My land is hilly and it makes more sense to winch pulp to small saw timber out of the bottoms over dragging them out with the tractor. Thanks.

11-07-2002, 15:57 Post: 44715
J B

Wolbert, I have looked around and have not yet found any one carrying that brand down here in the South.

11-07-2002, 16:17 Post: 44716
Kyle_in_Tex

JB, Are you going to be doing much shredding between trees or in confined areas? If so, do yourself a favor, spend the money and get hydrostatic. If not, ignore my recomendation. With hydrostatic, you can back under trees, go forward and back up again without shifting one single gear or clutching. Major time saver if backing up a bunch. With a purchase this big, you owe it to yourself to shop every brand near you and ask questions until your blue in the face. You'll find out what kind of patience your dealer has. If they are worth their salt, they'll ask you questions til' both of you are blue in the face.
Good luck,
Kyle

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 44683 Filter by Poster:
Art White 4 | Chief 1 | DennisCTB 1 | DK35vince 1 | DRankin 4 | Hal DeWitt 5 | J B 6 | Kyle_in_Tex 1 | pdavepennell 7 | TomG 4 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc