Go Bottom Go Bottom

FEL HYD CYLINDER REPLACEMENT

View my Photos
DrGAVIN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-18          42583

My new Kubota 482 FEL is a little wimpy when it comes to
dirt digging even with a tooth bar.Can i swap out the OEM
hyd cylinders for more powerful (slightly larger) cyl.? I know this will add more stress to the FEL but these are really well built units.Just need alittle more UMMPH!

Comments?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2002-09-18          42607

As I recall, a gentleman named Mark Chalkley put larger cylinders on his Kubota loader a year or so ago with good results. I'm sure he would be willing to share info with you. His e-mail is (was) mchalkley@attglobal.net Good Luck. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-19          42623

I'm not sure how the loader is being used, but one version of digging would seem to take more traction than hydraulics. Perhaps using forward motion as well as lift at the same time takes enough power so the pump won't lift the loader to its capacity. I do have to clutch my tractor sometimes for the loader to break out a load of gravel if I've gone low into a pile.

I'd be careful because I have heard stories of people breaking their loaders using the bucket curled down like a dozer blade. Larger cylinders would provide more power (if there's enough clearance) but at the expense of speed. Since I don't have a fast dump on my loader and on my tractor the PS priority valve detracts from flow to the hydraulics. Reduced loader speed would be a strong negative for me.

I tend to not try to second-guess engineering and would try to solve the power problems by finding an operating technique that works better. However, I don't think of loaders as very effective diggers anyway. I find that I do almost all my shallow excavating with a box scraper (with hydraulic top-link). I sort of surprised myself and ended up using the box far more than the loader to spread my last load of gravel. But that’s just me. Everybody finds their own style that works best for them.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-19          42645

You very well could, leaving your front end to try to hold the extra weight that you can lift,it might not have been designed for and your loader would be slower. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login