BX2200 Tires: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review BX2200 Tires: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-15-2002, 06:10 Post: 42398
Dwight
2002-09-15 06:10:10
 BX2200 Tires

Hi, My wife and I have been looking at the BX2200. We've checked out the other makes but the BX2200 costs less, is the exact size, and has all the options we wanted. I have a couple of questions that someone might be able to help me with.

Can you mix tire styles on the BX2200? While at the dealer yesterday, the salesman told us they sell most of the BX2200s with bar tread on the rear and turf on the front. I like that setup but salesman for the othermakes indicated that on 4 wheel drive models the tires must be a matched set of both front and rear.

The other question on the BX2200 is about the power take-off. While there yesterday the salesman tried the shift the power take-off from mid to rear and back. It hung up between the rear position and the mid/rear position. He had tough time getting it back to the mid position. It took several minutes and he ground the gears in the process. Is that normal or is there a problem with it somewhere. I'm thinking it might be how he tried to do it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

09-15-2002, 10:09 Post: 42412
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

I have closely examined the tires in question and I think there is a difference in diameter between the sets. I have also noted in the sales brochure that when they talk about total width or ground clearance they use the turfs as a basis of measurement, so I think the turfs are a little taller and a bit wider. The front and rear tires on a four wheel drive do have to be matched but there is a margin for error and most of the time the front axle is designed to run a little faster (a couple percent) anyway.

That said, the question is: Will it hurt the tractor to mix the tires? Most likely it will not, especially if you remember to take it out of 4WD when operating on asphalt or other hard surfaces.

But the concept is a little screwy to me. What does he do with the other parts? Does he have a room filled with surplus front bar tires and rear turfs? I have heard that some folks who a use heavy tractor for finish mowing will some times mix tires like this but only after it is demonstrated that the front tires tear up the lawn on tight turns.

I may be biased, but standard bar tires in my view have very limited usefulness. They are nowhere near the universal application tires. If you are pulling heavy loads over, or plowing in, soft WET soil, then that is your tire. For almost any other task I would recommend another tire style.

If what you are planning to do with the BX2200 can be done better with a turf tire on the front then I think it calls for a matched set all the way around.
As far as the shifting the PTO functions, this could be another indication that your salesman may be a recent product our ‘improved’ school system or from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Did he use the clutch? It is the stubby metal petal on the left floorboard with a cartoon picture of two gears coming apart. Nothing irritates me more than folks trying to sell or demonstrate something that they know nothing about and will not or cannot read the manufacturers operating instruction and specifications.

I guess it is my turn to do a rant on CTB. Sorry MrEthics. I’ll get out of your corner now.

09-15-2002, 18:21 Post: 42423
Dwight
2002-09-15 00:00:00
 BX2200 Tires

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what he does with the extra mismatched tires but now that you mention it he said some buyers purchase extra wheels and tires so they can have a full set of both. That may be just a marketing ploy to get buyers to get an extra set of wheels and tires. The reason I liked the setup was to avoid the possibility of tearing up the lawn with bar tires and still have the traction of the rear for wet grass. We do have some small hills to mow but they wouldn't require the 4 wheel drive when a little wet. If it's soft enough to need 4 wheel drive it's way to wet to mow. Really the only time we will need the 4 wheel drive might be to plow a little snow but it would be nice knowing you had it if you needed it.

As far as the PTO, no he didn't use the clutch. I knew there had to be something he wasn't doing right. We are supposed to talk to him later this week so I'll let him know that he had better read the owners manual. In the mean time I going to check around for other local dealers. We're located in southeastern Ohio so if anyone has any suggestions it might help .

Thanks again.

09-15-2002, 22:17 Post: 42444
Cobranut

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

I have the bar tires and have had no problem with them tearing up the turf when turning. The only time this could be a problem is in 4WD, but you wouldn't use this for mowing.

Tell your idiot salesman to disengage the PTO clutch (the small lever in front of the PTO selector) before shifting PTO's. The gears should never grind. Ouch.

There is no clutch pedal on this machine, the pedal described is the differential lock.

09-15-2002, 22:28 Post: 42446
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

I have not yet taken delivery of my BX22, but while I evaluating the similar BX2200 the local dealer told me the diff/lock was the PTO clutch. Since he was too old to have suffered a modern public education I guess he falls into the other category. Sure do wish I could down load the owner’s manuals online from manufacturers websites. It would sure solve a multitude of problems.
Cobranut, do you see any advantage to mixing tire types?

09-15-2002, 23:09 Post: 42449
Cobranut

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

Mark,

I've only had this unit a few weeks, so my experience with it is limited to mowing and smoothing some gravel.

I have the bar tires all round, and the only time they have left a mark was with the loader attached and running on the gravel, you could see the tread marks, but nothing serious.

Without the loader, I haven't had any trouble with them cutting up the lawn, but then my lawn isn't exactly golf-course green quality either.

If I were only using it for mowing, I'd go with the turf tires all round, and use the 4WD to handle the slick spots, otherwise, I'd go with bar tread front and rear.

Also, loading the rears with fluid should help with stability and traction whichever tire type you have.
Mine were loaded by the dealer, so I never tried it without fluid.

Hope this helps,
David

09-16-2002, 08:23 Post: 42470
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

After getting a couple of flats with my JD4100 and figuring out what a time consuming pain in the butt it is to repair a fluid filled tire, I am going straight for the wheel weights on the new BX22. I hope that 50 pounds on each wheel and the low center of gravity will be enough. Time will tell. The BX tires I have seen appear to be tubeless, did you dealer install tubes first and what type of fluid did he use?

09-16-2002, 23:52 Post: 42518
Cobranut

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

Mark,

The tires are tubeless, and they're loaded with calcium chloride, which is what Kubota recommends.
I just hope the paint on the wheels holds up, to prevent corrosion.
I've considered dismounting them, washing them out, and reloading with an ethylene glycol/water mix, which will protect the wheels from rust. I don't know how much weight I will lose with this mix though.
I think the chloride added 110 lbs. per tire, according to the chart in the manual.
50 lb wheel weights will certainly help.
I hope I don't cut a tire, as I hadn't really thought of the repair hassles.

Later,
David

09-17-2002, 06:27 Post: 42526
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

Another way to think about it that if AG tires aren't making bar prints in the lawn, then they probably aren't delivering much traction on any surface either. The bars have to sink-in or it's just surface area on top the bars that provides traction, Ag tires on hard surfaces have less area of contact than turfs. Turfs probably have better traction on ice than Ags.

I suppose that ags rear and turfs front is an approach but I don't exactly understand it. It seems to me that there's going to be bar prints if the tractor is ballasted for traction and the lawn is even a bit wet. I'm not sure that turfs on the front would improve things that much. The turfs would ride easier in road gear though. A disadvantage is turfs usually have less load capacity than Ag and certainly R4's.

I always thought it was common practice to use tubes with CACL loading, but I guess factory recommendations have to have be given credibility.

09-17-2002, 08:18 Post: 42529
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 BX2200 Tires

Tom, The cleats on the BX ags are maybe around 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep and quite narrow in relation to true Ag tires. And they really do have a huge footprint compared to other tractors in the weight class. So they will not fall into the standard classification. They are more like a very aggressive turf tire.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 42398 Filter by Poster:
Cobranut 3 | DRankin 8 | Dwight 3 | Patriot 1 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc