B20 HST lack of power ??: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review B20 HST lack of power ??: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-23-2002, 16:25 Post: 39783
Mike In Ont
2002-06-23 16:25:53
 B20 HST lack of power ??

To-day was my first day that I could actually get my new toy, B20 TLB 550 Hrs, out and get it to work. No problems digging up an old stump...BUT when I put the HST under any load, very little power, almost stalling. Running at @2800 rpm it would not back up a 20 degree slope in mid range, did manage in low but it was a struggle..or atleast it squeeled awfull loud. What would be an acceptable squeelch factor???

HST fluid part way down, but not below safe range, and clear in color.

I purchased from dealer who led my to believe, or at least I thought so, that all fluids had recently been changed...???

(I was so happy to find one, and with only 550 hrs of personal use it looked great and I only had 1 hr to get ready for an appointment, the reason for my out of town trip. I bought it based upon verbal assurances it was in great shape! (I know..I know..))

So what should I check, and what's the best approach to take to the dealer,,,who is 500 miles away.....

At a minimum could I expect a shipment of required filters and oil? Or could it be more serious and load it up and bring it back for him to check out...?? A day's trip each way plus the time there???

Any insights much appreciated!

Mike In Ont

(who couldn't live without a back-hoe now!!)

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

06-24-2002, 08:10 Post: 39791
TomG

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 B20 HST lack of power ??

Oil and filter change intervals differ, but mine are every 300, and 550 hours would be getting close to a change. I'd probably just change them if there's cause for about their condition.

I don't know what would be normal for the tractor, but squealing sounds like a relief valve. HST's have their own relief valves and combinations of high loads and RPM's will open the relief. I don't know how much weight the tractor was carrying, but 20% is a pretty good grade. It's just possible that it's normal for the tractor and low range should be used in similar conditions.

Relief valves also do break or get weak, but I don't have a clue how difficult it is to check the relief pressure on a HST.

Verbal representations are legally binding contracts, but proving them in a legal sense may be difficult. Best to 'play it by ear' with the dealer. Many dealers would be uncomfortable if they accidentally misrepresented something and would make it right, but others may not. If you're 500 miles away, you're not going to have much leverage in terms of potential repeat business or much affect on the local reputation of a dealer. Even in most of Ontario thereís probably a Kubota dealer closer than 500 miles.

06-24-2002, 09:53 Post: 39804
Mike In Ont
2002-06-24 00:00:00
 B20 HST lack of power ??

Thanks Tom. There are closer dealers, just buying used it was hard to locate a unit around here, thus the distance.

I did manage to get a hold of the previous owner and learned that the HST oil/filter was only changed at 50 hrs, and not since (550 hrs now) so definately it is due.

Perhaps I was just expecting too much. I'm going to have someone more familiar check it out for me, but definately a change is due.
Thanks
Mike

06-24-2002, 11:13 Post: 39806
Iluvgears
 B20 HST lack of power ??

This is the one big downside to Hydrostat. It sounds fairly normal to me. They whine alot and lack the "jump" gear tractors have.

06-24-2002, 13:15 Post: 39809
lost -name
 B20 HST lack of power ??

Good idea to have someone who is familiar with the HST test-drives it. Or, this will cost you some money, rent a similar tractor and see how it works in the same situation.

The other question is are you operating the HST correctly. I have a 3710 (2000) now 230 hrs, It took me awhile to figure out the HST. For example going up a hill I wanted to push harder on the rocker pedal as it start to slow down. Now I know when it starts to slow down I let up (a bit) to keep the RPMs up. I never have to run over 1800 RPMs. Also it took awhile to learn the ranges and when to use them. If I am unsure I will use low (1) and give the tractor break. It too expensive to abuse, Good luck and be patient donít beat on your equipment.

10-29-2002, 11:50 Post: 44374
Brent D. Kelley
2002-10-29 00:00:00
 B20 HST lack of power ??

Make sure you have the tractor in 4x4. It makes a real big difference when moving a load up a hill. My property has all sorts of angles, dips and ridges... it is just something I have figured out. Also, if your hydralic fluid is low it will feel as though the accelorator pedal is pushing back at you while it is making a whine. Hope that helps and enjoy your new toy!

10-29-2002, 12:52 Post: 44378
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 B20 HST lack of power ??

A good thing to remember when using a hydro that it is the opposite of a gas petal that we are all used to.

10-29-2002, 18:36 Post: 44393
jeff r

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 B20 HST lack of power ??

Art is right. Keep it in low range ang keep it slow. You can not have power and speed at the same time. There is nothing wrong with you tractor, just as Art said ....do not treat that hydro pedal as a accelerator pedal. Hey TomG, found me a Chevron distributor with that Chevron THF synthetic hydro fluid and it wasn't easy either.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 39783 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | Brent D. Kelley 1 | Iluvgears 1 | jeff r 1 | lost -name 1 | Mike In Ont 2 | TomG 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc