What cutout switch is keeping it from starting?: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review What cutout switch is keeping it from starting?: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-03-2002, 14:34 Post: 39280
Denny Townson

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 What cutout switch is keeping it from starting?

My neighbors B2410 has an intermitent problem where sometimes, it will not crank the engine. We have checked the safety switch for the clutch, and both PTOs. All three of these show continuity when checked with an ohm meter. Are there any other safety cutouts which would cause this problem. I can bypass all the switches and start it by running a jumper from the battery direct to the starter solenoid and that gets it going again. Next time he tries it may or may not start. Any ideas??

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

06-03-2002, 17:03 Post: 39282
BudG

Filter by User

Try the Hi & Low range lever.
Bud

06-04-2002, 05:35 Post: 39289
Mrwurm

Check out the seat switch.

Jerry

06-04-2002, 05:52 Post: 39291
BudG

Filter by User

I did'nt know the B2410 had a seat switch. My B2400 does not have one.
Bud

06-04-2002, 06:29 Post: 39294
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Any intermitent problem is tough to find. I think you just have a switch that is just about ready to fail and have not checked it at the right time or, Another thing that often is found is the wires going to the switches. Check all the wires going in and out of plug in terminals to see if firmly connected.

06-04-2002, 07:35 Post: 39299
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I'll coin a term 'wiggle starting' and suggest trying it. Try wiggling and jiggling all operating levers that have safety interlocks while the starter switch is held on. If there's a marginal interlock, the wiggling may cause it to make contact and then the starter should turn over. It might get it started and also would identify which interlock to replace.

The starter relay or starter switch might cause the same problem, and they should be checked. It would be handy to check a wiring diagram. However, many systems have the switch and all safety interlocks in seeries with the relay winding. The relay cannot close if any of them are open. Closing the relay completes the starter circuit and a good starter should operate provided that voltage gets across the relay contacts. However, Iíd keep in mind that trouble shooting can be a pain. Wiggle starting could be applied to the starter switch as well as the interlocks. In fact, trouble shooting gets complicated. Wiggling an operating lever while holding the starter on may in fact cause the starter switch to close and then a perfectly good interlock might be blamed.

Since you started the tractor by jumping from the battery to the solenoid, I assume that the relay contacts connect to the hot side of the battery and one side of the relay contacts should show battery voltage when the starter is off. The relay on my Ford 1710 completes the ground side of the starter circuit. There always is battery voltage at the solenoid hot terminal and I'd have to jump my starter to ground.

06-04-2002, 13:22 Post: 39308
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I think my friend Tom is on the right track, I have encountered a similar problem before. The culprit in each case was either the starter itself or the solenoid. This does not seem to make sence at first, but here is how it was explained to me by the starter rebuild shop. The traditional vehicle wiring system does not create enough current carrying capacity to really jolt the starter and sometimes the starter, or solenoid, develop a sort of dead spot, some of you may recall the infamous Chev starter motors in pickups, after a while the only way you could get them to crank was to give them a good belt with a hammer or the sort. By running booster cables straight to the starter (or solenoid) it jumps to life so suddenly that it gets past the 'dead spot' and works, as long as the starter does not come to rest on the dead spot again it will work fine next time. Best of luck.

06-05-2002, 07:44 Post: 39328
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Murf pushed back my reasoning to the motor/solenoid itself. I was thinking just as far as the starter switch and relay.

As far as I know, most if not all solenoids contain contacts that complete the circuit to the motor. Basically, the starter relay energizes the solenoid, and the pull-in solenoid winding pulls a plunger and starter gear into the flywheel. Contacts also on the plunger complete the circuit to the motor (Incidentally the solenoid also switches from its pull-in to its hold-in winding).

So a couple of 'dead-spot' things I can think of could happen. If resistance through a jumper cable is less than through the starter system wiring then jumping may push the system over a dead spot. First, a gimpy solenoid may not pull the plunger enough to 'make' the starter motor contacts and a little more voltage would pull it further. In addition, individual motor armature segments do develop low conductivity. Especially if the motor brushes are themselves gimpy and they are also sitting on gimpy armature segments, then there may not be enough power to turn the motor. A little more voltage may get the motor moved to contact with better points on the armature. However, some clicking or buzzing by the motor/solenoid would accompany most of these dead-spot conditions. From the description, Iím not sure if the starter system is completely dead or does some clicking.

There also is a 'dead-spot' idea on AC motors, and some oil furnace motors have a button on the motor itself to get it past a dead-spot. Iíve never been entirely certain what the button does and maybe somebody will tell me. I'd guess it would have to do with changing the valve of the starting capacitance.

06-05-2002, 17:44 Post: 39345
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Tractors are out in the weather and sometimes things will provide problems that you would not expect on a car.
The 750 JD which we talked about recently has a bad location for the main ground. As it was down near the front of the tractor the ground would corrode causing the same problem described.
I would check the ground and main hot to the starter for corrosion.
Peters

06-24-2002, 19:24 Post: 39818
Morgan
2002-06-24 00:00:00

I am having the same exact problem. I had the tractor (B6200) running just fine, skidding trees and logs with it, and then it wouldn't turn over to start. I thought maybe the clutch engage switch was dead but you guys have given me LOTS of other things to check out. I hope I'm just in between high and low on that lever, or something simple. I still have a lot of logs to skid and can't have any tractor down time right now.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 39280 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | bigbukhntr 1 | BudG 2 | Denny Townson 1 | DRankin 6 | Morgan 6 | Mrwurm 1 | Murf 3 | Peters 7 | T Staley 1 | TomG 8 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc