Wheel weights vs. calcium: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Wheel weights vs. calcium: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-11-2002, 04:53 Post: 37270
Morgan Wright
2002-04-11 04:53:35
 Wheel weights vs. calcium

My Kubota B6200 has wheel weights because the previous owner "didn't believe in" calcium. I am surprised how tippy it is, even on a 5 percent slope sideways I get the feeling it's going to tip over. The center of gravity of wheel weights is the axle but the center of gravity of calcium ballast is the bottom of the tire.

I am trying to use my Kubota B6200 on hilly land to clear trees, and am finding it not satisfactory, because I keep being afraid it's going to tip. One time yesterday I felt like it was tipping, so I stopped, put the brakes on, and looked down at the right rear tire and saw that it was a foot off the ground!! One false move and I was going to roll the thing. I had to drop what was in the FEL to save my life!

Tomorrow, I'm getting calcium! I believe in it. I sure hope it keeps the rig from tippin so easily whenever there's anything in the FEL.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

04-12-2002, 11:18 Post: 37336
Steve Mahler
2002-04-12 00:00:00

I am about to do the exact same thing on my B6000 - these older kubotas are so narrow they are not well suited to any uneven ground. I also have come very close to rolling, but I dont have a FEL so it doesnt happen as often. I am worried about the CCL damaging the rims, though.

04-12-2002, 12:00 Post: 37338
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

I wouldn't argue that fluid weighted tires give the tractor better stability versus wheel weights, but the center of gravity of a loaded tire is the same as would be with the wheel weights, or close to it, since they recommend that you fill to at least cover the top of the rim. The increase in stablility comes from more weight with the fluid loading.
Bill

04-12-2002, 12:28 Post: 37341
Roy Jackson

Filter by User

Morgan, does your machine have a ROPS?

04-12-2002, 19:59 Post: 37353
Morgan Wright

Roy, what are ROPS? Steve, I would think that CaCl would rust the rim inside unless they figured out what rust preventative to use, like the stuff they use in antifreeze. Bill, why do they recommend filling so full to cover the rim? Is it to prevent rusting the rim? I would think that you should only fill it 50% of the way so the weight is all below the axle, any weight above the axle makes it top-heavy again and defeats the whole purpose!! Maybe they can fill it with something REALLY heavy like a big bead of mercury!! Mercury is heavier than lead and is a liquid. It would roll around inside the wheel and not rust anything. Mercury is so heavy, you could probably add 500 pounds of mercury and not even fill the tire half way. Of course, 500 pounds of pure mercury would cost a fortune and if the tire broke open they would comdemn all the land for miles around because it's poisonous.

04-12-2002, 21:37 Post: 37359
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

ROPS=Rollover Protection System, usually a roll-bar and seatbelt.
Yes, they recommend covering the rim to help prevent corrosion, even though most people use tubes if they get their tires loaded.
What really gives you stability is the extra weight on the uphill side of the tractor. Where the center of gravity is on each tire/wheel is really insignificant compared to the weight on the opposite end of the axle. In my opinion.
Bill

04-12-2002, 23:15 Post: 37362
Morgan

Yeah it has a roll bar but still, who needs to roll? I'd rather the thing wasn't so tippy. I think to make it less tippy the front wheels should be farther apart. Those little spindly front wheels is th reason why tractors tip to the side. The front wheels should be the same distance apart as the rear wheels. The only reason they make them closer together is for shorter turning radius. With skidders, which are almost impossible to roll over to the side, the front wheels are the same distance apart as the rear, which means you can't steer them, but to make steering possible they use a completely different method of steering. The front wheels don't turn, the whole rig splits in half and they call that "frame articulation" the middle of the frame turns like a jack-knife. On most John Deer skidders the whole frame can turn 90 degrees in each direction. http://www.johndeere.com/NR/DeereCom/construction/equipment/skidders/540_640.html

I think I shoud trade my Kubota in on a real skidder.

04-14-2002, 22:13 Post: 37418
John Mc

Filter by User

You don't partially fill a tire with CaCl, since doing so would expose the rim to air when it was not submerged in the Calcium Chloride solution. The mixture of air and CaCl is what really gets the rust going.

If you did want a partial fill, you need something that is not corrosive. Some use anti-freeze, but that has problems, since most anti-freeze is highly toxic to animals, but tastes like candy to them. A small leak, and the family pet ends up dead. (Note: there are some "animal-friendly" anti-freeze mixes available). Some use windshield washer fluid, though their seem to be some concerns with this (some tire centers can not get insurance if they work on tires filled with washer fluid).

One of the better solutions I have seen is a product called "Rim Guard" which is made mainly from the juice of sugar beets. It's non-corrosive (in fact, it inhibits rust), weighs 11#/gal... as much or more than CaCl, and is non-toxic (it actually has an animal food grade certification). If you are interested, contact Glen Daly, the inventor of Rim Guard at 517-351-6470 (or at Rim Guard Inc., P.O. Box 4012, East Lansing, MI 48826)

John Mc
(I have no connection to Rim Guard Inc., just think it's a great product)

04-15-2002, 06:53 Post: 37431
Morgan
2002-04-15 00:00:00

If you're gonna use sugar from sugar beets you might as well just mix your own sugar solution yourself, mix sugar in water and it would be much cheaper than what they probably charge for "rim guard." Just mix sugar in water. I don't know why sugar prevents rust though. Does it?

04-15-2002, 08:24 Post: 37434
Corm

If you decide to fill your rear tires, in your case where you are doing it to make your tractor more stable on hills, you probably ought not fill them over half way. Any more than that, and you are adding weight on top of the center of the axle, which won't help the stability. Just put your valve stem at 9 or 3 o'clock when you fill them. I use non toxic windshield washer fluid in mine.

Corm

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 37270 Filter by Poster:
Art White 4 | BillMullens 3 | Bird Senter 1 | Corm 1 | DRankin 4 | jeff r 1 | John Mc 2 | Morgan 4 | Morgan Wright 6 | Murf 3 | nhNEWT 1 | Roy Jackson 3 | Ryan Buie 2 | Steve Mahler 1 | TomG 5 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc