Tire chains for Kubotas: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Tire chains for Kubotas: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-07-2002, 20:54 Post: 37155
Morgan Wright
2002-04-07 20:54:43
 Tire chains for Kubotas

I use my Kubota for pulling trees out of the woods and some of it is uphill. I am in awe of skidders and how much traction they get with those big tires and chains. If I put tire chains on my Kubota will it make much difference? I already have agricultural tread on my tires, is that good enough? Will chains give it more grip? I'm not expecting to turn my kubota into a skidder, of course, and don't expect my little 18 horse motor can compare to the 125 horse of a skidder, but I want more traction.

I already have wheelweights. No calcium, just 150 pound wheelweights on each wheel. Will chains make a difference?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-08-2002, 07:42 Post: 37164
Morgan Wright
2002-04-08 00:00:00
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Also, do people find that putting chains on the front tires does much good (in 4 WD)?

04-08-2002, 15:08 Post: 37184
tractorman100
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Do not put chains on the front!!!!. Chains will make a difference with traction, but remember Logskidders use their winches as much as their tires. BE CAREFUL!

04-08-2002, 16:09 Post: 37188
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Without putting too much of a damper on your good intentions Morgan, I would offer the following suggestion. If your 18 horse Kubota can't pull the log, cut it shorter or get a larger machine, if the load has better traction than you do, it should tell you something, like your maybe pushing your luck just a bit..... Regulars here will testify, my messages always have & always will emphasize SAFETY, first last and always.

Pulling a heavy object is the fastest way there is to flip a tractor over, and it happens so fast even the most experienced operators are normally caught off-guard. Log skidders are long and wide for a reason, stability. Compacts are relatively tall & narrow, this can make them very unstable, especially on uneven ground.

Best of luck.

04-08-2002, 19:04 Post: 37193
Morgan Wright
 Tire chains for Kubotas

The guy at the Kubota dealer told me that chains on top of ag tires would be WORSE than the ag tires alone, he said the chains would just fit inside the valleys of the tire treads and thereby nullify the tread...and the chains would not grab anything.

(Morgan now makes mental note...chains on turf tires are good, chains on ag tires are bad).

This makes sense, skidders have chains over regular tires not ag tires.

04-08-2002, 20:23 Post: 37194
Mrwurm

Filter by User
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Ok, two comments here.

#1, I use tire chains on the front of my tractor for light duty work such as snow plowing. I would not, however, put such a load on my drivetrain as to attempt to pull a log that probably weighs more than my tractor.

#2, I rarely hear anyone talk about this, but, dragging with a logging type chain is very dangerous to the tractor operator. If the chain comes loose from the log end while the chain is under tension, guess what will absorb the shotgun like impact of the chain hook. You guessed it! You! Many off-road clubs for trucks and other recreational vehicles have strick rules forbidding bringing a chain on any of their sanctioned outings. Only nylon straps and strech cords are allowed. When I pull with a chain I make sure that the end attached to the object being dragged is no more than two or three feet behind my tractor. Always make sure that the end of the chain is too short to come in contact with your body on the operator station.

Wow, I guess I had a lot to say about that.

Jerry

04-08-2002, 23:27 Post: 37198
Morgan Wright
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Chains don't snap like that. They aren't like rubber bands. If a chain is pulling a log and the chain slips off the log, the chain usually just moves forward a few inches and falls on the ground. I don't see snapping like you describe. It's the reason that nobody makes sling shots out of chains. If you made a sling shot with a chain and tried to use it to shoot a rock, you'd just have a dead chain hanging down your wrist and the rock would fall on your toe.

Try using a comalong and chain to pull something. They don't snap when they slip.

04-09-2002, 05:47 Post: 37200
Mrwurm

Filter by User
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Morgan, I cannot agree with your assessment of chain 'dynamics'. Many off-roaders have been paralyzed and a few have been killed when chains come through the cab of the truck. This is why many sanctioned off-road events strictly forbid even carrying a chain in your vehicle.

Force = mass x velocity. A chain has more mass than a strap. I just don't want to be around when the potential energy (tension) in the chain is converted to kinetic energy (motion). My physics are rusty. Please correct me If I'm wrong.

I would be interested in any comments from any 'physics' type people on this subject.

Jerry

04-09-2002, 05:52 Post: 37201
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Some types of chains work OK with ag tires (there's discussion in the archives), but ladder types do fall between the lugs. However, I believe the main advantage of chains of any type is on ice. Reports of their advantage in mud are mixed. Front wheel chains certainly are going to increase traction, but my opinion is that chains on the front should be used only when chains also are on the rear. People have used only front wheel chains for years without problems, but the practice may create excessive wear and tear on the front drive train.

Regarding skidder work with tractors: There is a bunch of discussion in the archives, and a lot of it is safety related. It makes pretty good reading--certainly better than me trying to summarize and reinventing the wheel with a bunch of words. Suffice it to say that logging is one of the most dangerous of occupations. Commercial insurance rates for logging companies are astronomical. Stumper told of seeing a log headed downhill at a good rate of speed and towing a skidder behind itóa very heavy skidder not just a tractor. Still probably better than having the skidder in front. Note that skidders have steel operatorís cadges.

04-09-2002, 06:04 Post: 37202
Morgan Wright
2002-04-09 00:00:00
 Tire chains for Kubotas

Skidders are unbelievable. A neighbor of mine has 4 of them and runs a logging business. Just to watch them in action you think of godzilla movies, they go through the woods at 2 miles an hour and knock down everything in their path like they pushing over blades of grass. They knock down trees over a foot in diameter.

I'm not a physics professor either but I think that before you can have snapping like a rubber band, something has to stretch. Like if you were trying to pull a tree down and the chain came loose off the tractor, and the tree snapped back up straight again, the chain would go for a ride in the sky, but in that case the stretch was in the tree not the chain. But logs on the ground don't stretch.

I think the reason they ban chains in SUV mud races is because they can crash through peoples windows and hurt them and ropes can't. That's just a guess.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 37155 Filter by Poster:
Jim on Timberridge 1 | Morgan 1 | Morgan Wright 16 | Mrwurm 5 | Murf 4 | Steve C in WA 1 | TomG 6 | tractorman100 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc