L2950 "EVER CLUTCH" NOISE: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review L2950 "EVER CLUTCH" NOISE: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-03-2002, 20:44 Post: 36038
chuck ricker
2002-03-03 20:44:09
 L2950 "EVER CLUTCH" NOISE

I have '92 L2950 with "ever clutch". This is my second Kubota and I was impressed with both units. My problem is a chatter that is heard at idle to about 1200 rpms. This noise can be removed my depressing clutch fully at idle or coming off free play while released. Also if you are above 1200 rpm the noise is gone. The clutch works well and is properly adjusted. Before I split the tractor I would like some input.
Thanks
chuck ricker

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-12-2002, 20:03 Post: 36292
kubmech
2002-03-12 00:00:00
 L2950

You can split it, lube the shaft and pilot bearing, put it all back together, and have it make the same noise a few hours down the road if you want to......In other words, common problem.

03-13-2002, 06:02 Post: 36302
TomG

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 L2950

I guess most every tractor has some rpm that rattles things around, and throw-out bearings tend to be pretty loose things anyway. Splitting a tractor is a lot of work, and the work is easiest justify when something definitely is broken.

I guess my throw-out bearing doesn't rattle, but I've sure had them rattle on cars and trucks. I just make sure that the bearing is pulled completely off the pressure plate when the clutch is out and then wait for the rattle to turn into a grind before seriously thinking about replacing it. But then, I've never had a bearing failure; some have rattled for years. I don't think there's much change of causing additional damage, but maybe somebody knows for certain.

03-13-2002, 08:18 Post: 36305
Chuck Ricker
2002-03-13 00:00:00
 L2950

I bought this tractor from an elder gentleman with 700 hours. It was sitting in his garage recently waxed with everything looking great. I never drove it or even stopped to see if anything even worked. It is spot less. I paid him and drove home. He brought it to my house while I was on vacation. Once home I checked out the sight gauge for the hydraulic fluid and none was visable. I added about 1.5 gal of light blue Dryden and now the sight gauge is brown but level is ok. the 3 pt hitch is also jerky up and down. I was praying that maybe dirty and burnt fluid or pluged filter just might be the bad guy. The clutch noise also has a grind to but works well. But my old L2250 still shifts better.
Thanks for any imput
chuck ricker

03-13-2002, 19:17 Post: 36316
kubmech
2002-03-13 00:00:00
 L2950

I miss stated in my previous post some what. The Ever clutch splines directly into the flywheel. It does't have the traditional pressure plate and throw out bearing. A common problem with this design is for the play between the shaft splines and flywheel splines will make noise when not under constant load. This may be the noise you are hearing.

03-13-2002, 20:41 Post: 36317
Roy Jackson

L2950

"I added about 1.5 gal of light blue Dryden and now the sight gauge is brown but level is ok. the 3 pt hitch is also jerky up and down"

Sounds like air in the hydraulic system. Unless the manual states it's self bleeding, don't assume it is.

Probably be a good idea to drain the system completely and renew the fluid.

03-14-2002, 05:02 Post: 36319
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 L2950

Now I know something about an Ever Clutch but still can't visualize the parts and how they fit together. I guess light blue Dryden is a hyd/TX fluid Kubota owners know about--it would be a hockey player/coach to me.

It's good to change all oil and filters on a used tractor unless there's certainty about their condition. For people who haven't changed TX oil before, it takes a bit of planning. Few people have a large enough drain pan to take all the oil, so a new container has to be swapped mid-way (screwing the fill cap back in slows the drainage). Oil pails don't work for drains on some tractors because there isn't enough ground clearance. Getting new oil back in is a problem without a pump. The cases on my Ford have three drain plugs.

I'm thinking about this 'jerky both up and down' stuff. Generally the hydraulic components that might produce jerky motion in one direction are different from those that might produce jerky motion in the other--I'm assuming that the 3ph is an open centered position control type without draft control. Some exceptions might be a faulty 3ph pressure relief valve or a binding lift cylinder. Binding in the rock shaft or lift arms also is a possibility. I guess that hot frothy oil that could result from a clogged filter or obstructed suction line might cause generally erratic operation.

I guess I'd change the oil/filter and then see what happens. If the problem persists, I'd check the oil after a period of operation to ensure that it's not overly hot and frothy.

03-14-2002, 18:23 Post: 36344
Kubmech
2002-03-14 00:00:00
 L2950

Tom, it's a whole different animal as far as the clutch is concerned. As far as the chatter in the 3 point? So many issues... let's see how the fluid and filter change go.

03-15-2002, 05:54 Post: 36357
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 L2950

Yes, I know. I'm interested in how things work, and perhaps excessively so. I probably was angling for a quick explanation, but in my heart I know that it's up to me to do my own research.

Yep, I wonder what's going on with the hydraulics. Maybe some more information will be posted. In the meantime, I'll contain my tendency to speculate, which usually results in a flurry of excessively long posts from me.

03-15-2002, 09:44 Post: 36367
chuck ricker
2002-03-15 00:00:00
 L2950

I have nothing wrong with 3pt hitch except it is not smooth. Changing the fluid and cleaning the filter I think will correct my jerking up and down on the 3pt hitch. I was hoping that this might also correct my clutch noise since the fluid was so low and the brown color showed that what was in the sight guage was too much heat build up. My local dealer faxed me a break down of the clutch. This sound is like a throw-out bearing with a couple of fingers from the preasure plate thrown in and rattle and grind. After filling with fluid I thought this system is a self-bleeder and did not read the book about bleeding. But I will check for air before changing fluid. The sound is bad compared to how good my L2250 sounds. I do want it to leave.
Thanks for your imput
chuck ricker

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 36038 Filter by Poster:
chuck ricker 7 | kubmech 3 | kubotaL-2950 1 | MRETHICS 1 | Roy Jackson 1 | TomG 7 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc