Kubota on a hill?: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Kubota on a hill?: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-21-2002, 13:00 Post: 34821
Reed_V
2002-01-21 13:00:02
 Kubota on a hill?

I have hilly land in Maine and Kubota B2410. How steep a hill can 4WD compact tractors go down? What should I look out for when going down a steep hill?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

01-21-2002, 16:47 Post: 34823
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Kubota on a hill?

Check the archives for some of what you are looking for, especially if you are side hilling. Otherwise, a tractor will go down any hill, just depends upon what you want it to look like at the bottom. There are too many factors involved for anyone here to make a flat statement and be secure in the fact that what they told you would not get you hurt or worse. All I can say is think about how steep the hill, how heavy the rear, how heavy the front proportionately, what are you driving on, how wet is it, how well will your unit hold you back with the transmission in low gear, will you be making a turn and so forth.

01-21-2002, 18:20 Post: 34824
John Mc

Filter by User
 Kubota on a hill?

A couple of tips:
(1) Do NOT put it in neutral and coast down the hill. First, it's a great way to get out of control, second, on some types of transmissions, you can overspeed a part and cause things to come apart inside the transmission (sorry I can't give a better explanation...

(2) Put the tractor in 4WD before starting down. This allows you to get engine braking effect on all 4 wheels. Most tractors have brakes on the rear wheels only, so just relying on the break pedal doesn't give you as much traction.

(3) Go down the hill in the same gear you'd be using to go up it ... or use a lower gear. On steep hills, don't use high gear... poos engine braking effect. Keep your speed down.

(4) Consider what you are driving on. All the braking in the world won't do you any good if the ground underneath you is sliding.

(5) If you have an implement on the rear that can provide some drag, consider using it (cautiously) as an emergency brake if things start to get our of hand. The FEL is also a possibility for this, but if you are going down frontwards it may be a bit risky if you've let your speed build up.

01-22-2002, 05:30 Post: 34833
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Kubota on a hill?

There is a bunch of reading on this subject in the archives. The mechanics of a tractor runaway are such that once a tractor starts sliding there's little chance of it stopping before the bottom except for doing something like dropping a loader blade if there's time. Once tires start sliding there's little braking or steering, and also little chance of regaining traction (Fortunately I'm not experienced here).

John's comment about the ground sliding brought a thought to mind. Many tractor slides can be thought of as loosing traction. However, saturated ground sometimes slides on it's own. It won't support itself let alone a tractor. Nothing done to increase traction is going to work and may even make things worse. Such ground is simply impassable and recognized as such.

Proper ballasting should increase traction and reduce to potential for sliding on more stable ground. More weight, especially below the centre of gravity, increases traction and stability. I know there's a difference of opinion here, but I'm more comfortable backing down suspect hills. My reasoning is that on a hill there's a weight transfer toward the downhill wheels, so I'd rather have the large rear tires downhill.

Some tips not mentioned are: Always go straight up or down steep hills. As long as no steering is required, engaging the diff lock will increase traction and prevent differential counter-rotation.

01-23-2002, 07:05 Post: 34861
Reed_V
2002-01-23 00:00:00
 Kubota on a hill?

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out!

02-04-2002, 08:27 Post: 35278
filip
2002-02-04 00:00:00
 Kubota on a hill?

Hi Reed, I bought the B2400hst because I operate a lot on a hillside and I wanted the most stable tractor possible. I also filled all 4 tires with the maximum ballast of water and calcium, the tractor is built low to the ground with good power. So far have been happy with the results. The big danger is lifting the FEL and side rolling. There is also a tilt gauge which looks interesting that I would check out also ( I don't have one and was wondering if others liked them?) Lots of good advice from others here.

02-04-2002, 11:12 Post: 35287
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Kubota on a hill?

filip, I have two tiltmeters; one for side to side (model 25C) and one for front to rear (model 7489C). Try the link below if you'd like to see them. I've found Rick (R&B Mfg.) to be a good guy to deal with.

Link:   Click Here 

02-05-2002, 05:27 Post: 35305
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Kubota on a hill?

I wonder if any of these slope gauges have been combined with an alarm? Many planes have stall warning alarms that are triggered by the air speed indicator I believe. The old Luscombe I flew a bit didn't have one. It's true that when they're really needed pilots likely are concentrating on flying so much that they may not read the air speed.

I think tilt meters are convenient ways to measure slopes (useful but not a guarantee against turnovers). If a person is working the same ground, they'll probably learn their slopes pretty fast and then the gauge won't be looked at too often. However, I guess I have built a few new hills from time to time where reading the new slopes might be useful. Im more along the lines of: If it feels unsafe, then it probably is.

02-05-2002, 12:30 Post: 35326
John Mc

Filter by User
 Kubota on a hill?

*** OFF TOPIC ALERT ***

TomG -
I didn't know you were a pilot! I'm working on getting my Flight Instructor rating. Never have flown a Luscombe (or any tail wheel for that matter), but I've always wanted to. My wife (also a pilot) and I own a Cessna 172 and have tooled around a good bit of the US in it. (Got to fly right of Washington DC... a few days before 9/11. Guess we won't get to do that again anytime soon).

Are you still an active pilot? If so, where do you fly?

BTW... most of the stall warnings work on angle of attack of the air, not on airspeed. Otherwise, they would not take into account the fact that an aircraft stalls at a higher speed when pulling G's (as in a steep turn). The angle of attack at which an airplane stalls is constant, airspeed is not.

John Mc

02-06-2002, 06:02 Post: 35341
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Kubota on a hill?

I'm on alert, but I guess this still is a complete self-indulgence--nothing about tractors here. Hope it's not too long.

I grew up in an air line family. The Luscombe (80-horse flavour) was a club plane mostly used by flight personnel for 'hours' back in the days when some ratings had to be gained at personal expense. The plane became more recreational and my dad passed his share along to me.

I never completed my license. After gobs of 2nd seat time with my dad, an instructor rode with me for 12 hours. I soloed, but it was a rotten year. I was coming 90 miles from school weekends to fly, and the weather was consistently bad. I enlisted in the Air Force some months later where I never flew, and never took up private flying again. Too expensive I guess. The Luscombe was very inexpensive. A club of commercial pilots got deals on most everything. Most people in the club were mechanics, so maintenance costs were materials and testing. Several members had instructor ratings. Once in a lifetime deal I guess.

The Luscombe was fun. It had a fully acrobatic frame, but limited by the 80-HP. I spent quite a few hours practicing every imaginable stall and spin. Thanks for the comment about the stall alarms. I never thought much about how they worked. I did think there was a difference in attitude between power on and off stalls, but that was a long time ago. The flying was around Denver, which can be interesting in itself. Hot summer day, 5,000+ altitude, dirt strip, full tanks and my 200+ lbs. instructor. You could stall while still parked. Some members obsessively topped up the tanks even when the forecast was for 100-degree weather.

It still unnerves me to land in a tri-cycle gear plane. Rotating backwards is normal. Rotating forwards is screwing up a power landing. No crosswind gears on those planes. In big crosswinds, you flew final wing-down under power and set it down on one wheel.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 34821 Filter by Poster:
AZranch 2 | Bill A. 1 | Bird Senter 3 | Charlie Iliff 2 | cutter 3 | filip 1 | John Mc 3 | Morgan 3 | Morgan Wright 1 | Reed_V 2 | TomG 5 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc