Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B2710 New to meadvice

View my Photos
cyclenav
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-05-02          195109

Hello all, just picked up a 2005 B2710 with FEL and 2000hrs on the meter. Everything seems to be working well, but I'm not sure as I have nothing to compare it to. My previous tractors have been 2x4 models geared FEL and no ps. This tractor was owned by a college and used for grounds keeping. I can only assume it was maintained but have no history. What do I need to look for, any tell tale signs to watch for? Any advice on using/not abusing it? I am generally fairly easy on my equipment but I read where HST models prefer higher RPMs to cool the fluid, if so how many RPMs are the norm? Any insight on how many hours this tractor can last well maintained from here on out? Thank You in advance!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-05-03          195112

I have same model with HST but no FEL. I think this is a great little tractor. Fun, easy to handle and more of a work horse than many may expect.

No order but things I can think of:
Of course check the air filters, at least look at the fluids and you might should do full filters (air can often be looked at, fuel, engine and hyd oil) change and fluid also.

Do not trust the appearance of the tires if loader tires to know their air pressure, sidewalls stiff enough to fool you.
I have had problems with seat base breaking, twice, was able to weld but still issue.
RPM, I was one who always ran high rpms when doing about anything and have backed off to maybe half throttle depending on the job. Of course when using pto it normally has to be full throttle.
Brake latch needs to be oiled right often, so does lift levers or they will stick very solid I will add.
Forget the ind brakes on this machine, unless you are using the throttle lock.
Watch what you wear on this machine, all the levers for pto and four wheel drive can catch your clothes exiting the machine.
You can replace the headlight bulbs with higher wattage as they are simple push and twist in blubs. Well mine are.
Realize how light it is, do not overload for pulling for such as braking on in poor traction.
There is knob between your legs to adjust how fast the lift drops.

We have used ours by far the most for mowing, either 6 foot rfm which is ALL it can handle when grass is heavy here and a rough cut mower just wider than the tires. It is the best tractor with that set up I have ever used around trees with the HST as you can easy stop and go. Not heavy enough to do much with cutting dirt with blade due to how light it is. Not a good garden tractor due to how low it sits to the ground which helps it with stability. Due to its weight and size makes for us a great sprayer tractor especially when using hand wand again the HST gives you the stop and go needed for that. Only issue I have with spraying is having any real idea of steady ground speed, with the HST is not as simple as gear tractor for running consistent ground speed.
Do not think just because you are able to use the hst pedal for slow ground speed in high range you need to use that range. If you are doing something heavy use low range and much of what I do is in mid range but high rpms. We only use the high range for driving, depending on the job spraying and cutting grass or running spreader. Do not use high range with heavy grass cutting.

One other thought, you are sitting near the pto and there is lot of noise coming off of the little rig and if using any pto device. Wear hearing and eye protection.

You have to fully depress the clutch to engage the pto or make any range changes. Do NOT RUN IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ON pavement or such. It will damage the four wheel drive system. The front wheels are running faster ground speed than the rear ones. If I pull out on hard surface road in four wheel drive can tell the tractor is almost bowing up.

As to the fel you probably will want to keep say box blade or some counter weight on the tph when using it for counter balance.

Do think you will enjoy the tractor, know we have. If we were buying it again would have gotten a fel. If is just a great tight space tractor. kt ....

View my Photos
cyclenav

2016-05-03          195118

Thanks for the information. I got to use it a little today and noticed a few things I want to do. There is a minor leak on one of the connectors on the FEL joystick, not the quick disconnect but the fitting that goes into the block of the controller. It is clear fluid and not a lot. I tightened it some, if it continues to leak can I remove it, install new Teflon tape and put it back together easy enough with no pressure to worry about? How much fluid would I lose and what kind and where would I add it?

I plan on doing an oil and filter change this weekend, is there a brand and type most agree upon? I have checked all the levels and air filter, all look good, oil is a little dirty but full so I want to change it.

Having 2000 hrs on it the rubber mat is worn out and pedal rubbers too. Where's the best place to get the pedal rubbers, the dealer, or are parts high everywhere you go? I have a game plan for the mat.

That's about it for now, getting used to the controls and how it responds and works, like how easy it is to maneuver around. Brakes don't seem very strong but really don't use them other than transporting on a trailer.

I plan on getting manuals, service and operator, are they available online or should I just get some printed ones somewhere?

Thanks Again! ....

View my Photos
cyclenav

2016-05-04          195119

Just a quick update, I found owners and service manuals online and they have answered most of my questions. Will still take any and all advice! Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-05-05          195120

To check the oil level for the rear end, transmission or the lift it is all the same. There is a simple dip stick on the right side of the lift drop control and the fill port on in front of where the 3rd arm connects to the transmission.

On the rubber parts think you will find Kubota only source however you might could us say a rubber mat for pickup bed for the large mat. The pedals may be available at parts store.

On the hyd oil and filter, to to Kubota dealership or I would with HST. It may have one or two filters so look. Forgot if on left or right side of transmission about where the foot board is. ....

View my Photos
cyclenav

2016-05-08          195134

Another update, got oil fluids and filters as well as pedal rubbers from the local dealer. My question is there is no concern about getting air in the hydro system when I change 4 gallons and filer and clean the screen? Should I add a pint of STP oil treatment as I have read in other forums?

How about the fuel system, owner's manual isn't very clear on bleeding it after filter change, basically says do it and run it for 30 seconds afterwards? Isn't there more to it than that?

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-05-11          195150

Don't think you will have any issue with air in the system. No idea on the stp, think in today's world use the proper oil and it has the needed additives.

On fuel filter think no issue there. You may need to use the choke to help pull fuel in the first time cranking but should be it. It is gas, correct? ....

View my Photos
cyclenav

2016-05-11          195153

It is a 4 cylinder 27hp diesel that is why I am concerned by the vagueness of the manual. Thanks for all the information so far, things are going well. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2016-05-12          195154

I would use Kubota Super UDT Hydraulic fluid, I would not recommend any additives. ....

View my Photos
cyclenav

2016-05-19          195210

Thanks for all the advice so far. I have been using it some and getting used to it. I have replaced the pedal rubbers and made a nice mat for the floor. There was a very small leak at one of the FEL quick release joints, I removed it, installed new Teflon tape and think it is fixed. I plan to change the transmission fluid with Super UDT, replace the filter and clean the other, as well as replace the fuel filter. I also want to change the oil in the front differential, which raises another question. The manual states UDT, Super UDT or 80/90wt. Which is the best for the front end? If I go with 80/90wt does it have to have an additive for locking differentials? I feel 80/90wt is thicker and less likely to leak in the future. Like automotive standard transmissions, most recommend ATF now but I feel the thicker gear oil lubes better. I have seen automotive manual transmissions with ATF fail more often than ones with gear oil. For this reason I am leaning towards 80/90wt even though I know tractors have a low ground speed. So, in a nutshell, which is better and why? Thanks ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-05-20          195211

No idea why I thought your tractor might be gas, brain freeze I guess. My manual does give decent details on priming but I always fill the fuel filters as full as I can, crank and then run it at least say 1500 rpms and it often will keep on running through any air left in there. A good note to know is WD 40 is very good starting fluid for a gas or diesel engine. Remove air filter and use burst of WD 40 while cranking it. Even if air in fuel system it will crank on it and keep using short burst while it is running till it runs steady.
What oil the manual says to use in front end not sure but if had option to use the same as in trans I would. I have a super duty manual transmission in Ford pickup and it uses ATF fluid. The clearance on machined parts is much tighter than years ago.

Do want to share a warning with you or two: hyd oil is running under say about 2,000 psi, be very careful with leaking injecting oil into your skin and cutting you. Also if you have a leak in that system it can drop your transmission level very quickly and give you a costly repair (I had this to happen). Also if not already covered do not run in 4 wheel drive unless on say gravel or dirt. On such as concrete or paved road can damage the four wheel drive system. The front wheels run faster ground speed than the rear wheels so the front wheels needs to be able to do some slipping. be careful and have fun. If you don't have a canopy on the tractor it sure is nice in the sun or rain or in hail. Do not play in lightening. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login