Go Bottom Go Bottom

B2100 Wheel Spacing question

View my Photos
kquishe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-11-02          188267

I have a B2100 with turf tires (33 x 12.5 -15). I want to spread the rear wheels but the operators manual is kind of vague on the "maximum" spacing. There is a range of adjustment possibilities all the way out to the end of the axle. If I spread the wheels from the minimum width to 2 additional inches on either side (4 more inches of wheel base) which is about 1/2 way out the axle, do I stand any chance of damaging the tractor by putting too much leverage farther out on the axle?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-11-03          188272

The ability to spread out the width of tractors for various reason but for row spacing is well known. Tractor manufacturers know this is done often and unless you use some kind of aftermarket spacers to get width wider they they made the axle and rims for or you are really using the tractor for something really odd or beyond reasonable use think you will be fine. I assume you would be doing so for stability and it can be amazing how a little width gives more stability.

One word of caution, if you have never done this be sure when changing the rear wheels do NOT sit a single jack under the rear end to jack it up. The front axle pivots and can be enough the tractor can be unstable and even come off the jack allowing tractor to get damage and you or anyone helping you. Be safe. kt

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-11-05          188287

Keith,

As a former B2100 owner, you're perfectly safe by extending the rear wheels out to the maximum width provided for.

My new B2920 does not have this feature, so I asked the dealer why Kubota did away with it.

His answer....."Kubota was receiving a number of complaints from users reporting that the rear wheels would work loose."

My dealer is correct on this. Check your rear wheels often. The bolt that holds the axle clamp tight can and does work loose on a regular basis. It is important that you check those axle clamps once in a while.....and especially before mowing a side ditch.

I miss the ability to widen the rear wheels when moving logs. The extra stance was a nice feature. Rather than do away with the ability to change wheel width, I think it would have been better to redesign the axle clamping system.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kquishe

2013-11-06          188289

Thanks kt, I successfully did the job! ....

View my Photos
kquishe

2013-11-06          188290

Joel, This is very good information, when I spread the wheels the bolt on the left wheel was no where as tight as the right, I suspect now that it was working loose. The tractor is a lot more stable with the wheels spread and a load of rimguard. Keith ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-11-06          188291

How about locktite on those clamp bolts? I do not know this clamp at all but that would seem to be a solution either with self locking nut or locktite. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-11-06          188295

KT,

It's been a few years since I last adjusted the wheel spacing on the B2100, but it seems to me that the problem wasn't so much the bolt working loose, as it was the tightening wedge that the bolt passes through.

If I remember correctly, the axle clamping system consisted of a split wedge, which when tightened, was supposed to spread to fill the gap between the axle and the wheel.

The axle is a hexagon, with flat sides. The wedge is supposed to slide along one of the flat sides of the axle as it is tightened. I believe the problem with the clamping system had more to do with the wedge failing to move in far enough as the bolt is tightened.

I figured out how to get around this. Adjust the wheel spacing. Tighten the clamp on the axle. Drive the tractor around the yard for a few minutes, allowing the clamp to work its way inward. Stop and tighten the clamps one more time. Check the clamps often. Any noticeable wobble in the rear wheels in a good indication of a loose axle clamp.

Joel

View my Photos
Art White

2013-11-18          188350

Good call joel!

It was a nice feature on those tractors but much like adding weight, once you do you won't go back but the hubs will have more leverage on them so the chance of them loosening is high. It is a good idea to check them within a short time and maybe after a few hours of operation. They very will take a set but if you think you hear a clunk from the wheel area chances are that is what it is coming from. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login