Go Bottom Go Bottom

shifting with Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission

View my Photos
andyk1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-08          175017

I have been trying to figure out what type of transmission I have in order to ask a question. I have a 1992 Kubota L4150 with a Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission as stated in the Operator's Manual. I do not think this is a FST, GST , or HST that is referenced in so many threads here. This tractor has a clutch pedal, a hydraulic shuttle shift lever, a hi-lo gear shift lever, and a main gear shift lever.

My question: The manual says to not shift the hi-lo gear shift lever or main gear shift lever without first coming to a complete stop. I agree with that except when I am moving forward I like to place the hydraulic shuttle shift lever in neutral and shift up (only up) the main gear shift lever then re-engage the hydraulic shuttle shift lever to forward. This works very smoothly. I find it is the only way to use the higher gears when carrying a real heavy load in the loader bucket or to get moving in 8th gear at all without lugging the engine. Q: Does this sound familiar to anyone and/or does it sound like a real bad practice to continue?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

shifting with Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission

View my Photos
magicheater
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-16          175171

8th gear with a load is always a problem. I never tried that with mine but I will now. I have a similar tractor L4350 with a wet clutch (ever clutch) and the 4 spd tranny and the Hi-lo range. Great set-up. You may have a dry clutch but the hydraulic clutch would be the same. I frequently put the shuttle shift in neutral to shift gears especially when I go from 5th to 2nd. This is my favorite combo for loader work. 2nd for engaging the pile and 5th for transport. The L4150 is in the HP family just below what I have which is the low end of it's series and I would guess you have the high end of your series. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login