Go Bottom Go Bottom

how to start a F2880 mower

View my Photos
garydkent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-16          173169

We have just bought a Kubota F2880 for our small holding and to be honest we have never driven a Kubota before and as its secondhand its not going to have a manual its just shipped on a palet,, is there anyone who could run me through the start up and operating procedure.
I t also has an outfront flail mower,,,that I will have to couple up anyone know what to do with this. I want to get it working before my husband returns at the end of the week

Thanks for any help

Angie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-16          173174

Angie, we in North America don't know the Kubota offerings in England but if it was shipped on a pallet it may have come from Japan as a "grey market" model. That means Kubota designed it for sale only in Japan, and local Kubota dealers might not be very sympathetic.

Maybe someone who knows that model will respond; otherwise, you might look for other Kubota owners in your area, one of whom might give you the help you need. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-16          173176

Angie,

Trying to run "through the start up and operating procedure" on that in a forum like this would require hours of typing at a minimum.

However, if you're determined, I'll give it a go.

First off, it's a diesel not petrol engine, so there will be "glow plugs" (little heaters) to aid in starting that will need to cycle before you can crank it over. I suspect if you turn the key to the 'run' position, but not crank, you will have an extra (usually orange) light that comes on for 10-20 seconds then goes off. The symbol on the light will likely look like a coil spring. When that light goes out, and with the throttle set about half, crank it over, just like a car.

There will be either a treadle-style (rocker) pedal, or a mated pair of smaller pedals, usually marked with fore/aft arrows in the rubber, this is both direction and speed control. As the symbols would suggest, one makes it go forwards, the other reverse. The farther you push down, the faster it will go in that direction. Releasing them should make it stop right away.

Next the mower deck. Beside the seat there will be some controls. Likely two are levers that run in a slot. One is throttle the other will lift and lower the mower deck. Note, the pedals are not a throttle, and if you depress the motion control pedals, the safety systems will prevent the mower from starting while doing so.

There will also be a switch with a symbol that looks like a large dot with a circular arrow around it. This is the PTO switch which controls the mower blades, one way the mower cuts, the other it's in 'neutral' and they don't turn.

Get a little used to driving it before you progress to cutting, the steering wheels are in the back, and it will seem quite odd at first.

Now, as for the actual cutting, run the throttle up to a little over idle, and with the cutting deck fully down, flip the switch for the PTO. Now once the blades are spinning, but before moving off, advance the throttle to a little short of full throttle.

Away you go.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
garydkent

2010-08-16          173181

Hi Murf

Thank you so much for you very helpful advise on the start up procedure. yes you are right it is diesel.

We haven't taken delivery of it yet i think it will be delivered this Wednesday.

its on pallets because its being shipped from Wales that's part of the UK, and not part of Japan,ha ha,,,, its being split into two pallets because of the weight so the mower on one and the flail will be on the second pallet.
The mower is about four years old and done about 1200 hours, we couldn't afford a new one but we are hoping the Kubota will meet all our needs as we have 10 acres to be mowed with another seventy left for the sheep to do

Oh, with the flail deck do you just drive up to it and connect it to the mower anyone know? or will there be more to it then that like pipes and things

Thank you for any help i really do appreciate it, its just i would like to have one of our fields mowed before hubby returns at the weekend

Thanks again

Angie ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-16          173183

Angie, if you go to Kubota's web site they have some info there on this mower. Link below on one page. Did not look further there but looks like they also cover the engine. Realize this is not a real manual but some general info and at least picture of the mower and deck connected. ....

Link:   F2880 mower

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-08-16          173185

If it's a model made for, um, Wales sales, factory manuals in English are available, and you can tap the nearest Kubota dealer (they seem to be everywhere). Explain you'll use them for servicing and parts, and meanwhile you'd like to order manuals, and ask them about whatever you have problems with. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-08-17          173205

I'd be surprised if the mower deck is a flail-type cutter, I've never seen one fitted to such a machine since it would put the operator squarely in the path of what comes out of the cutter head. That is definitely a less than desirable situation.

I think you'll find that the deck is a three-bladed rotary style cutter.

Either way, the hook up of the deck is basically the same, when close enough you attach the PTO shaft to the mowers output shaft, then ease forward and connect the two lift arms as well.

I would highly recommend though that you get your hands on a manual first, there's just far too much opportunity for something to go terribly wrong.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-17          173213

This is not in your question but do use hearing and eye protection. ....

View my Photos
garydkent

2010-08-18          173231

Hi ALL,

Thanks Murf, for all the helpful information.
I have ordered a manual from a Kobuta main dealer and arrange for them to give the mower a full service and safety check

Thanks’ Kthompson, for your Concern on safety, yes i have ear muffs and goggles,,, I don’t look too cute wearing them but hay

Murf, here is a picture of the mower with flail deck, maybe it’s know by another name in the USA

Thanks Boys

Angie

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors how to start a F2880 mower

View my Photos
garydkent

2010-08-19          173291

not sure why the pictures not showing maybe its to big. it seems to come up when you click on it

Angie ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-08-19          173296

I had no problem opening the picture if I clicked on the link when it came up. Not sure if Murf has seen it but it sure looks like a flail mower to me. They must has a good shield with low discharge opening on the rear of it.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login