Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
kbtinnh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-22          165172

Hi,

Newbie here (to tractors and this list). Though I could have used a tractor for the last 20 years I've only now getting around to getting one. I have 24 wooded acres that I get my firewood from and a 1500 ft gravel driveway that needs constant maintenance. Winters are hard on it. I have Kubota and a John Deere dealers nearby and have talked to each of them at length. I've narrowed my choices down to either the B3200 or the 2720, outfitted with a FEL, front snowblower, and a rear 6' blade. The final prices delivered are within $100 so that is not a factor. As far as I can tell from specs. and what the dealers claim the machines are pretty much the same. Not ever owning a tractor before I'd be interested in any insight into differences between the two that may be important. I feel that either will be a good choice, so it may come down to coin flip. :)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-22          165178

As to specs do both have the same lift capacity in pounds and amount of lift? Does one use chains to keep lift arms centered and the other sliding stablizers if so the sliding stablizers is normally more desirable.

Have you drove both? Does one fit you better than the other or the layout of controls?

But if all is close ask what brand engine is in each. Over time you will need parts and to me a company who uses their own engine will keep parts in stock longer. But realize that is not always true. To me you have picked two good brands. ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-29          165354

kb....I have the deere 2520 which used to be the largest 2000 series but they came up this year to the 2720 a larger engine version but think everything else the same.
Been happy with it overall only couple problems with front axel that dealer fixed, and he assured me even after the warrantee was over that if it went bad again he would take care of me. I chose the deere over kubota because the kubota dealer around me here would not give me the time of day and the deere dealer did everything he could for me to buy the tractor. see my picks on how i handle firewood only once with rear pallet forks and a pallet. Either tractor will do your job. ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
kbtinnh

2009-08-29          165355

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. We've made a few more visits and taken more rides. Details are starting to bleed together and now they seem even more similar! I think this will come down to which dealer we like better. We have been dealing with one of them for years and they would have the advantage in that respect. But we have been trying to be evenhanded and try to focus on the tractor.

kbt ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
bvance

2009-08-29          165357

KB,

I compared the specs in the areas that I believe are most important and came up with the following:

Engine HP: K (32 to 31.4 HP)
PTO HP: JD (25 to 23 HP)
# of cylinders: K (4 cylinders to 3)
Transmission: Both HST, but Kubota as 3 ranges: K
Hydraulic Capacity: K (9.9-9.3 GPM)
3pt lift Capacity: JD (1356# - 1300#)
Wheelbase: K (65.6-60 inches)
Width (stability): JD (56.5" to 53.8)
Weight: JD (2175#'s to 1764. Weight is important in transferring HP to the dirt.
FEL lift capacity: JD (1186#'s to 1065)
FEL Break-out Force: K (2,474#'s to 1,704)

Score: Kubota by a whisker, 6-5. There are many other specs to compare but all others were either unimportant or a virtual dead heat.

In looking at the above specs, most folks would never see or feel the difference. I think you could say it was a dead heat.

If everything is the same, go with the dealer you like best. Not just the salesman, but the service department is very important.

Good Luck,

Brian ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
bvance

2009-08-29          165358

KB,

As to what a dealer can do to make or break a relationship, see: What's the dumbest thing your..." thread that is currently in the current topics section.

Try to avoid those situatons.

Brian ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
kbtinnh

2009-08-30          165359

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance | view 165358
KB,As to what a dealer can do to make or break a relationship, see:What's the dumbest thing your..." thread that is currently in the current topics section.Try to avoid those situatons.Brian

OK, scary stories... Makes the dealer I know look pretty good.

Thanks for the analysis. About the only thing I found significantly different was between the snowblowers. The JD has power chute (for rotation). The Kubota has a crank. There is a power option but it pushes the cost up quite a bit.

kbt ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
qaz111111

2009-12-19          167567

I drove the b3200 a few days ago and the vibration is tremendous. Very nice machine but after only a few minutes I had been shaken to numb. I like the machine but not the 4 cylinder motor. IT has two cylinders going up and two going down. The 3 cylinder diesels are very smooth but not the 4's.
The 2720 has some issues with the front axle and some remarks about the front end being light? Seems hard to believe. There are no Massey Fergusons available until 2010 (and the tax advantage needs to be taken this month) so this seems to be the neighborhood. Any opinions to help choose a (need 4 in 1 loader, bh, tilt gannon and rake.) ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
Art White

2009-12-28          167752

In the long run the hydraulic rotators are the lowest price although they do cost more when new. The hydraulic rotators we often never see them for years but the electric ones it seems that we see several every year in for repair. About the time that it is past it's prime and needs to be replaced, the price becomes quite equal if not cheaper for the hydraulic units. Hydraulics are faster and if proper care of the spout rotation system is not given it does have the strength to clear ice from the system or to bend metal.

Your care of the whole system will mean a lot to the electrics longevity.
To remove the spout every year to ensure the plastic is clean and not grooved do to sand and foreign materail is removed.
To be sure that the electrical connections are cleaned and sealed with dielecric grease to keep moisture out.
It still will not give you the longevity of the hydraulic. ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
Budget28

2010-09-09          173920

I’m a happy owner of a new B3200 with information for those with concerns over the vibration issue that some have written about. First, when I first learned about the B3200 I compared it to the 2720 and test drove both a number of times and read reviews as much as I could. I purchased the B3200 because of the slightly larger size, the 3 speed transmission, 4 cylinder engine, and because the areas Kubota dealer (Blazey’s, Palmyra NY) was service oriented and the local JD dealer was not.
When the B3200 came to my home it had a vibration that I found unbearable and I returned it to the dealer prepared to trade it in on another model. However, by installing rubber mounts on the deck and resetting the timing to the required specs for this engine, the vibration issue was solved. Apparently when these 4 cylinder engines leave the factory, the timing is set to accommodate new omission standards and not set for optimal performance or to their design specs. These two steps solved the problem and I’m very pleased with my B3200 with just 10 hours on it now.
Anyway, for those looking at the B3200 before you pass on it because of vibrations, ask the dealer to do the two things put rubber mounts on the deck and adjust the timing before you make a decision. Because these threads were of help to me during my purchase decision, I could not help but share my B3200 experience with the rest of you.

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
holem58

2011-06-14          179013

please explain more about the rubber mounts exactly where do they go i am leaning toward the kubota b3200 worried about excessive vibration this will be my first tractor dont want to make a big mistake ilike the fact of all metalm hood vs the plastic jd please advise on which is better tractor for beginner thanks ....

Kubota B3200 vs JD 2720

View my Photos
Budget28

2011-06-14          179014

Rubber mounts go on the pedal deck to remove the virbrations from the feet. Adjustment of timing is the key. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login