Kubota 3240 or JD 3203: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Kubota 3240 or JD 3203: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-13-2009, 10:59 Post: 159390
dannw1431

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm considering trading up from my Case IH 245, to the Kubota 3240 for more HP. Have had the Case IH 2435 for about 20yrs now.

I'm shopping around and am looking at the Kubota 3240 with FEL and HST+ transmission for $23,800, vs the JD 3203 with FEL for about the same $$

Actaully, both prices appear to be no great deal, just factory pricing, but I have not negociated with the sales people yet. Any recommendations on how to work the sales people for the best price?

The Kubota HST+ transmission appears to be superior in functionality to the JD. Do I need all these functions that the HST+ provides and do more features equal more potential problems?

I'm leaning to the Kubota machine, because my local JD dealer doesn't give me the time of day. I've tried buying a finishing mower there last year and he was always too busy to sell it to me. Seems to spend his time on the larger accounts farmers / institutions rather than talk to me as a gentelmen farmer. In general, I value the service more than the low price.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advise

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

01-13-2009, 11:32 Post: 159391
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

I'm curious what functionality the Kubota HST provides that is superior to the Deere. My 4310 had far more transmission features than Kubota when I bought five years ago.

Anyway, as far as pricing in today's economy I'd offer 20% off factory list. It used to be that 10% off was pretty easy to get, 15% if you were lucky, but with the poor economy you might try for 20% (they can only say NO or come back with a counter offer).

Your last comment probably answers the question of which you should buy though. You need a good friendly dealer to support you, answer your questions, and make things right when they break. I bought JD instead of Kubota for exactly the reason you mentioned, the Kubota guy wouldn't talk to me or return my calls.

01-13-2009, 12:50 Post: 159399
dannw1431

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

Hi kwschumm, thanks for your advise, especially on the price negociation. Regarding the HST+ transmission, Kubota put a short video on what it's all about. Follow the link and you'll see it near the bottom left corner.

http://www.kubota.com/F/products/GL40/index.cfm

01-13-2009, 13:31 Post: 159400
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

Dannw1431,

If you search through these discussion boards, you'll find very little in the way of trouble arising with any of the Kubota products. Kubota makes a very dependable machine. It was because of the lack of maintenance issues found on these boards that I decided to go with a Kubota.

Like you, I wonder about all of the new electronics in some of the newer machines. Electronics, computers, etc... they generally don't mix well with outdoor weather, temperature extremes, dirt, dust, snow, rain....well, you know what I mean. Even so, Kubota has a reputation for putting all of their products through a very rigorous testing period before releasing them to the public.

The new HST-Plus hydro transmission has some very nice features. (I watched the video a few days ago.) It would certainly be a benefit to those who make a living with their tractors. For the average homeowner, however, those features would never pay off. The added price isn't really worth the few hours we'd save each year.

You might be able to purchase a few additional implements for the cost savings you'd have when going with the standard hydrostatic transmission.

Just my thoughts.

Joel

01-13-2009, 14:00 Post: 159405
dannw1431

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

Thanks Joel

I agree with your comment about the price difference and being able to purchase a few extra implements. Although at this time, I have most of the attachments I can dream up for now, with the exception of a backhoe. But I don't really need one now, and I've often wondered how well these backhoe's work on a small tractor. Is the tractor really heavy enough to effectively use a backhoe with?

But I'm getting off track a bit on that topic. I too have heard many good comments about Kubota in general and thus am leaning in that direction for now.

I am planning on putting a FEL on it as well and this is a must for me but will have to check further into this also

I appreciate your ideas and comments, thanks

01-13-2009, 14:32 Post: 159408
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

Dannw1431,

Let's talk about the backhoe for a minute....

You'll really enjoy it.......for about 20 minutes. After that, you'll find it to be more trouble than it's worth.

It would be far cheaper, in the long run, to just hire a guy to come in and do the work for you.

Just a few thoughts from some of the feedback I've received over the years.

Joel

01-13-2009, 14:48 Post: 159409
hardwood

TP Contributor

Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

Dannw; Welcome to the board. I have Deere for the same reason as you mentionerd, the dealer. My current 4310 is my third compact and all have been pretty basic, 12/12 transmission instead of a hydro. Having all the latest gizmos sometimes is'nt good when water, frost, or dust overpower the electronics involved. I have a #48 Deere backhoe for my 4310 and you asked about how well the little tractors do with a backhoe. I use mine around the farm for drain tile repair, rock removal, stumps, etc. they aren't meant for the real big stuff, but handle 99% of what I need. Another comment I will make about a backhoe attachment is if you have a Kubota tractor buy a Kubota hoe, John Deere tractor, a John Deere hoe, etc. Frank.

01-13-2009, 15:25 Post: 159410
DK35vince

Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

I have a Rhino 85 backhoe on my 35 HP tractor.
I really like it. Its here whenever I need it(no need to mess around renting or hiring out).
Good power, good speed, goes on and off fast and easy.
I've used my backhoe to dig/install all the utilities to our house, hundreds of feet of drainage pipe, culvert ditchs and culvert pipe for the drive way, dug the foundation for a pole barn, dug rock out of the bank to build the road behind our house to the barn, Etc. Etc.

01-13-2009, 15:48 Post: 159412
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

It depends on your needs, but the 47 backhoe on my JD has proven itself invaluable. I've used it for stumps up to maybe 18" in diameter, trenching and excavating for a retaining wall. Nothing too heavy. Getting it on and off takes about 15 minutes - it can be a minor pain but it's a whole lot less pain than using a shovel can cause.

Can't look at the video from work. What are the useful features of HST+ vs. JD's eHydro?

01-13-2009, 16:30 Post: 159415
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Kubota 3240 or JD 3203

dannw, I have a smaller Kubota with HST and did look at the video. There are some things about the HST PLUS I like and with no idea the extra cost would not want to say one way or the other on the cost verses the benefit but for my amount of use would not think it worth say $1,000 more. Then I don't have a FEL or tiller. I do use mine with the speed locked for spraying and have used with cultivators some but have found very little need to use the rear brakes for turning. I wonder if there is a electronic control delay in the system between front and reverse to protect the system with the ROCKER set up it has. Understand that is why they went to the spacing where you have to move your foot to give the system a split second between direction changes to prevent the shock of sudden changes. Not throwing off on the JD at all, but very pleased with mine that has HST.

One suggestion on the Kubota if you go that way, I have seen a few complaints on their FEL not sure if just a certain model or across the product line recently as to quality at least in appearance. I certainly would want to see THE machine before it left the dealership and give it a very careful look over for sloppy looking welds and bent metal on the FEL and it's arms.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 159390 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | candoarms 4 | dannw1431 6 | DK35vince 1 | hardwood 1 | JOHNWTHOMAS 1 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 3 | retcol 1 | SamSpade 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc