B7800 Hydraulics jumpy and noisy when cold.: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review B7800 Hydraulics jumpy and noisy when cold.: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-16-2008, 22:01 Post: 158607
JLucas

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 B7800 Hydraulics jumpy and noisy when cold.

Recently, I have noticed that my power steering has been working stiff. Tonight, when doing snow removal for the 1st time this year, the pump was noisy, and jumpy when lifting the fel, and rear blade just after starting. It did get better after it warmed up, but it has never acted this way before. What can be causing this?

I store it in the attached garage, so it doesn't get real cold (always above freezing). I bought this tractor new in 2004, and it has about 185 hours on it. I changed the HST fluid and filters earlier this year, with Kubota brand stuff.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

12-17-2008, 08:47 Post: 158613
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

WE have been working with a customer complaint of jumpy steering on one with only 62 hours on it. We did forget to go to the basic's!!!! After changing the steering box, a lot of time checking tires, gears and all other things involved in the steering. It was mentioned after we got started that it wasn't that way when new! Asking how long ago he started noticing it, was about the time he changed the filters and did service! We changed the hydraulic filter and all is well!!! We actually gained 250 PSI on the relief valve setting with one thing that is basic!!!! We should have done it first!!!!!!

Even new can be bad and with the chances that a manufacturer that wants to enhance his own machines can have one come out bad. Just think of what you might get with a filter that only has to match a price point!

12-17-2008, 11:41 Post: 158618
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Lucas, that jumpiness is due to lack of fluid in the pump either because the filter media is too fine and won't pass fluid and/or the fluid is too thick and cold---remember a CUT typically uses the machine as a reservoir which acts like a huge radiator. Running a pump this way causes what is called cavitation which will wipe out a pump in no time if left unchecked. Been there, done that.

12-17-2008, 12:24 Post: 158620
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Earthwrks,

You are correct, Sir. This is a very significant problem, and it should be addressed, pronto!

It's been a bit colder than usual, across the entire nation. It's been in the -20 to -30 degree range here in North Dakota over the past week. I've not had any problems with my hydraulic system, mainly because I pay EXTRA attention to these things, in hopes of avoiding any such problem.

The smallest amount of moisture in the hydraulic fluid can cause the filters to plug up with ice. It can also cause the sump screen to ice over. In addition, these cold temps can cause the fluids to become as thick as honey, making it nearly impossible for the pump to move it.

Most people don't like to spend the money on the highest quality hydraulic fluids. However, I have no choice in the matter. If I want to use my tractor at temps of -20 to -30 degrees F., I MUST use fluids that flow like water even in these extremely cold temps.

I just cleaned out my driveway. It was -20 when I went to work. The tractor performed flawlessly. There was no noise from the pumps, and the hydraulics were extremely responsive. I give credit to a very thorough servicing schedule, as well as to Kubota's Super UDT fluids.

Joel

12-17-2008, 13:11 Post: 158621
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

The down'n'dirty solution to a lot of the cold weather related problems is a magnetic block heater on the side of the TX casing.

They are cheap and don't take a lot of electricity relatively speaking. Most are 200 or 300 watts but will provide an important source of heat. They work especially well on things like the diesels lock and the TX casing since the thick cast iron really sucks up the heat and does a good job of distributing it.

On our machines that are trailered around, or must be left somewhere without shelter or power, a couple of those, a battery charger and a battery warming blanket will make any machine think it's summertime. It also means the total current draw is such that even a very small generator will still run it all no problem.

Best of luck.

Link:   Magnetic Block Heater 

12-17-2008, 22:59 Post: 158640
JLucas

Filter by User

After reading your advice, I now remember the dealer didn't have both filters in stock, so I bought a NAPA gold cross reference. I think I will change out both filters with new again (both Kubota this time), and invest in a magnetic block heater.

I did use the dealer recommended fluid, which I believe was the super UDT. I will double check that tomorrow. Wifes car is in the way, and can't get to the container.

Thanks guys for the tips, I will let you know how this works out.

John

12-19-2008, 22:44 Post: 158707
JLucas

Filter by User

I swapped out both filters with Kubota brand, and no more noises or jumpy hydraulics, it's working great.

I called at least six places including TSC, and various auto parts stores and all of the magnetic block heaters are sold out. I will get one when they become available.

Thanks for the help!!!

Happy Holidays

John

12-20-2008, 01:31 Post: 158710
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

In a pinch youcan use an infrared spotlight shining on the oil pan from below and or on the side of the engine PROVIDING nothing that can melt or catch fire is in harm's way. A few years ago my Dodge's diesel fuel system froze up. The undercarriage was packed with ice after a long day's plowing. My buddies and I made a tent of Visqueen and sealed the bottom of it where it touched the ground with snow then aimed a 40,000 BTU "salamander" heater underneath. 3 hours later it melted.

12-22-2008, 13:56 Post: 158800
r1bourg

Filter by User

I read the information to help me better understand my Kubota B7510. Up here in Whitefish Falls Ontario on the shore of Northern Lake Huron the temperature dipped to minus 28 last night.My tractor ran ok this morning.Never had any problems with it in 380 hours. It will start in this weather with 10-20 seconds on the preheat. My son a heavy duty mechanic in the nickel mines of Sudbury advices me to plug it in or keep in the garage. His point being the cylinders will get a good for nothing work out in cold weather...metal on metal. Another thing he advised was to give it a 10-15 minutes to warm up before using the hydraulics. Cold weather use is very hard on all other components as well.Glad to hear we have people like Art at Whites Tractor in NY.

12-22-2008, 14:39 Post: 158804
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1bourg | view 158800
Another thing he advised was to give it a 10-15 minutes to warm up before using the hydraulics.

Howdy neighbour!! Sort of anyways..... Laughing out loud

I hope your son also told you that a diesel makes almost no heat at all at idle. The only way to warm it up is to give it a little throttle, about 1,300 - 1,500 rpm works well.

If you have a way to rig up something that will blow the exhaust back onto the block that will help also.

Not only your block heater should be plugged in, but if you can keep the machine out of the wind, and put a magnetic block heater or two on the oil pan and transmission sump it will help a LOT. Warm oil is also a lot easier on the components.

Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 158607 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | candoarms 1 | earthwrks 8 | hardwood 3 | JLucas 3 | kthompson 2 | Murf 6 | r1bourg 4 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc