Go Bottom Go Bottom

Release of Hydraulic Pressure

View my Photos
retcol
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-18          156170

Does anyone have a foolproof way to release the pressure in hydraulic connections especially when the outside air temperature is high? I currently have an LA853 loader but I have exeprienced the same thing with my LA753 and also my Westendorf loader. I don't want to open up the connection to release the pressure. My other loaders had the female end on the tractor so I would push the tip against a tire, but with my cab it is reversed. Other times of the year I never have a problem. I always make sure I release the pressure before I disconnect the hoses.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-18          156171

Retcol; Being in a shed out of the sun helps a bunch, but even then I make an attempt to uncouple when the oil is hot from use and recouple early in the day when the oil is cool. That all sounds great, but it don't always happen that way so I usually just unscrew a coupler from the hose till it begins to seep a bit and in a couple seconds the pressure is gone. But for safety reasons always wrap a shop rag a couple times around it so that a sudden stream of high pressure oil can't penetrate the skin I know this isn't a recommended method or always a safe method but it is low cost and quick. When I had large farm impliments I would install a scheduel 120 "T" in the line with a high pressure steam ball valve to release the pressure. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-19          156180

We have very few machines that the FEL comes off of very often so it's not a big problem. Our main issue is the zero tolerance for oil spillage.

What we did was make up a pair of short hoses with a ball valve between them and a coupler at each end. Two of these are connected as soon as the FEL is disconnected and left in place. To relieve pressure all you have to do is open the ball valve.

I've seen others reverse two of the couplers so that each line is one male, one female, then you just loop the hoses back together when you park the FEL. That seals the couplers too, keeps them cleaner.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-19          156186

Murf That is one heck of a good idea. The loop in the tractor circuit. How many times have I bumped the joy stick with my knee and deadheaded the hyd.

To relieve pressure I shove the nipple in and wiggle the joy stick. I don't recommend this. But it works for me. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-08-19          156196

I have this problem when I run my skid steer a lot. All I do is shut off the machine and cycle the control levers (actually a foot pedal) a few times. Voila! ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-08-21          156217

Perhaps I'm missing something. If you lower the implament with the tractor shutt off and move the control valve all pressure is dumped, why are you finding it difficult to open the dissconnects? There should be no pressure on the hoses. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-08-21          156220

When you unhook your loader you use hydraulics to lift the loader frame off the tractor. If you do this when the oil is cool in the am and go back in the afternoon when the sun has been on the hyd lines sometimes there is pressure.

I've had mine off for weeks at a time and no problem. Yet I've taken it off to service tractor and hour later could not rehook the boom hose.

The only common problem I've figured out is the sun hitting the loader. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-21          156227

8x56mn; In theory you are correct, all pressure released, there should be no problem to rehook the couplers. Now in the real world the thing you are missing is that after the loader is off perhaps the stands sink a bit into the soil putting a bit of pressure on the boom cylinders, the air temperature comes up, the sun shines on black hydraulic hoses, etc. Usually the temperature of the fluid in the loader cylinders, the hoses, fittings, etc. is the culprit. If you could always unhook the loader hoses when the oil is hot and rehook when it cools off baring any of the other factors I mentioned things would work fine. Now if you have never had a problem regardless of all the things I brought up you are indeed fortunate. OK now again in the real world that might indicate that you have some air in the cylinders or hoses that is easily compressable instead of 100% oil which will not compress. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-08-22          156238

Yes I agree about the fluid heating, up , but again why not just wiggle the valve and let any build up go back to the tank, you know real world!:) ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-22          156239

8x56mn; I apologize for any misunderstanding we may have OK. But after the loader has been disconected from the tractor it doesn't matter how much you wiggled the lever to relieve the pressure before you disconected the hoses the pressure will still build up from the heat of the sun or just normal heat of the day in the loader cylinders, hoses, etc. Once you pull the couplers apart you have a sealed system in the loader circuts and cylinders, unless you have a leak the oil gets warm, expands, has no relief except to strech anything that contains it, the hoses mainly. I'd be curious to know just how much pressure buildup there really is in such a situation, likely someone has put a guage a the system to know that, I'd like to know myself. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-22          156240

I think some are missing the point of the original post.

When you take the FEL off the tractor, you do bleed down all the hydraulics you can and let the FEL settle down as best as is possible. However, it is very common that the FEL will settle further over time while it sits parked, or the ground beneath it settles, this can (and usually does) leave the hydraulics on the FEL under pressure. Since the valve is on the tractor, and the lines are under pressure which makes seating the line in the coupler nearly impossible, you are left with the problem of bleeding off the pressure safely.

Wiggling the control valve only releases pressure on the tractor side, not on the now isolated FEL's hydraulics.

It's a 'Catch 22' situation, you can't connect the FEL to the tractor until you release the pressure, but you can't release the pressure until it IS connected to the tractor.

Exactly the same situation arises, and likely even more often, with B/H's that get removed and put back on regularly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
8x56mn

2008-08-22          156241

Actualy it's my missunderstanding. In my case the hose dissconnect is at the control valve where your case is downstream from the cylinder, two different issues.:) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-22          156243

So when you disconnect from the FEL the valve stays on the FEL and not the tractor?

That would be a different story, in this case, my machines are the same, the valve is inside the cab or at the operators station and so stays with the tractor.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-22          156249

Anyone who ever owned or operated a John Deere 3010 or 4010 from back in the 60's has used the best hydraulic couplers ever invented to couple hoses that were under pressure. You pushed the male couplers from the impliment into the female couplers on the tractor, pulled down on a little lever on the side of the coupler housing. That little lever pressed the ball of both the male and female couplers open, worked like a charm. Why they ever abandoned such a good design is beyond me. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-22          156250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 156249
Why they ever abandoned such a good design is beyond me.

I suspect it was because if the couplers were not clean it would allow debris into the hydraulic system.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
joshusnr

2016-08-19          195672

This works for me on all my machines
Imp. attached or not

1. start the engine if the seat belt being on matters on your machine, put it on also (it must be on)

2. Turn the machine off and remain in the seat (seat belt still on)

3. Turn the key back on into the 1st. position (Not starting the engine)

4 Activate all Hydraulic controls (with the key on and motor not running)

5. Turn the key off, get out of the seat and make or disconnect your imp.

6. If that doesn't work, buy a New Holland

JOSH

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-08-23          195675

Ran into this Saturday on fel as the hoses came lose while using the tractor and the weight of the bucket put load on the hoses. Was not near wrenches but was near excavator. We took the excavator and picked up a little on the bucket and that was the end of the pressure issue. Please note the other hose had already been reinstall. Both were pulled off in working on dirt pile but only the up hose really was any issue. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login