Smallest Box Trailer for BX24 no Hoe i.e. a BX22 size : Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Smallest Box Trailer for BX24 no Hoe i.e. a BX22 size : Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-09-2007, 12:35 Post: 146675
mswlogo

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Smallest Box Trailer for BX24 no Hoe (i.e. a BX22 size)

I have few strange restrictions because my property is along the water and they are very strict on building anything to house a tractor. Folks are also very sensitive to what's visible from the water too.

So I was thinking of getting one of those box trailers. It could server as a "portable shed" and as a transport (which should be rare).

I don't want one too huge. So I thought I could take off the Hoe and put it in the trailer for the winter. And I can find a place to put the hoe out of the weather. I think with the hoe on height would also be an issue.

What's the smallest single axle box I could squeeze it into?

For reference I would tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which tows a 4500lb boat/traile single axle just fine).

Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-09-2007, 12:55 Post: 146676
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Mswlogo,

Any good horse trailer should work for you. They're available nearly everywhere on the used market. At most, you'd only have to replace the floor in the thing.

You might be able to find a used Featherlite bumper hitch model at a reasonable price.......plenty big enough for your BX with the hoe on.

As for other people telling me what I can and can't do on my own property.....well, they're asking for a fight. If I can't build a building on MY OWN PROPERTY, then why is it called "mine".....and what exactly did I pay for?

My foul words would quickly get me booted off of this board, but I wouldn't dare embarrass my mother by posting them here anyway.

Joel

10-09-2007, 13:11 Post: 146678
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Only you know how much space you need Smile Just measure the length, width, and height and call around to area trailer places to see what's available based on those dimensions. Other than that there's no real majic to figuring it out.
And you'll need to figure room to get on/off the machine once inside. And you'll need some sort of in-floor tie-downs if you paln on any kind of transporting---trust me there's nothing like a shifting load like a heavy machine sliding to the rear and lifting the rear end of the vehicle raise up and lose traction---not to mention possibly bolting through the closed door(s) and becoming part of the highway traffic! DOH! (I have had a an ATV come loose at 45mph and an improperly secured backhoe slide backward on a trailer)

But keep in mind not all enclosed cargo trailers are built the same. There are differences in the spacing of the floor crossmembers which support the plywood floor. And some have barn doors that swing open, which is fine but you'll need ramps--and they have to be strong enough to hold without collapsing. There is also a ramp-type door you may be able to get, but make sure it is designed to support the weight---I have seen many a trailer ramp door that the door went from flat to arched.

10-09-2007, 13:53 Post: 146684
mswlogo

Filter by User

I don't have the tractor yet !!!

And none of the specs on kubota site give the specs I need.

Min Length (with hoe (tucked) or without Hoe)
Total weight with Hoe (my guess is around 2800lbs)
Height with ROPs folded (with Hoe and without Hoe) 60in?
Looks like height is not an issue with or without Hoe. Even though it may fit it may be hard to drive it in if height is too low (small trailers are about 68 high inside.

I might be able to save a few bucks if I pick it up myself with the trailer.

I'm sure a horse trailer would be huge. I'm looking for the smallest !!! not the biggest Smile

Will it fit Inside a 5x12ft with out Hoe?
Will it fit Inside a 6x14ft with Hoe?

I need to plan where I'm gonna put it before I commit. Just curious of the practicality of using an enclosed trailer.

10-09-2007, 14:10 Post: 146689
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Mslogo,

I misunderstood. I thought you had the tractor already, but were looking for a trailer to store it in.

The trailer I was thinking of is a ball hitch trailer designed for transporting horses. It's low to the ground, making it easy to drive the tractor in and out of. And being that it is designed for horses, you'll have plenty of head room, even with the hoe still attached. It's not a big trailer.......barely big enough for the tractor and hoe......although I do believe it's a double axle type.

Most horse trailers have a walk-in door on the side, with large double doors at the rear. It would make a perfect storage shed for your tractor, and it would also keep any kids (as well as any adults) from tinkering with your tractor, as the doors can be padlocked.

If security is an issue, even the wheels and tires can be removed, preventing anyone from thinking about stealing the whole works at one shot.

This will keep your tractor out of the weather, while at the same time providing a secure storage shed, as well. The biggest benefit might be the fact that the zoning officials won't have anything to write you up for. And with proper anchor points installed, this trailer would also serve as a perfect way to transport the tractor from one location to another.

These horse trailers are constructed well enough to support the weight of your tractor and hoe, without any problem.

You'll have to go to your dealer to get the exact measurements, and then find a trailer that will work for you.

Joel

10-09-2007, 15:31 Post: 146694
testing

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Hope this can work for you. But if you have never operated a Diesel Tractor before, starting it in a confined space like a garage let alone a small box trailer can really can intense with the startup fumes.

10-09-2007, 15:56 Post: 146696
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Testing,

You are correct about the confined spaces, but horse trailers are not totally enclosed.

Oh...I reckon it's best to post a picture.

Joel

Picture Link
Kubota Review: Smallest-Box-Trailer-for-BX24-no-Hoe-ie-a-BX22-size

10-09-2007, 16:07 Post: 146697
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Most of the landscapers around here used fully enclosed trailers that way they can have a water tight place to store all their gear without having to rent a private yard to store an open trailer.

These are not the horse trailer type, I am wondering if the horse trailer type might let the opposite condition, that is too much moisture. don't they make them so the horse pee can drain straight thru? etc? Never that up close to them so not sure how they are set up.

Any way here is a jazzy looking landscape, car or ATV trailer sure to please your neighbors.

Picture Link
Kubota Review: Smallest-Box-Trailer-for-BX24-no-Hoe-ie-a-BX22-size

10-10-2007, 11:52 Post: 146742
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

The BX is an inch or two longer than 14 feet with the backhoe in the stored position.

I don't remember what the length is with the BH removed.....but if you had a box scraper on instead it would be just as long for all practical purposes.

You are probably pretty close on the weight..... if you add in the weight of the trailer you have a very BIG load for a single axle trailer.

10-10-2007, 14:35 Post: 146747
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I didn't see anything about weight distribution. My bad. Smile This is extremely CRITICAL on not only a single-axle trailer but a double too. And the fact the towing vehicle has relatively low tow ratings.

Admittedly, I know nothing of the machine with or w/o accessories in question. I'm speaking in general terms, but they do apply to this situation.

I do know that the backhoe in particular, weight-wise, could put too much weight rearward of the desired 60/40 weight distribution target. Too much weight (in either direction) could raise the rear of the truck too much i.e., not enough tongue weight or conversely too much if too far forward.

And it's not a simple as turning the machine around and backing it in. Uh-uh.

You literally have to test-fit the machine in the particular trailer, adjust the weight to the 60/40 target and see if it fits physically AND weight-distribution wise.

You may find that you have to get a longer trailer in order to see if you can attain the 60/40 target. Any other configuration is a recipe for disaster.

Also, once you establish the trailer length and EXACTLY where in the trailer (within a few inches in this case) the machine has to be EVERY time, you cannot just willy-nilly throw in "extras" like other attachments, implements, tools, gas cans, etc. without performing this exercise over again to ensure the trailer is loaded properly.

Unless you have had a poorly-loaded trailer wildly fishtailing out of control at 70 mph in heavy traffic---all this may sound like a load of crap. But that's exactly what you'll have in your pants when it happens!

Wanna see my T-shirt?

An' my old pants?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 146675 Filter by Poster:
backwoodsal 2 | candoarms 3 | DennisCTB 2 | DRankin 2 | earthwrks 3 | mswlogo 6 | Murf 2 | testing 1 | yooperpete 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc