Tiller for BX24: Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Tiller for BX24: Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-20-2007, 06:40 Post: 142246
BillShenefelt

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Tiller for BX24

Got my BX24. Now looking for a tiller. Kuboda dealer has them but not cheap ($1600 ). Was looking at Agri supply who sells Caroni tillers. They have a 32 inch (318 pounds) and a 48 inch (402 pounds) . Both around $1000 to $1100 with shipping) The 48" is over the weight limit for the BX24 (375 pounds max) but the 32" seems fine. Kubota has a 36" (255 pounds) but 50% more costly. Anyone have a tiller they like for a BX24?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

05-20-2007, 07:12 Post: 142248
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Tiller for BX24

Bill; My Dad had an old saying that went. "Quality is like buying oats. If you don't mind getting the oats after they have been thru the horse, they come a bit cheaper that way". I'm sure your Bx24 has a standard catagory one three point hitch and a standard 540 RPM power take off, so that opens up lots of tiller possabilitys for you. I'm not familliar with Kubota brand tillers, but their tractors are top drawer so I would expect their tillers to be the same. I lean real heavy toward Land Pride brand products, I've had their mowers, tillers, box blades, landscape rakes, etc. for years. A bit pricey, but top drawer. I'm on my second Land Pride tiller, the first one I sold at a weak moment to a man who offered me more than I paid for it and it was three years old. Nuff from me. Frank.

05-21-2007, 14:02 Post: 142289
s chrand

Tiller for BX24

I don't have a BX24, I've got the BX2230. Very similar. I went with the CCM brand MR-145. It's 49" wide and weighs in at 495#. The tractor has absolutely no issues with lifting or running it. None. At 49", it covers the tire tracks from the tractor, which is good. The tractor is rated for around 700#, 24" back, so I'm guessing the weight limit you cited came from the section of the owners manual that lists limits for all the different attachments.
I've heard that the King Kutter brand is also well built, but suffers from poor paint quality. And of course the Land Pride and Woods units won't disappoint either. And then there's the issue of chain drive vs. gear drive. Unless you're using it commercially, I doubt any of them will give you any reason to complain.
Good Luck,
David

05-21-2007, 16:19 Post: 142296
porterce

Tiller for BX24

Just out of curiosity I checked the kubota website for the BX24 specs and it says 991 lbs lift for the 3pt hitch and 661 lbs for the load point 2 feet, so sounds like you can take quite a bigger tiller than you though.
Cheers
Charles

05-21-2007, 16:30 Post: 142297
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tiller for BX24

Bill, is there an Agri Supply store near you? Will you be using the tiller much? I have purchsed from Agri Supply a good bit and they stand behind what they sell as good or better than any other company I have ever dealt with. If they have not changed, Agri Supply will refund your total cost if you try the piece and are not pleased with it. They did that for me on a flail mower. Not sure the brand now. The mower worked fine, just did not like the finish it left.

If you are not close to them parts could become an issue for you. kt

05-22-2007, 03:17 Post: 142313
WhitleyStu

Tiller for BX24

Back in 2005 we build a new house on 3 acres that had been farm field and tilled .25 acre for garden. Our BX2230 and King Kutter tiller (TC-48-XB-O) did a good job considering the rocky soil. Even turned up an old horse shoe while tilling in the garden the first year. I agree with the poor paint issue on King Kutter products, but mechanicaly it has held up good as much as we have used it. We tilled all the areas where landscaping was going in and also two 20' x 200' strips on each side of the property where spruce trees were planted.

05-22-2007, 05:41 Post: 142316
BillShenefelt

Filter by User
 Tiller for BX24

The 2230 lists 680 pounds for a 2 ft back lift on the three point hitch. The BX24 lists 661 pounds. The BX limits a tiller to 42 inch and 375 pounds. A BX 2230 is now working a 49 inch at 495 pounds for David, above. Doesn't this sound like the 48 at 407 pounds should work for me? What are the disadvantages of a 48 over a 32? I won't be doing a lot with it but do have a steep hillside I would like to back up and sort of "clear off" ocasionally and a small garden. Additionally the utility of being able to do a little patchwork grass seeding occasionally would be good. I don't know if the 32 would maybe be better from a stability standpoint or not. The 48 has the advantage of allowing an offset to one side which is very nice for getting closer to things. The 32 does not have this capability and would be narrower than the BX wheelbase so would really restrict this. I'm not terribly worried about "speed" since I really have a limited area to work anyway at any given time. I have no intention of going out putting in lawns or anything like that, just want something less hard on my back than my little Troybuilt Pony. Rental would be tough as I do not have a truck or trailer to haul anything. Just retired last year and am looking for some nice toys I guess.

05-22-2007, 06:43 Post: 142319
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Tiller for BX24

Bill; I think you would be happier with the "48". having it offset is a good feature. I think lots of us have had the experience of a tiller that was a bit big for the tractor. All of a sudden the tiller wlll come mostly out of the ground and "walk", pushing your tractor across the field fast enough to kinds scare the dickens out of you. My experience with that was with a JD tiller on a Deere 345 tractor. This is kind of a rare thing but it can happen if you try to go too deep the first pass in extra hard soil. Just run your tractor in four wheel drive and it should never happen. Getting kinda late for taters Bill, better buy that tiller today. Frank.

05-22-2007, 10:09 Post: 142327
BillShenefelt

Filter by User
 Tiller for BX24

Kind of scaring me Frank. I don't know how big the JD you have is nor can I find it on their site. I have a BX24, 1500 pounds with about 120 pounds inside each back wheel. I was hoping to clear a hillside of weeds(about 8 to 10 ft long and at almost 35 degrees)backing up a 20 degree slope to reach it with the tiler behind, then further uphill as I feel comfortable. Pointing this guy down a steep hill with the potential of taking off to the races is not a good thought. My dirt is mostly a clay base here near Pittsburgh, Pa. As for the gardnening, I doubt we will put more than my wife's traditional green beans and a few tomato plants and some Zuchini in this year. Whole garden is maybe 25 by 35 ft.

05-22-2007, 12:22 Post: 142338
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Tiller for BX24

Bill; I'm sorry I did'nt mean to scare you away from using a tiller. The John Deere "345 Tractor" I spoke of having the tiller pushing incident with is basicly a lawn mower that can have rear tillers, a front mount snow blower, etc. NOT a heavy duty tractor. I'm guessing it probably weighs 8-900 lbs. We stil have it with a 54 in. deck. I sold the tiller to the 345 a couple years ago after I got the first Land Pride for the 4310 Deere. Your BX24 weighs nearly a ton with you on it and with it in four wheel drive I really doubt that the tiller could ever push it. The first Land Pride I had was a model RTA-3576 (76in./wide, weighed/ 850lbs). The 4310 handled it Ok, but it was kind of an overkil situation, but I did buy it well under the money then resold it three years later for a tidy profit. The one I have now is a Model RTA-1558 (58in./wide, 440lbs. Just a more ballanced load. Hope i can help you out. Frank.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 142246 Filter by Poster:
BillShenefelt 7 | hardwood 5 | kthompson 2 | Murf 1 | porterce 1 | s chrand 1 | WhitleyStu 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc