Tip-a-canoe  tractor : Kubota Review  -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Tip-a-canoe tractor : Kubota Review -- Kubota Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-09-2006, 18:20 Post: 122492
Ben
2006-01-09 18:20:26
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

When my wife and I bought our canoe we brought it to the pond to see what it took to tip it over. We wanted to know its limitations in advance. We just got our new L3400 and we would like to know what it takes to tip her over but we don't want to do a test tip. This is our 1st tractor. I saw pics of Kwschumm,s tractor on it's side. Our tractor has a front loader and loaded rear AG tires. I know plain old common sense will keep it upright most of the time, but what mistakes should I avoid ? Thanks, Ben

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

01-09-2006, 19:19 Post: 122493
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

For one thing, stay away from soft ledges on hills Smile If you're in uncompacted fill go easy. If you feel like things are getting hairy just STOP, get off, and think about it for awhile. It's easier to drag a tractor out of a bad area than trying to upright it after the fact.

01-09-2006, 19:23 Post: 122494
bo
2006-01-09 00:00:00
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

what ponds due you canoe in

01-09-2006, 20:31 Post: 122503
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

Ben,

No doubt you will enjoy your tractor. I use to tip test cranes. Sort of boring if controlled but was dangerous if not. I assume you are worried about side roll over most. If you have a way to place a side load on the tractor such as a 3 point piece of equipement that rotates to the side you may can use it. If you don't have such I don't know how to tell you to safely. As for the front end coming up to me a boom pole will surprise you will how little weight it takes due to how far from the tractor the weight can be.

If you have a way to place a side load first get the tractor on solid level ground. Take the side load with it only a few inches off the ground and slowly extend it out until the tractor tips. If you do as I said it will stop tipping when the weight touches ground. That is why the load should be inches off the ground and not a few feet. In that case you proably will not only know when it will tip but also how it feels to be on your side.

There probably are more but the only two pieces of equipment I am aware of you could use to test this would be a back hoe or a side mount cutter. If you don't have either maybe you could borrow one or rent one. Be sure you don't over load lift arms doing this. If you find you are having a tendency to tip and are able to set you tires wider that will help make the tractor more stable. Also wheel weights and water (you probably would not want straight water due to freezing for one reason and rust another) in the tires.

I live on rather flat land and here the only times I have ever heard of a tractor turning over if such as Ken told you above or slipping into ditch or pond sideways. I have found my tractors take more to tip than the seat of my pants will allow me to do.

I am not sure if Kubota gives you a safe degree of slope to work on or not in the manual. Try looking first.

Of cousre if you can work up and down any slope rather than sideways. I found a warning label recently that told you to be sure you have your seat belt fastened and to remain in it if your tractor rolls, so it would not roll onto you. You can not out jump it when it is rolling.

Hopes this helps.

kt

01-09-2006, 20:45 Post: 122504
Ben
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

Hey bo! That's a different forum / different subject. Let's talk tractors. thanks, Ben

01-09-2006, 21:04 Post: 122505
Ben
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

There are so many warning labels pasted all over this tractor, It seems they ( Kubota ) expect something to go wrong. My car only has one rollover warning label, My truck none. I rolled a pick-up on it's side once and was only going about 25 MPH. Poor judgement on my part. I don't plan on being gun-shy with this tractor, just want to be aware of it's limitations. Thanks, Ben

01-09-2006, 21:24 Post: 122507
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

I guess I have been canoeing since before I can remember. I don't remember ever flipping a canoe unless we did it on purpose.

There are certain rules about canoeing like tractor that keep you out of danger. That said most of us have had them on 2 wheels at some point.

You generally what to run the tractor up or down the hill and avoid running across the hill. I regularly cut along the slope next to the road, between the road and the trees. I am generally balancing on the edge of sliding. I am balancing it on the edge. Ready to turn down hill at any moment.

We have discuss this a number of times. I would look back in the threads.

01-09-2006, 21:30 Post: 122509
bvance

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

Here's an easy way to tell what the tipping point might be: Put the implement on the tractor you would use the most and simply drive on a slope that causes your fanny meter to pucker a bit, shut off the engine, set your brake and get off and attempt to lift the tractor from the uphill side. If you can't lift the uphill tire off the ground, drive to a bit more slope and repeat the process until you find the point that you beleive is unsafe.

This sounds a bit elementary, but until I tried it myself I had no idea just what might be unsafe. I surprised myself with knowing I have a bit more tipping tolerance than my fanny meter was telling me.....everyone's fanny meter is of course different, and you just need to experiment until you find out for yourself.

You can also drive all around your property, testing various places until you know which areas are safe and which are not. Just remember, if you change the center of gravity with different equipment, load levels, or implement positioning, you will want to re-test.

When you test, don't push the limit and give yourself some fudge factor for safety.

Good Luck and safe tractoring!

01-09-2006, 21:34 Post: 122510
agriman

Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

Ben,

You gave the best advice... Good old common sense will keep you on all fours. Just think before you act. Ask yourself if what your about to do is a good idea.

Other good ideas. Always keep your load at the lowest point possible. The higher the load is raised the more unstable your unit becomes. If you must operate with a raised load then slow down, take your time and avoid making high speed turns.

I can't express enough the importance of using a rear mounted weight box when using a loader. It not only equals out the added stress to the driveline caused by the load but, it will also improve the handling of your tractor. Without a weight box any weight in your bucket (including the weight of the loader and bucket itself) is carried by the front axle which means your steering system has to work harder in order to try and turn the tires and in some cases you lose most of your steering performance and in others cases the system simple canít turn tires unless your moving.

If your carrying all the load with the front axle then think what's happening to your front tires. Without a weight box to balance the load with the rear of your unit your hammering your front tires. Premature tire wear will become an issue.

But lets be real here.. IF all you do with your loader is carry around a shovel, rake and a few pot plants then you may not necessarily need a weight box but, I would bet that very few people fall into that category or at least for very long.

One of my favorite sayings is ďYou canít fix stupidĒ In other words a Manufacturer can do everything in their power to prevent an accident from happening but, in the end itís really up to the operator to use his/her Common sense.

01-09-2006, 22:39 Post: 122512
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tip-a-canoe ( tractor )

If you're gonna tow you have to keep the tongue weight LOW. If you hitch a load above the normal drawbar height and it's a heavy load or the load gets stuck the tractor can easily rotate right around the hitch and flip over backwards.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kubota Review Forum

Thread 122492 Filter by Poster:
agriman 1 | Art White 1 | Ben 5 | bo 1 | bvance 3 | DRankin 3 | jjfinn 1 | kthompson 5 | kwschumm 2 | lbrown59 2 | MacDaddy 1 | Mike M 1 | Murf 4 | Peters 1 | shortmagnum 2 | wingwiper 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Kubota AT70s Rear Tine Tiller
+ Kubota HST GST Shuttle or Gear Transmission?
+ Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor
+ Definition of Tractor Loader Breakout force ?
+ Kubota B3200 vs. JD 2720
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Review
+ Kubota Transmission Fluid SUDT
+ Kubota BX2230 VS kIOTI CK20HST
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Quality
+ kubota bx25 vs john deere 2720

Most Discussion

+ How to match Truck to Trailer
+ New Kubota L3240 First Look Re
+ Kubota Number 1 in Compact Tra
+ KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
+ Source for after market produc