Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
jtfirth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-20          93922

I'm shopping for a compact and narrowed it down to a BX1830 or JD4010 with MMM, FEL, snowblower and box scraper. I think the BX1500 is a bit too small but wonder if I should also consider the BX2230 and JD4110 for the extra power. Any advice or good/bad experiences are appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-20          93923

I own both brands and love both brands, so I have no bias other that on an individual machine level. I find the john deere, which is really Yanmar in the 4010, 4110,4115, to be a better machine. Try both out, take the loader off and on yourself, use the turning brakes. John deere has brake pedal opposite the hydro pedal for tighter turns, the loader is easier to take on and off, quick tach bucket is standard, Kubota may be also as of recent. The loader breakout is stronger on JD. Breakout is the true measure of strenght, not the listed lift capacity. Buyers never weigh objects and decide if they should lift them, they just try to lift and if the rear end comes up they add more weight. When the hydraulics stop moving up is when you have really hit capacity. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-20          93928

Denwood pretty much covered it. I am not sure these are comparable machines but they are both good machines. I think the 4010 is the much more capable machine with the better ergonomics as Denwood mentioned with the brake pedal location. Try both brands out and see which you prefer. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-08-20          93934

Size wise the 4010 is a step up from the BX-series. The JD unit comparable to the BX-series would be the 2210. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
beagle

2004-08-20          93935

I would think a fair comparison would be the JD2210 and the Kubota BX2230. Both are subcompacts. The 4000 TEN series would be comparable to the Kubota B SERIES. Compare the specs. with the B-Series Kubota for tractors in the same class.

Spend a lot of time talking to the dealer. Service after the sale is pretty important. Some decisions boil down to the dealer, mine did.

Both build nice machines. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
jtfirth

2004-08-20          93960

Thanks for the input guys! More information is always helpful when making a major decision. Technical info such as breakout force vs. lift capacity is something a "rookie" wouldn't think about. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Murf

2004-08-20          93965

Beware the specifications. They can be VERY deceiving unless you study them in detail.

There are no definitive, widely accepted and used performance standards for these machines. Accordingly one manufacturer specifies the 3pth lift at the arm ends while another rates what it can lift 24" further back. FEL spec.'s are similarly confusing, some manufacturers rate the lift at the wrist pins, some further out, some include the bucket weight, some not.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-20          93966

The breakout force of tractors vary depending on the size and from brand to brand. Unfortunately I must have missed a few comparisons as I haven't seen a manufacturer who holds the high from top to bottom of the lines on break out force. Try driving them all, put a load in the bucket and see who might be able to turn the easiest lock to lock on the steering wheel. Try driving them up different grades and see who pulls the hills better, check them out on the jobs you feel you need to do! There are no two machines that even when built in the same factory that will ever perform exactly the same. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-08-20          93967

It would help us help you if you specified what you want to accomplish with your new friend as you seem to be comparing Green apples to very small oranges!

both are good but difficult to say any more till you specify the task in general.
Dean ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-08-20          93968

Ask your spouse which one you should go for, thats a sure fire way to get the machine you REALLY want, and it ensures you get to make more tractor purchases in the future. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-08-21          94032

Denwood or anyone who might know,what is the history of the Yanmar engine that Deere is using? I have one in my machine, 4cyl 43 hp, it starts great even in sub zero runs smooth, I feel it's a little loud, maybe because of the low muffler, but I know nothing about how many hours it would be good for, is it a throw away,how long have they been around? Thanks ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
jtfirth

2004-08-22          94097

As Dean pointed out I should have mentioned what I intend to use the tractor for. Most of the time it will be mowing or blowing snow. It will also be used for landscaping and clearing some scrub brush. There's lots of rocks that are just too heavy to lift and move and that where the FEL will be handy. I've had a chance to look at the JD2210, as suggested, and it seems to be well suited for what I want to do. I'll get a chance in the next few weeks to try it and as an even comparison the BX2230. This should make the choice a bit easier. Thanks for all of the input! ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2004-08-22          94102

i am a kubota owner and lover! i feel the l's are built heaver than anyone elses in the same range.. but in the small tractors, have you looked at the new holland tz18 and 24? i think they look a lot beefer than any others. was with a buddy when he was looking, they priced a tz24 hydrostat with the suppersteer and auto 4x4 and 60 inch deck for 10700, a lot more for a lot less than anyone else. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
denwood

2004-08-22          94131

As for the Yanmar deere is using, I believe there are several different sizes, and I know of many with well over 2000 hours that run as new. I have a 26HP yanmar in my Takeuchi track hoe with 2700 hours and it runs great, never a repair of any sort, not even a minor external part, nothing. Starts like a light switch switching on, no cranking just runs. Yanmars are my favorite and I have owned many brands. Yanmar is one of the most popular among sailboaters with a small inboard, they even make a diesel outboard motor. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-03          95462

Size wise the 4010 is a step up from the BX-series. The JD unit comparable to the BX-series would be the 2210.
================
You can get a Kubota sub compact with a hoe but you can't put a hoe on a JD sub compact .

It may be a rumer but I heard JD has a problem with frames breaking on their compact tractors when using a Back Hoe.

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-03          95473

lbrown, I don't recall anyone here reporting broken JD tractors when using a JD backhoe designed for the machine. Aftermarket 3-point backhoes are another story, but it's likely every brand has had some problem with them when they are misused. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-06          95734

But then again Ken - You also didn't recall any loaders falling off a JD 790 either like mine did & you said you goggled it, However mine & others from the local deere dealer did recall it. Brown never said he heard that info on this site. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-06          95736

OK Steve, I'll bite. What did I say that you find in error in either situation? ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-06          95738

Well, if lbrown59 has misgivings about the Deere then he should buy the Kubota. Then after he has had the Kubota for awhile, he will then go buy the Deere. Mark can make the most objective and heads up comparison in this case as he has owned both. For some reason he sold his first Deere and Kubota and is a very happy owner of a 4115 with a hoe on it. I am sure he can add some very valuable comments to this discussion. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-06          95742

LBorwn wrote - It may be a rumer but I heard JD has a problem with frames breaking on their compact tractors when using a Back Hoe.
you wrote -
lbrown, I don't recall anyone here reporting broken JD tractors when using a JD backhoe designed for the machine.

Ken - I consider you a VERY intelligent guy & I really enjoy reading alot of your posts & have gained alot of wisdom from you. However - I have noticed that when ever someone criticises Deere, Your all over them with defense. Maybe I misunderstood you with this statement & if I did, I apology :). It just seems like no one can vent about deere without you defending deere. Other then the arrogant attitude & lack of backing up there product they are a great product but do have flows as all the brands do. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-06          95745

Steve, I didn't think I was being defensive. You think I was? Stating that something doesn't seem to be a common problem doesn't mean it has never happened. Just as with your loader problems it would be a mistake to take an isolated incident and assume it applies to every machine like it or every machine of a particular brand.

Here's an example on the other side. There was a long thread and pictures on another tractor board about a guy whose Kubota BH90 backhoe was bent up like a pretzel and Kubota wouldn't do anything to help him with repairs. I could post this anecdote on every Kubota backhoe thread here but it would be dumb to do so since it appears to be an isolated problem. I would never assume that all Kubota BH90 backhoes have a problem based on one reported incident. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-09-06          95748

Thanks, Denmar,it does seem to start quick and easy. Just hope it goes 2700 hrs with no problem. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-09-06          95749

Hey you guys please let me know what you think of this great idea!

If I over spray my new Kubota with a Deere green mist, could I then legitimately say mine is BIGGER,FASTER,STRONGER, or would I just be stuck with an embarrassing CHARTREUSE Tractor?

Let me know what you think OK?
Dean

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-07          95758

Hey Ken - Could you post the link to the thread with the bent up BH90 backhoe for me? ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95770

Grassy,

First thing is that I ABSOLUTELY refuse to in any way give the Taliban OBL Like Tractor board any usable advertising or visibility.

I remember this post about the BH90 backhoe dipper stick or boom bending and as I recall, Kubota would not warranty the damage because the owner had a thumb welded onto the bucket. My CRS is pretty bad so I may be incorrect here. Upon doing an extensive search on the TOBLTB; it appears that this post has been deleted. (BIG surprise there ehh???) ;O) I believe the poster's name was CWStevenson but upon checking his profile he now has only 8 posts and his last post was 09/30/03. (real big surprise there as well) LOL!

I will keep looking but if I find the link to the post I can email to you if you agree NOT to post it here on TP. I will have NO part in giving that bunch a yahoo's any visibility. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-07          95781

Yeah, the TOBLTB deleted the entire thread. Typical censorship for them. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95783

WOW!!!!!!! I actually have a "moment" there of CRS clarity remembering back that far. I think that post is about 2 years or more old. ;O) ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-07          95849

I agree not to post it here cheif, please email it to me. Thanks. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95850

As already mentioned above Grassy, as best I can tell; the kind folks over on the TOBLTB have deleted the entire thread. All I could find were a few post referencing it. Sorry but no cigar. In a nutshell, this guy welded a thumb on the bucket of his BH90 and evidently bent the the dipperstick digging with it. Kubota would not warrantee the failure or help with the repairs. He had to eat it. Not my idea of a customer friendly company, but they still make damn nice machines. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-07          95852

Actually, IIRC the guys dealer supplied and welded the thumb on the BH90 and because it wasn't a Kubota approved part they voided the warranty on the whole backhoe.

Chief, how on earth did you remember the guys name? ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-07          95853

Ken, your CRS must not be near as bad as mine. I spent a couple of hours researching on this and found the Kubota Quadary post and that was the only reference I could find along with the legal post from Kubota.

Bottom line as I remember it was that Kubota and his dealer really did this poor guy dirty rotten. When I spoke my peace about it when I was posting over there; the JBT's sent me the warning and threat PM's. ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-08          95867

Chief, Kubota offers a thumb for that hoe which doesn't hurt the integerity of the machine at all when used properly. Improperly mounted attachments as well as the use causes problems for everyone including the manufacturers and the dealers not only the customers. The BH90 is a good hoe and when used properly with a properly mounted thumb can do a lot of work without damaging the machine nor the operators pride! ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-08          95872

I've been amazed at what mine can do without the Thumb! It's a powerhouse! ....

Kubota or John Deere

View my Photos
dsg

2004-09-08          95938

I've been using my JD #48 hoe with a thumb (see my pic #8)
for 3-yrs. and no problems as of yet. It's a thumb I designed and had someone else weld up. Deere had nothing to do with it, and it (knock on wood) has not caused any damage to the hoe.

David ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login