Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B2920 versus Mahindra 2015

View my Photos
irishman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-30          162443

Can anybody tell which is better mahindra or kubota ? I'm looking at the mahindra 2015 HST with loader, looks like a nice machine. But I got a price on a Kubota B2920 and it was only $1500 higher for 9 more hp. I only have 4 1/2 acres, 2 which are hilly timber.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-30          162446

Well, you can't go wrong with Kubota. Good products, big dealer network, comparatively high resale value and a long history of quality. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-01          162458

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 162446
Well, you can't go wrong with Kubota. Good products, big dealer network, comparatively high resale value and a long history of quality.

I totally agree with Ken. I have two Kubotas and other than one transmission gear have been very pleased. I have friend who sells tractors and does sell some Mahrinda. To me that would be my biggest reason not to buy a Mahrinda, their dealerships and support are not near what NH, JD or Kubota are. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-05-01          162459

They both have a full lineup of models and attachments, but I've seen lots of 'botas but never the other, which might say something. Also, there's no question of Japanese quality, but I don't know about Indian. ....

View my Photos
irishman

2009-05-01          162461

Thanks guys appreciate your opinoins and experiance ....

View my Photos
Capt_D

2009-05-02          162477

Hello,
I own a Mahindra 7010 which is a rather large tractor with a cab. I have had a number of problems including a number of recalls. My engine was replaced at 300 hours due to a recall. My front tires had to be replaced due to a design flaw which caused them to make contact with the bucket frame and tear them up. The fuel tank has been replaced/repaired 3 times. The mirrors fell out of their encasements while the trator was not in use. It was during the winter and occured during cold weather. Bad door latches, headlights/horn/ swithches are harnessed together and have always blown a fuse as soon as you use them.
Currently, I was told by the rep straight from Mahindra that the tractor does not have 4-wheel drive. Instead, it has 4-wheel assist. This was pointed out to me because I just experience the drive shaft to the front breaking while I was smoothing out gravel on a road. I had simply put the unit in 4-wheel because it had begun to rain and I needed to get through mud that had not had gravel put on it yet. The rep told me that the front-wheel "assist" is not designed to be used while using the bucket. Needless to say, Mahindra has refused to help in the repair the same as other occasions. The problem list goes on but you get my point.
I have several Mahindra dealers in the area. The one I bought the tractor from has decided to sell Bobcat tractors instead. They wanted to charge me around $500. to just pick up and deliver the tractor. So, I went to another dealer and recieved terribler service and poor results. I assure you that the dealer is as important as the brand tractor you purchase.
I truly understand there can and will be equipment problems and I feel like I have had more than the average. However, he major concern to me and what I will look into greater with my next purchase is the dealer and mfg. support when the problems arise. ....

View my Photos
unit5alive

2009-05-08          162613

My Dad has a 04 2015hst great tractor,(picture in my gallery) the only thing I don't like about it is the mmm set up ,not as easy on and off as my bx2200, but its got a strong loader,and a great engine, it has between 300 and 400 hundred hours and never misses a beat!,but if it was me I think I would buy the Kubota. ....

View my Photos
ejkessler

2009-08-19          165096

I did a lot of research on Mahindra prior to buying a Kubota years ago. They are a widely used tractor in developing third world countries like India. They have a well needed place in certain markets, mainly because of their price, just like a KIA or a Hundai. Nothing wrong with that if that is what fits your needs. Every time I have ever traded in my Kubota for a new one I have always done very well on the trade in value and love the machines. Be careful, as I just posted in a previous thread, you can go broke saving money. Also the previous response to mine speaks volumes. ....

View my Photos
tomwilli

2009-09-03          165434

Little late but better late than never I guess.

Most of the 15 series of Mahindra's are actually Japanese Mitsubushi products so the quality is there as well as the reliability.
They also do excel in loader and 3 pt capacities.

Unless I am mistaken and I am quite often according to my wife, most tractors ( regarless of brand )are front wheel assist. Some larger 1's are true 4 whl drive.

You can tell true 4wd when all 4 tires are the same size.

Price, complexity, etc have some bearing on the rationale for 4 wheel assist as opposed to 4 wd.

By the way, I do not own a Mahindra nor am I a Mahindra dealer.

Later and have a good evening

Tom

View my Photos
Art White

2009-09-04          165436

As a dealer a different take on this is many manufacturers switch the base makes of the tractors they choose to sell. I've sold the mitsu's two times with two different colors on them as well as names. There are others as well we have sold. The same as what is going on with Yanmar now being through Cadet, they put jd on the compact tractor map as a good quality line. Now most people just defend there purchase of a deere for being an american owned company.

I like selling a superior quality brand that someone is proud enough of what they build that they put their name on it! ....

View my Photos
ejkessler

2009-09-04          165449

Japanese Mitsubishi product does not necessarily mean Japanese Mitsubishi built. Parts is parts, but built where? Built by whom? Built by what quality control standards? From what I can tell, a company who puts there name on the product and builds it from start to finish is still in a product league of its own. I don't want a kit built tractor or any variation there of. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-09-04          165454

Kubota builds a lot of their own parts but I seriously doubt they build everything. Like alternators, starters, bearings, instruments, seats, ignitions switches, fuse boxes, fuses, tires, radiators, wiring, headlamps, fluids, etc. Just like the best brands of cars outsource a heck of a lot of manufacturing and buy as much as possible off the shelf.

If they built everything themselves nobody could afford one, the volume just isn't there. They don't sell millions of tractors. A smart company buys the best parts they can and makes the parts that are custom. If the parts they buy cannot meet their specs then they either make them or subcontract custom work out.

Kubota makes a fine tractor but I'd stack a Yanmar engine up against a Kubota any day. Neither seems to have any failures to speak of.

View my Photos
ejkessler

2009-09-05          165466

I agree completely. I overstated the build from start to finish.I agree that there are many other well made engines and well made tractors. Yanmar is a great example. I am not implying Kubota is the only show in town. I am not saying that a Mahindra tractor would not give good service for the right money. My personal opinion is that the difference in price that I found when I looked into it before purchasing a Kubota, to me did not offset the difference in tractor quality, trade in value, and in parts and dealership availability. I believe there is a reason why you don't see very many Mahindra dealers. I don't see it as an apple to apple comparison. I hope it is understood that I don't have anything against a tractor like a Mahindra given the proper context. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-09-05          165470

EJ, you are right on the money about value. There are a lot of good tractors but many lose their value quickly. Often the value is lost not by quality but by the absence of a parts chain and consistent dealer support which take years to build. How many times have people posted about not being able to find parts for less prolific brands?

I like the TCO (true cost to own) model Edmunds uses to rate cars and trucks. It takes into account estimated fuel consumption, cost to insure, repair costs and depreciation. Expensive brands are often among the cheapest to own because depreciation costs are so much lower.

Depreciation factors into tractor cost too but not if the owner never sells it. However, a tractor parked due to lack of parts isn't worth much.

Customer loyalty is built by consistently providing a solid product and good support. In today's short sighted business environment building loyalty is low on the priority list - quarterly profits rule and "loyalty" is proclaimed by marketing as an afterthought.

Rereading this it sounds like a bunch of labor day rambling. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login