Go Bottom Go Bottom

RC60-71 frozen idler pulley and misc newbie questions

View my Photos
studioe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-12          164864

I recently purchased my Kubota B7200D 4x4 tractor after wanting one for years. It's no spring chicken, but it runs and cuts great now that I changed the mowing belt out for the right size (the old one was 1/3 thickness of the new one).
Anyway, I noticed smoke coming up from under the belt cover while mowing last night. I immediately shut off the PTO to the deck, and went to the barn to take the cover off. The large idler pulley will only rotate in in direction - the wrong direction, and locks up in the other direction causing the friction/smoke/burning. The entire compartment was filled with what looked like dryer lint - I assume this was the result of shedding off a layer of my belt.

Anyway, I took the bolt off the pulley thinking I could buy a replacement bearing or something, but I couldn't pry it off. I don't have a manual for this deck - is there some trick? Is this a common thing to happen to these? Can I get one aftermarket?

Being a rookie to this site as well as to this tractor, I figure I'll ask a couple more questions from the experts here.... After parking the tractor for a week, there was some fluid on the floor of my barn under the real wheel axle at the center. The puddle was about 10" across or so. Should I be concerned? Also, non of the gauges or lights work - is this s big job to correct? I definitely need lights for snow blowing in the winter.

Thanks for any help!!

Eric Whiting
Greenwich, NY

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-12          164880

No doubt you will enjoy and get good use from your tractor.

I believe you always do the simple first and them move up the line in trouble shooting. On the lights The fuse probably is the easiest to check but I suspect you will find bad light bulbs. I think your tractor has the same headlights my CUT does and those are replacement bulbs in a large light housing. Note the wattage of your bulbs if they are bad or even if not. I was able to step up to the next size in wattage and that was big help in light output. If neither of those then probably a damage wire or possible light switch.

On the leak, did you try to tell what the fluid was? From that area would seem most likely to be from the transmission/rear end area or even the axle. Just dipping your finger in the fluid and rubbing it between your finders and smelling it should tell you what it is. If oil it should be fixed. Best to begin with clean tractor so you can see but you may find it is a loose drain plug, oil filter or a connection you can take care of. Or you may find it to be such you need to take to mechanic. If oil you should check your transmission and rear end fluid (may be one and the same) to be sure they are full.

On the pulley, no idea what yours look like so only can suggest the use of oil to loosen it on the shaft. Sounds like you may have a ball bearing that is damaged. If near a Kubota dealership you might find it a good idea to get model numbers and serial numbers for mower and stop by there and ask on the bearing a pulley. They probably will be willing for you to see the parts breakdown and thay will give you an idea. If you are buying the parts for such I find they will give me simple directions on such if I ask.

Hope you well with these repairs. ....

View my Photos
studioe

2009-08-13          164901

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was planning to do all those troubleshooting things prior to messing with anything else, but the guages are my biggest concern since I can't see the temperature or fuel level.

As far as the pulley is concerned, I have the RC 60-71B mid mount mowing deck. My concern is the mounting - is it only the one bolt that keps it on or is there something else I don't see. I tried getting a crow bar up underneath the thing to pry it up, but it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to break the lips so I didn't push too hard. ....

View my Photos
studioe

2009-08-13          164902

oh yeah, and the puddle is not oil I don't think...it's clearer, and it's the same size each time I turn it off - 8 or 10" across. And it's originating from the low point between the rear wheels...I have no idea what that is. Is there a transmission fluid back there? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-13          164927

Miss the gauges were not working. I would first check the fuses and if good then to see if power to the fuse block.

On the fluid, hard to believe it is not from the axle seal and am guessing it is a slow leak and the reason it is about the same size each time is the length of time it is parked each time is about the same. Check your oil level. It could be low or way over filled causing a leak. Not sure but think your transmission and rear end are the same oil system. Try running your finger or a paper towel under the
right rear axle at the housing and see if is oily. If you are 100% sure it is not oil the only thing I can think of from your tractor would be either coolant and don't think you will find any coolant lines there or fluid from a filled tire. Doubt you have liquid ballast in those rear tires but possible. But that should show up right around the tire. Guess there could be a fuel leak that finds a path to drip there when the tractor is parked but the smell of fuel should be easy to pick up on. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-13          164930

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe | view 164902
oh yeah, and the puddle is not oil I don't think...it's clearer, and it's the same size each time I turn it off - 8 or 10" across. And it's originating from the low point between the rear wheels...I have no idea what that is. Is there a transmission fluid back there?

"it's originating from the low point" or is it just dripping from the low point? You really need to get a good light source and of course with tractor off and blocked so it can not roll look under it to find the source. Hope you find it just a loose filter, drain plug or such. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2009-08-18          165056

Many hydraulic fluids are clear or near clear looking. ....

View my Photos
mikethefixit
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-10-15          166342

In regard to your frozen Idler. I have access to idlers,just not Kobota. Usually they are a sealed bearing,the rubber seals fail and let the moisture in and the result is rust and failure of the bearing. They are not real expensive so just replace it with new. As for getting it off the shaft. Try PB Blaster. IF that dont work,then try an old mechanic trick (old like me)candle wax. It may require you drop the deck. Take the nut off the shaft,with a propane torch,very carefully heat the bolt,not red hot now. Then take a old candle ( i keep em in my shop) stick in on the bolt and let it melt. the wax will run down the threads and down the shaft.Let it cool out.Use a prybar or pickle fork under the pulley,it should pop rite off.I use this on old flywheels also,it works like a charm.
GOOD LUCK Keep me posted.
Roger ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login