Go Bottom Go Bottom

R4 verses Ag

View my Photos
sdgilmore
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-27          92032

Just ordered a DK-35 with loader and backhoe. Will be mostly doing road / ditch work and clearing of property, some snow removal. Live in the mountains where field work won't be an issue. Dealer says I should have ag tires, but they seem pretty aggressive for around the house, and don't want the land real torn up. Any advice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R4 verses Ag

View my Photos
Logan

2004-07-27          92033

I just used my L3010 at my place in the mountains for the first time. It has R1's. Worked great in the mud and clay while grading the roads, but the R1's REALLY eat up grass in the yard if the ground is damp. I have used it a lot at my home in s. GA (yard work)when it is dry and while you can still see the tracks, the first rain takes care of it. ....

R4 verses Ag

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-07-27          92034

I have always used R4's and haven't had a problem.. Many forms of differernt types soils, gravel, mud, etc... Quite a few short, but steep hills.. I doubt I'd even try R1's although many tractors around me do run the R1's.. ....

R4 verses Ag

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-07-27          92035

I like the heavier, stiffer R-4's especially for loader work. I have found they work well in most conditions except for heavy thick mud and clay. They just load up and become slicks unless you can run through some thick grass to clean them off. The R-4's don't tear up grass like the ag tires. ....

R4 verses Ag

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-27          92039

I blame R4s for rolling my tractor. In our clay soil they slip and slide wet OR dry. One day they plugged with clay, became slicks, and after a long sordid ordeal I ended up rolling my tractor. See my pics and the archived threads "I hate my R4s" and "I hate my R4s part II". Since the R4s were replaced with R1 ag tires traction is 1000 percent better. R4s are a compromise, and like most compromises they don't excel at anything. But they won't tear up your turf as much. ....

R4 verses Ag

View my Photos
c011he

2004-08-06          92835

Check this out R4s look like the best choice for most applications:

http://carverequipment.com/tires_for_compact_tractors.htm ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login