Go Bottom Go Bottom

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
Justin Barnes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-17          49406

Yes gas has been run in the motor. I looked and it has 366 hours is that alot? How much damage will the gas do to the engine?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2003-02-17          49408

YOU SHOULD CHANGE YOUR POST HEADING TO GAS IN MOTOR, DON'T MAKE IT SOUND LIKE IT IS THE MOTORS FAULT. I MEAN YOU DON'T FEED YOUR DOG, CAT FOOD AND EXPECT HIM TO BARK NORMAL. ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-02-17          49412

366 hours is very little.
But I would think running straight gas in the motor could do some serious damage.
It could fire to soon causing detonation and damage the pistons and rings.
Could burn to hot and burn a hole in the piston domes etc.
I don't really know what running gas in a deisel motor could do,but I would assume its very BAD.
This sure does not sound like the tractors fault.
More like operater error. ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-02-17          49417

Justin,
The first thing I would do is drain the fuel tank, fuel lines and pump.
Refill the tank (with diesel fuel ),replace the fuel filter,bleed all the air from the lines and pump.
Then cross your fingers and see if it will run. ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-17          49427

As you said on the other post that it has 140 lb of compression then it is unlikely that it damaged a cylinder piston, although at this point I would not rule out a valve.
One of the main problems is the fuel pump and distribution system which are lubricated by the diesel fuel. The gas could hurt the pump or distributor. If the engine fired with the gas in the system the engine cold run away, some of the older 2 stokes would self distruct.
With this engine the other problem could be the injectors. With Gas in the system the injector seals could be affected.
As stated drain the system and purge out all the gas. It is difficult to get the injectors purged but once it is try and start. As to the compression until you remove the gas you really don't know what it is. ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
DH83

2003-02-17          49433

Justin,I bet this engine didn't run for very long on gas,
diesel engines won't run very well on straight gas if at
all,gas needs a spark plug to fire.Put some oil in each
cylinder might get some compression back,the unfired
gas could of washed the cylinders dry...good luck ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-18          49440

That was pretty quick diagnosis here and everybody noticed the same thing.

I noticed in my previous post that I said some people used gas during the winter. A better description is that some people mix gas with diesel to give the diesel anti-gel properties. It's still not such a good practice.

Even if it were run on straight gas, I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that the engine is toast just yet. I've heard stories where some diesel engines have surprising tolerance for gasoline. As Peters noted, relatively minor problems like seals in the fuel system may be the main problem. Even burnt valves wouldn't be a total disaster.

I would keep in mind that tractor parts are expensive and getting it going could end up costing a lot. Getting it going would of course add greatly to the market valve but fixing some things might cost more then the tractor is worth. That is to say the market valve minus repair costs may be less than the salvage value. How the tractor is described when putting it up for sale might make a lot of difference to offered prices, and I'm assuming that everybody offers true descriptions of a tractor's history.

Anyway, it would be good to do a decent job of estimating repair costs before leaping into major fixes. I imagine that repair costs would be netted out of the sale price, and in such things, it's easy enough to end up with a lot of time spent and less than half of nothing. You will need manuals to go much further with this job, which are immediate costs. You may be learning about such things in your course, and this might be very good experience aside for any money questions.

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-25          49969

Seen this done several times and I wouldn't worry to much. Just do as instructed and get it drained out and fill with the proper fuel. A diesel doesn't run any better on gas than a gas runs on diesel. I don't believe it was used to much with the mix. ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-02-25          49970

A diesel should run 300 lbs of compression at a minimum. 140 is a good reading on gas but won't do much for sparking off diesel. ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
randymc

2003-03-06          50660

See if you are getting fuel out of the injection lines.
I'm not sure on a kioti pump but some pumps (or engines)
have a necked down shaft on the pump drive that will sheer
in two if the pump is lacking lubrication (such as running with gas in fuel)or sprayed with water when running ....

MORE BAD MOTOR

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-06          50666

Sometime in the early 70's I worked part time in a gas station. We had a big snowstorm, so a local farmer with a brand new 4430 Deere and a front end loader was going around town plowing out drives, etc.. It was zero or below and his tractor started to jell up so he pulled up to the pump and told me to run 5 gal. of gas in his fuel tank. I tried to talk him out of the idea, but no go so I put the gas in, and to my surprise he never had any problems in the future. I still don't think it's a good Idea, and would'nt do it to my tractor, I try to run 50/50 #1, #2, in the loader tractor and haven't had any problems. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login