Go Bottom Go Bottom

Woods RC5 Bush Hog

View my Photos
6x4gator
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-26          195053

Broke the shear bolt on the clutch housing that connects to the gearbox on the Woods RC5 bush hog yesterday. The shear bolt actually melted coating both the gearbox shaft and inside of the clutch. Had to use angle grinder to get residual off gearbox shaft and mini grinder to clean inside of clutch housing to get it back on.

My question is what grade bolt should I use to replace the sheared off one? The service manager at the place I bought it said to use a grade 8 bolt. Google searches results are saying to use grade 2 bolt. I'm thinking a grade 8 bolt is going to stay intact causing other more expensive components to fail.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Woods RC5 Bush Hog

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-04-26          195055

Yes, shears are weak (likely Grade 2) because they are way cheaper and easier to replace than what a higher grade would cause to fail instead.

When installing, don't reef the nut to the point of elongating the bolt -- use locktite, a locknut, a lock washer, or a double nut. If it broke at the threads, use a different length or washers to move the weak spot out of the way.

But MELTED? Something else is going on.

Woods RC5 Bush Hog

View my Photos
6x4gator
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-26          195058

Okay, I said melted, may be it didn't actually melt but the motion of the driveshaft / gearbox ground the shear bolt and it coated the gearbox shaft with the residue as the shaft was coming off the shaft. Which Loctite, blue? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login