Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kioti DK35 Steering Problem

View my Photos
Kioti_Joe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-27          117020

My 1-year-old Kioti DK35 works fine when cold. But on a hot day after fully warmed up, the steering wheel can be turned very slowly without turning the front wheels. If the steering wheel is turned at a faster rate (like when turning corners), it works ok. The problem is noticed when driving straight and making very minor steering corrections in an attempt to keep the tractor going straight. Minor corrections do not do anything except turn the steering wheel. The front wheels do not change direction. It is necessary to turn the steering wheel faster in order to get the front wheels to turn. I can apply a slight pressure to the steering wheel and get it to turn a complete 360 degrees without moving the front wheels at all.
The dealer said that the steering seems normal to him. Since it is cooler in MI now, he wants me to wait until next summer and until the problem gets worse. There is still one more year under warrantee. The dealer thinks that the "O" rings might be leaking in the front hydraulic cylinders. I do not think so because there is only one port for oil to go in or out of the cylinder. If it were leaking, the oil would have to come out around the rod and would be seen. But there are no external leaks.
This problem does not make the tractor unsafe or unusable. It is just an annoyance to have to keep getting a new grip on the steering wheel as it turns, even though the tractor keeps going straight. Does anybody else have this same problem with their tractor? Any suggestions as to what might be the problem with mine? Thanks Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-27          117032

If I understand your problem correctly, what you are describing is an internal "O" ring seepage which allows the pressure to remain equal on both sides of the cylinder, I.e. not displacing the rod in either direction , with cooler temperatures the fluid has a greater viscosity thereby slowing the internal bypass leak and allowing some postive displacement! ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-09-27          117034

I agree with your dealer.
A leaking piston seal on the steering cylinders could cause that type problem in my opinion.
It is the first thing I would check. If oil is leaking past the piston seal you will not see it.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-27          117037

I don't know exactly how this system is set up. The input steering shaft could be slipping in the collar, but I suspect that the system is a full power system. The steering wheel then generates hydraulic pressure that then activates the valves to move the hydraulic cylinder. For some reason the activation valves pressure must be set too high. As the oil thins when warm the input can not provide enough pressure to activate the valves. One solution could be just to add a synthetic hydraulic oil which is less suseptable to thinning at temperature. The other fix would be to adjust the pressure needed to activate the valves. Not all system have an adjustment, but rely on pressure in the valve springs. In this case you would need to change out the springs. ....

Link:   Synthetic Oil

View my Photos
Kioti_Joe

2005-09-28          117054

The reason that I do not think the cylinders are leaking is because these are not normal hydraulic cylinders with two ports. These cylinders only have one port that the oil goes into and back out of. Oil is only on one side of the piston (rod). If the oil leaked, it would come out around the rod and be visible as an external leak. One cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn left and the other cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn right. A tie rod that connects the two wheels provides the force to make the rod go back into the cylinder that is not pushing.
I agree with you about the viscosity. Maybe the control valve is leaking. But I do not know anything about that or how it works. ....

View my Photos
Kioti_Joe

2005-09-28          117055

To DK35vince, thanks for your reply.
The reason that I do not think the cylinders are leaking is because these are not normal hydraulic cylinders with two ports. These cylinders only have one port that the oil goes into and back out of. Oil is only on one side of the piston (rod). If the oil leaked, it would come out around the rod and be visible as an external leak. One cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn left and the other cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn right. A tie rod that connects the two wheels provides the force to make the rod go back into the cylinder that is not pushing. I assume that you have a Kioti DK35 also. Take a look at those cylinders on your tractor and you will see what I mean. If these were normal cylinders, then only one would be needed because it could both push and pull. A normal cylinder has oil on both sides of the piston so that it can operate in both directions. These Kioti cylinders only have oil on one side of the piston and thus can only push, not pull. So they have to have two of them, one to push one way and one to push the other way. Have you ever noticed the probem I described when your tractor is hot?
Joe ....

View my Photos
Kioti_Joe

2005-09-28          117056

I think you are right. I wish that I knew more about the steering valves and how to adjust them. Thanks for the link to synthetic oil. I might have to use that if I can not fix the problem.
Joe ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-28          117062

I am not familiar with your particular set up but it has been my experience that most hyd. steering systems have a "steering or pilot valve" which more or less converts the circular motion of the steering wheel into a metered amount of hyd. fliud release one direction or another which in turn becomes linear motion to extend the steering cylinder. A partially obstructed or malfunctioning valve could cause these symptoms. More than likely it would have to be replaced rather than adjusted or cleaned as they are not normally meant to be disassembled. On the off and unlikely chance that perhaps there may be some contamination in this valve; have you tried working the steeering back and forth, "lock to lock" for several minutes to see if this condition improves? In my previous line of work, when a pilot valve went bad; it meant nearly always replacing it. I would suggest calling around to a number of other Kioti dealers and asking if they have come across this problem if your dealer is getting stumped. ....

View my Photos
Kioti_Joe

2005-09-28          117070

2ndHandLion,

Yes, I have tried turning the wheel all of the way left and right, lock to lock. Thanks for your suggestions. Calling other Kioti dealers is a good idea.

Joe ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-09-28          117089

Kioti Joe,
No I have never had a problem like that with the steering on my DK 35.
I have 665 hours on my 35. The only problem I have had with my tractor is the tachometer cable broke at around 500 hours. ....

View my Photos
Pierre Viau

2005-10-04          117345

I own a DK40 and I have a steering problem. I own a piece of land situated at 25 km from my home. I noticed, the first time I took the road, that the steering wheel revolved approximatively 10 times during those 25 km. I have to correct the steering wheel towards the left. Descending a hill with a right curve, I still have to correct towards the left. The day I a will have à loaded trailor pushing me, what will happen. That scare's me.

I had the Orbitrol changed a couple of time, the direction ajusted, the cylindres changed and still, I have to correct towards the left 1 full turn every 2 Km in order to go straight ahead.

I also heaurd that DK 35 in Québec have the same problem. ....

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-10-05          117417

You did not say how new your Kioti was.....

I have seen with the 2 new CK30s I bought that the hydraulic
fluid that comes with the tractor is on the low side and of
unknown brand. Furthermore, one of the machines experienced
a significant leak past one of the loader cyl seals when
the fluid got very hot. I suspect the original fluid is a
cheaper fluid that loses viscosity rapidly with higher temp.
I suggest replacing all the hyd fluid with a good tractor-hydraulic synthetic like Chevron THF 1000. ....

View my Photos
Kioti_Joe

2005-10-05          117427

To Pierre Viau,

I have the exact same problem with my DK35. I turn the steering wheel about 1 full turn to the left per straight mile traveled. The two front wheel cylinders can not be at fault because the oil can not possibly leak through the cylinder as there is only an inlet port, no outlet port. There is no place for the oil to leak to except past the piston to the atmosphere. You would see any cylinder leaks. Read my earlier post. If you changed the Orbitrol twice, then either they are all bad or else something else is wrong like the oil or some other active hydraulic part if there is one.

I agree with dfkrug. I think that Kioti tries to save money by using cheap oil and filling to minimum levels. The gear oil on the front axle of my DK35 (with 85 hours) was low. I am thinking about replacing the hydraulic oil on my DK35.

Does anyone know what the hydraulic oil capacity of the tractor plus front end loader is?

Joe

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-10-05          117431

My last tranmission oil change,(DK 35) took around 11 gallon.I do not drain the fluid in the loader. ....

View my Photos
Kioti_Joe

2005-10-05          117444

Thanks DK35vince, do the transmission and hydraulic system share the same oil? If so, that explains why I could not find the hydraulic oil capacity in the owner's manual. I thought Kioti neglected that detail.

Joe ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-10-05          117449

Yes, same oil. So its best to run a tractor hydraulic/transmission oil vs regular hydraulic oil..

View my Photos
DIRTBALL

2005-10-06          117486

My dk 35 came with low fluid ,would not even show on the dip stick.I also think its probably a cheap fluid as well.Up grading my fluid has helped fix problems I had. ....

View my Photos
hurliman

2006-11-28          137414

DK35 power steering cylinders are non rebuildable. Look at them and you will see they are welded together. Make every effort to get them replaced as soon as possible, as Kioti management is doing some very strange things lately. Get the warranty while you can. ....

View my Photos
dnsmithnc

2007-03-05          140201

Looking to buy a used Kioti. What are the strange things that you are speaking of? Thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login