Kioti DK35 Steering Problem: Kioti Tractor  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Kioti DK35 Steering Problem: Kioti Tractor -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kioti Tractor Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-27-2005, 15:17 Post: 117020
Kioti_Joe

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Kioti DK35 Steering Problem

My 1-year-old Kioti DK35 works fine when cold. But on a hot day after fully warmed up, the steering wheel can be turned very slowly without turning the front wheels. If the steering wheel is turned at a faster rate (like when turning corners), it works ok. The problem is noticed when driving straight and making very minor steering corrections in an attempt to keep the tractor going straight. Minor corrections do not do anything except turn the steering wheel. The front wheels do not change direction. It is necessary to turn the steering wheel faster in order to get the front wheels to turn. I can apply a slight pressure to the steering wheel and get it to turn a complete 360 degrees without moving the front wheels at all.
The dealer said that the steering seems normal to him. Since it is cooler in MI now, he wants me to wait until next summer and until the problem gets worse. There is still one more year under warrantee. The dealer thinks that the "O" rings might be leaking in the front hydraulic cylinders. I do not think so because there is only one port for oil to go in or out of the cylinder. If it were leaking, the oil would have to come out around the rod and would be seen. But there are no external leaks.
This problem does not make the tractor unsafe or unusable. It is just an annoyance to have to keep getting a new grip on the steering wheel as it turns, even though the tractor keeps going straight. Does anybody else have this same problem with their tractor? Any suggestions as to what might be the problem with mine? Thanks Joe

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

09-27-2005, 21:07 Post: 117032
Archdean

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

If I understand your problem correctly, what you are describing is an internal "O" ring seepage which allows the pressure to remain equal on both sides of the cylinder, I.e. not displacing the rod in either direction , with cooler temperatures the fluid has a greater viscosity thereby slowing the internal bypass leak and allowing some postive displacement!

09-27-2005, 21:40 Post: 117034
DK35vince

Filter by User

I agree with your dealer.
A leaking piston seal on the steering cylinders could cause that type problem in my opinion.
It is the first thing I would check. If oil is leaking past the piston seal you will not see it.

09-27-2005, 21:55 Post: 117037
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I don't know exactly how this system is set up. The input steering shaft could be slipping in the collar, but I suspect that the system is a full power system. The steering wheel then generates hydraulic pressure that then activates the valves to move the hydraulic cylinder. For some reason the activation valves pressure must be set too high. As the oil thins when warm the input can not provide enough pressure to activate the valves. One solution could be just to add a synthetic hydraulic oil which is less suseptable to thinning at temperature. The other fix would be to adjust the pressure needed to activate the valves. Not all system have an adjustment, but rely on pressure in the valve springs. In this case you would need to change out the springs.

Link:   Synthetic Oil 

09-28-2005, 07:29 Post: 117054
Kioti_Joe

Filter by User

The reason that I do not think the cylinders are leaking is because these are not normal hydraulic cylinders with two ports. These cylinders only have one port that the oil goes into and back out of. Oil is only on one side of the piston (rod). If the oil leaked, it would come out around the rod and be visible as an external leak. One cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn left and the other cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn right. A tie rod that connects the two wheels provides the force to make the rod go back into the cylinder that is not pushing.
I agree with you about the viscosity. Maybe the control valve is leaking. But I do not know anything about that or how it works.

09-28-2005, 07:40 Post: 117055
Kioti_Joe

Filter by User

To DK35vince, thanks for your reply.
The reason that I do not think the cylinders are leaking is because these are not normal hydraulic cylinders with two ports. These cylinders only have one port that the oil goes into and back out of. Oil is only on one side of the piston (rod). If the oil leaked, it would come out around the rod and be visible as an external leak. One cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn left and the other cylinder pushes and causes the tractor to turn right. A tie rod that connects the two wheels provides the force to make the rod go back into the cylinder that is not pushing. I assume that you have a Kioti DK35 also. Take a look at those cylinders on your tractor and you will see what I mean. If these were normal cylinders, then only one would be needed because it could both push and pull. A normal cylinder has oil on both sides of the piston so that it can operate in both directions. These Kioti cylinders only have oil on one side of the piston and thus can only push, not pull. So they have to have two of them, one to push one way and one to push the other way. Have you ever noticed the probem I described when your tractor is hot?
Joe

09-28-2005, 07:47 Post: 117056
Kioti_Joe

Filter by User

I think you are right. I wish that I knew more about the steering valves and how to adjust them. Thanks for the link to synthetic oil. I might have to use that if I can not fix the problem.
Joe

09-28-2005, 08:36 Post: 117062
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I am not familiar with your particular set up but it has been my experience that most hyd. steering systems have a "steering or pilot valve" which more or less converts the circular motion of the steering wheel into a metered amount of hyd. fliud release one direction or another which in turn becomes linear motion to extend the steering cylinder. A partially obstructed or malfunctioning valve could cause these symptoms. More than likely it would have to be replaced rather than adjusted or cleaned as they are not normally meant to be disassembled. On the off and unlikely chance that perhaps there may be some contamination in this valve; have you tried working the steeering back and forth, "lock to lock" for several minutes to see if this condition improves? In my previous line of work, when a pilot valve went bad; it meant nearly always replacing it. I would suggest calling around to a number of other Kioti dealers and asking if they have come across this problem if your dealer is getting stumped.

09-28-2005, 09:23 Post: 117070
Kioti_Joe

Filter by User

2ndHandLion,

Yes, I have tried turning the wheel all of the way left and right, lock to lock. Thanks for your suggestions. Calling other Kioti dealers is a good idea.

Joe

09-28-2005, 16:44 Post: 117089
DK35vince

Filter by User

Kioti Joe,
No I have never had a problem like that with the steering on my DK 35.
I have 665 hours on my 35. The only problem I have had with my tractor is the tachometer cable broke at around 500 hours.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Kioti Tractor Forum

Thread 117020 Filter by Poster:
Archdean 1 | Chief 1 | dfkrug 1 | DIRTBALL 1 | DK35vince 4 | dnsmithnc 1 | hurliman 1 | Kioti_Joe 7 | Peters 1 | Pierre Viau 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Kioti Problems - comparisons to JD, Kubota, NH
+ Kioti tractor prices
+ Kioti LK 3054 - Opinions Please
+ Old dude, loves new Kioti DK40 tractor
+ Price on Kioti CK25 or CK30
+ Kioti DK40 Review -- 95 Hours and no problems !
+ Which Tractor JD 3320 MF 1540 Kubota L4400 NH TC40
+ CK20 HST vs Kubota 7500
+ KIOTI OWNERS
+ fan blades

Most Discussion

+ Kioti DK40 Review -- 95 Hours
+ Kioti Problems - comparisons t
+ Which Tractor JD 3320 MF 1540
+ Parts and Service
+ Classified Ad Policy
+ Old dude, loves new Kioti DK40
+ KIOTI OWNERS