Go Bottom Go Bottom

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
DirtRod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-02          99719

Our 2002 model 4210 with 85 hours grinds at every gear change, does anyone have a fix, our is this a common problem as the dealer suggests. The clutch seems to not be fully disengaging, when pushing in the clutch on a small hill the tractor does not roll backwards until you take it out of gear. This was all recently inspected by the dealer.
Also, where can I purchase a repair manual for this tractor?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-02          99725

The symptoms you outline are suggestive of the clutch being stuck to the pressure plate. You need to have a look in the clutch housing to see what the problem is. It could be caused by a number of things. It is normal however for there to be some grinding if you attempt to shift too soon after depressing the clutch. The gears need a few seconds to slow down on most gear shift tractors. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-03          99760

Isn't that tractor under warrantee? You do have a definite problem that will not cure itself. Adjusting might help but why with only the low hours.. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
DirtRod

2004-11-03          99763

Yes the tractor has low hours but it is a 2002 model. I bought it from the original owner and the problem was noted at the time of purchase but was told it would break-in with use. He had used it little because of the grinding and had other equipment he could use and no time to return the 4210 to the dealer which is over 100 miles away.
When he did finally return it to the dealer he was charged nearly $800 and told it was “normal”. He was not a happy man and sold the tractor.
I did a little "re-adjusting" of the clutch linkage and it seems better, I need to grade the driveway so I'll find out today if it's really better or "fixed" I was hesitant to assume I knew better how to re-adjust something the dealer just got paid big bucks to “fix”.

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
MWilliams@sumitomoel

2004-11-03          99766

Is this tractor a synchro transmission or the collarshift? The collar shift transmissions are not synchronized and will have scrap if you try to shift them to soon after depressing the clutch. I have a 1999 4200 that has the problem with scraping if i shift too quick. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-03          99800

I'm only guessing on this one, but I'd assume there is a pilot bearing in the flywheel for the front of the clutch shaft, I've heard of them going bad and causing the same effect. Long time ago in farm tractors the rage of the age was the six armed clutch disc with the little metalic spots that replaced the common fibre clutch disc. Seemed like some of them had problems with the little metalic discs becoming magnetized somehow, again same effect. Just another thought. Frank. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
DirtRod

2004-11-04          99819

Yes the tractor is a Colarshift model. It has set running in neutral for a number of minuets at times and still would grind when trying to put it in gear, to the point where I shut the engine off and let everything stop spinning then restarted and shifted into gear. My adjustment of the linkage seemed to help at first but then it was back to its old ways. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-11-04          99820

"It has set running in neutral for a number of minuets at times and still would grind when trying to put it in gear"

The gearbox will still be turning, even in neutral if the clutch is out(engaged). It sounds as though you do not have a syncromesh transmission. The important question is then, does the grinding stop if you hold the clutch in for a few seconds before you try to shift it into gear? If it does, it's making noise just because it's a non synchro tranny. If it continues to grind after holding the clutch in for a long time, then the clutch is hanging up. This then will require a fair amount of work if it's not just a linkage problem.

It would be interesting to know just what the dealer did for $800.
Dave ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
MWilliams@sumitomoel

2004-11-04          99824

These tractors have a wet clutch, and the synchro transmission would not scrape when going in gear if the gears were still turning slowly, but the collar shift with the wet clutch could be still turning slowly due to the hyd. fluid moving it. Mine is a 99 model collar shift and it is worse when it is cold than it is when it is hot. It is something that you will probably have to live with or trade it. They are pretty tough transmissions. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
DirtRod

2004-11-09          100106

Dave
Here is what was stated on the work order.
One Hydraulic filter $23.95
Hydraulic Hy Guard Low viscosity $82.60
Labor 8.5hrs $595.00
Misc. Supplies $25.00
Total $762.55

The labor include a clutch linkage adjustment --- and that’s all you get for $762.55

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
MWilliams@sumitomoel

2004-11-09          100109

It sounds like your dealer just ripped you off. I just changed the hy-guard oil and filter and also cleaned the strainer in less than 1 and a half hours when my lift started lifting slow. I dont know what they did for 8.5 hours. Adjusting the clutch linkage takes only a few minutes. My total bill for 7 gallons of hy-guard and filter was only about $95. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
DirtRod

2004-11-09          100110

Luckily for me it was the original owner that got stuck with what I consider an unreasonable bill. Through more testing I’ve confirmed my suspicions that the clutch is not fully disengaging. I plan to purchase the service manuals next time we travel to where a dealer (different dealer) is located, then I’ll see where I go from there.
Thanks to all for your input.

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-11-10          100181

This is only a guess, but I assume that for 8.5 hours, the dealer probably split the tractor and reshimmed the clutch pack. Also apparently changed transmission oil and filter.
The charge wouldn't be out of line for splitting the tractor, but I would think that the warranty should have covered it if the problem was noted from the beginning. The warranty is two years and depending on when it was purchased in 2002, it could still be in warranty. All that said, the collar shift tranny is prone to gear clash due to the drag of oil on the clutch plates. The reason it does not drift when the clutch is pushed in is there is a transmission brake that engages when the clutch is pushed down. The shim adjustment on the clutch pack and brake assembly is very touchy to get acceptable operation. Good luck. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
DirtRod

2004-11-11          100200

Jdgreen
The tractor was not split, that was given as the next option if the owner wanted to pursue it. With the clutch depressed and sitting on a small hill the tractor did not roll back, with the clutch still depressed I put the transmission into neutral, this took some force, when it popped out of gear it rolled backwards. This is all while the clutch was still depressed fully. Even the peddle stop had been removed to assure full travel. It looks like it’s time to split the cases and set it up correctly, you can bet I’ll find a different dealer to do the work.

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-11-11          100247

WOW! 8.5 hours for external adjustments and oil change is excessive! Unless he was charged 6 hours pick up and delivery. Ask around if you can, to find out which dealer other people trust. Good Luck! ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
bleedgreen

2004-11-12          100274

Ive had the same problem with my JD 790. I think its something in the clutch. ....

4210 Gear Grinding

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-28          101191

It almost sounds to me like they never dhecked the hyro fluid after they started it ounce. The filter will occupy 1 full quart. It almost sounds to me like your a quart low. Mine was doing the same thing & a quart of hy guard fixed it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login