Go Bottom Go Bottom

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
BigPower
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-28          99400

Hey guys. I have a new 4410 with 430 loader. The loader seems to be "jerky" when raising the arms. The issue seems to go away after the first 15 minutes of use? The steering also seems to have resistance points when turning the wheel during the first 15 minutes of operation. The "problem" goes away after the tractor has been operating for a while. The steering gives a notchy feedback about four times during a full turn. This occurs in both 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive on grass and dirt not just hard surfaces? Any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-28          99402

The steering I'm not sure about, it is likely something evident because of the 'newness factor'.

The FEL is likely caused by cavitation, the symptoms are classic. The loader is either dumping or lowering faster because of the load on it than the pump, probably at low speeds, can refill the other side of the cylinder. This causes air to 'burp' up through the fluid and get trapped in the cylinders. Since air is compressible, and fluid is not, when you try to lift the FEL the air compresses and when the air pressure reaches a certain point the cylinder jumps ahead then stops while pressure builds again.

Two solutions, either keep the rev's up, or put a 'line throttle valve' on the affected circuit. This will slow the decent down to prevent cavitation from occurring.

Best of luck. ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-28          99403

How many hours are on this machine? ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
BigPower

2004-10-28          99405

20 hours on the machine now. Had 3 when I got it about a month ago.

The loader "bounces" when raising the arms. If the bucket is empty and the RPM's are around 1K the arms raise without jerking. When the throttle is set to 1.5K or 2.5K scooping up material (dirt, mulch, etc) the bouncing starts on the lift. The loader still raises the wheels off the ground when pushing down. The jerking is on the lift. ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-28          99407

The loader jerkiness like Murf has said sounds like a cavitation problem. That is normal and usually goes away from use. If your steering feels hard at times it sounds to me that your fluid viscosity is thicker than it is supposed to be which could result in both problems(i.e. the systems oil flow can't keep up with the requirement). I don't have a Deere but when my hydraulic fluid filter plugs or implodes it gives the same reactions. I always replace it with a brand specific filter.

So, make sure you have the correct fluid, filter and that there are no kinks or restrictions in the fluid lines. ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-28          99440

My 430 behaved as you stated when new. I just learned to develop a much more gentle touch on the up circuit. I also worked the loader boom arms up and down repeatedly at about 2000 rpm for an extended period a few times which seemed to help make the system not as sensitive but it is still somewhat touchy if you make large up boom inputs. Just have to adjust to it. ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
harvey

2004-10-30          99506

With the jerky-ness going away after 15-20 minutes of use I would tend to lean toward the oil viscoity. I would not rule out a kinked line, bogus filter or the inline strainer.

Another possible area is the loader hyd couplers one of those could be defective.

Do you park it with the bucket lowered? If not as it settles it could pull air into the system and it has to purge it each time. ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-10-30          99531

Another possibility to consider is a leak on the suction line between the pump and sump screen. When the oil is thicker the problem is more pronounced until the oil warms up. I would check all the hose clamps on the suction side of the pump. Has this problem been there since the beginning or has it recently appeared? I have seen some of these suction lines get damaged when running in rough terrain or over alot of debris. If you haven't done it yet, I would change the hydraulic filter also. There has been some history of some contamination left in the transmission housings from the factory. Actually if the tractor is still in warranty, the dealer should get this straightened out for you. Good Luck! ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-01          99653

As suggested by others here I'd be tightening lines. I believe you have an air leak that is causing the problem. As it gets worse you might have an oil leak to tell you where the air is coming in. After operating it for a few minutes you have purged the air out. ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
BigPower

2004-11-29          101265

Well guys, the 4410 with only 24 hours on it was picked up by the dealer today for diagnosis and repair. The steering has gotten worse and the loader has gotten weaker. When I explained the symptoms to my salesman he immediately said "we are going to need to bring it in." It was picked up this morning, I'll post the outcome when I hear something.

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-11-29          101275

yes please keep us updated ....

430 Loader is Jerky

View my Photos
BigPower

2004-12-17          102428

Got the 4410 back today. Fluid viscosity was the problem. The dealer said one of the caps had stripped threads(according to them from the factory)and water had leaked into the fluid. They flushed the system and replaced the cap. Everything is very smooth now. Thanks for everyones input. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login