Go Bottom Go Bottom

Folding rop

View my Photos
Cracker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-11          98115

When I bought the tractor a JD4400 it fit into the garage fine but now will be moving and the garage opening is too short. The dealer wants $650 for a folding rop I was just trying to get ideas if anyone has had a similar problem. I'm located in Kansas City.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Folding rop

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-11          98119

Yes, It's why I built a new barn for the tractor.
Dean ....

Link:   New addition for my Tractor

Folding rop

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-11          98125

Cracker, if you are a good welder or you know a good one; you can cut the ROPS and weld slightly smaller square stock to the cut off portion and slide this part of the ROPS back into the portion still attached to the tractor. You can then drill a hole in each side for a pin or bolt. Bear in mind that at best you may be able to retain the original strenght of the ROPS but more likely possibly weaken it some. A good welder should be able to reinforce the effected areas of the ROPS enough to be as good as new. This is not the best option but much less than a new folding ROPS. ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-10-11          98136

Chief,
Won't this void his warrenty if he has any left or at the very least it would absolve all libility from John Deere let alone could impact his life and or liabilty insurence (It's an OSHA thing) whether we like it or not!
Correct me if I'm wrong!
Dean ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-11          98138

Dean,

Deere tractors are warrantied for 2 years. He has no warranty left. Of course if you modify a safety device such as a ROPS you absolve all libility from John Deere. He will have to check with his insurer to find out the particulars as to what is effected in his insurance. I pointed out that this is not the best option. He asked for an alternate course of action and I gave one. It goes without saying when you modify something you take responsibility for it. In this case, as long as he is the user of the tractor it is his decision. If he chooses to sell it; he must make the new owner aware of and accept responsibility for this modification. If he does not wish to modify the ROPS and the baggage that comes along with it; he can pay $650 for a folding ROPS.

Do you have to end every sentence with a !!!! ????????? ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-11          98140

Dean, come to think of it, Cracker would be accepting the exact same liability and responsibility for modifying the ROPS that you do for that nice looking building your built for your Kubota. ;O) ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-10-11          98141

"Do you have to end every sentence with a !!!! ?????????"

No Sir, I don't have to do that it's an old habit from teaching at many service schools and giving aviation flight seminars to FAA applicants while using blackboards or on easel sheets.

I must say most enjoyed and learned from my presentations for the content as well as the energy /style in presentation.
You are the first person who has expressed an objection to that personal practice of mine.

I'll try to accomadate your objection in the future without overdoing the punctuation.

Dean

Folding rop

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-10-11          98143

Oh Boy, A building on my private property does not fall under the guise of a federally mandated safety device nor during normal operation is it subject to roll over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dean ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-11          98144

The !!!!!! comes across like typing all Captial letters. Like yelling or you are angry. ;O) No biggie, I thought maybe you were upset with me about something in the post. ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2004-10-11          98145

I took the ROPS off my 2210! I had the same problem, transporting, going under the gates and fences that I have to navigate etc.. Needless to say, I don't wear my seat-belt either! This may not be the best solution, specially if you are mowing the ditch with the the FEL raised all the way up! Having fun with!!! ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-10-12          98163

Since I took the header out of the door of my shed and put in an 8' door I haven't had to fold the ROPs down at all. Before this I used to run around with it folded all the time if I needed to use the tractor for only a short time.

I would suggest a taller door if it's possible. If the door is on the gable end of the building you can easily make a bigger opening. If it's on the eave side there may be a big header above the door that's already as high as it can go, especially with 8' walls.
Dave ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
rogermo

2004-10-12          98217

Buy the rops, I took out my garage door one day when I forgot to watch out for the height. Of course I had folding rops to begain with, so what the ))(*. My fault. I love the rops now that I put a big sign up on the header of my garage ( are your rops down) I figure a sign up over head for a year should get me in to the habbit of lowing them.
Life is fun;
Roger ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-10-12          98225

just a dumb question for chief, i was looking at your trailoring hitch / reciever on your tractor pix i noticed the 2x2 tubing coming up at an angle was there a reason for that being there? strenth? was this home made or bought it looks rather handy too have. anyway just curious i'm brand new here and i must say enjoying the info sharing. its helping me make the choice of which tractor is for me. thnx
David in va ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-12          98227

daveknowshow,

Not a dumb question at all. That angled piece of tubing is the receptacle for a cherry picker type hoist. It is handy for picking stuff up and moving things around. The hitch is a home made hitch my friend Jim made for me. He is a VERY good welder and is always welding or fabricating something. Jim told me he estimated that it could probably hold between 400 - 500 lbs. max. I don't think I would put more than 400lbs. on it although we easily picked up his Yanmar pto tiller with it that I would guess easily weighs at least 350 lbs. ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Cracker

2004-10-12          98233

Thanks I guess dad the welder will have to come over and fix it again. ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-10-13          98236

Archdean..your project looks super!!!!!!??????

I just wondered how you get 4 people off a 1000' lake with a 170B on floats????!!!!!

I had a '58 180 on Edo 2870's that I figured 2 folks and gear with full (58g) fuel was a load for my sea level 3000' lake on a 60f day. Long floats and had to roll one off before pitching her up with a snatch of flaps.

Had a 170B on wheels/skiis for 5 years. Had a STOL kit and a Borer 80/41 prop. Did wonderfully. Just had to watch the weights leaving.

Gotta run. Doing my CFI renewal on line.

Mike

P.S.: I'm from Tulsa originally and have been to Grove quail hunting. I've fished for small mouthed bass on Spavinaw and Grand Lake. You have enough lake for hauling out a load. ....

Folding rop

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-10-13          98264

Thanks Mike, (see New addition for my New Tractor) this site

I never carried 4 people in the "B" removed back seat and used a 40 pitch prop.

Grand Lake in OK. is approx 60 miles long noooo problem!!

PS. I used to live in ER AK. and kept the "B" at the lower Fire lake! Small world isn't it? PM or email me and I'll give you the details. Say Hi to my daughter who lives just around the corner from you in Chugiak...and in addition I remember you from when I owned Vally Home Center in ER
Great to see your pics in your profile and nice to see you enjoying your self, don't miss moving snow with my Bobcat though!!!
Dean

Link:   New addition for my Tractor

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login