Go Bottom Go Bottom

R1 vs R4 on a JD 790

View my Photos
Brian Alink
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-10          9580

I just purchased a JD 790 and have been using it now for a couple weeks. All my dealer had in stock was turf tires and he agreed to change to R1's as soon as some came in. No R1's will be available for quite some time but he just called and has a set of R4's. I will be doing lots of field mowing, grading and some front end loader work. Is it worth waiting for R1's or should I take the R4's now?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R1 vs R4 on a JD 790

View my Photos
Steve

1999-11-10          9582

R1 tires are good in wet/muddy situations or when working in previously tilled soil. They are narrower with deeper cleats which allows the tractor to "sink" into the soil for a better bite. If you do not expect to be working in these conditions, I would go with the R4. They will not damage turf as badly as R1 tires. R4 tires are wider and provide better float, so they are less likely to create ruts in in soft or damp soils like R1 tires will. Also, the wider R4 tires will give a better/more stable ride than the R1 tires when it comes to side-to-side motion. R4 tires are perfect for grading, field mowing, and loader work. I just ordered a JD 4300 with R4 tires for the same type of work that you describe. ....

R1 vs R4 on a JD 790

View my Photos
Craig

1999-11-10          9587

I have a 4100 with loader and got the R4's with it. The only traction problems have to do with the weight of the tractor and not the ability of the tire to grab dirt. I have been through a winter and a summer with them and like them! I know that the R1's would leave too many marks in my yard, and suspect(I cannot say for sure) that the turfs would not have the traction I want outside of the lawn. I think the R4's are a good comprimise! ....

R1 vs R4 on a JD 790

View my Photos
dana

1999-11-10          9590

I have a 755, with turfs & the front worne out so I got r-1 for the front the same size as the turfs was. with turfs on the back (as long as I stay out of the mud they do great)When I plow or field or loader work the r-1s on the front do alot better job than the old ones did. When mowing I have not noticed any scuffing no matter how tight I turn, but keep in mind I don't need 4WD to mow grass! I got a set of firestone's with a 23 degree tread, it's not as sever of angle as normal r-1s. I might be CRAZY be it works for me!Dana ....

R1 vs R4 on a JD 790

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-11-10          9593

On another thread we we discussing side slope stability and the concensus was that turf tires were more stable than the lug type on side hills. I wonder if this would apply to the R4 as well? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login