Extremely disappointed in Deere: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review Extremely disappointed in Deere: John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 08-31-2004, 16:35 Post: 95121
DennoAce

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Extremely disappointed in Deere

My new 4110gear with 23.9 hours has leaks in BOTH rear axle casings. Bolts are tight. Yeah I can easily rip apart and re-seal, but why should I have to? My recently sold Satoh (Mitsubishi) Beaver with over 1500 hours had only one small leak in a rear X and that is expected since the machine was 20+ years old! Did I mention I haven't even done her first oil change yet? I have been around heavy equipment all my life and am currently a mechanic on similar machinery...this is not typical.

It seems from everything Ive seen that JD is going down, and Kubota is the king of compacts, others are coming up fast. I recently got a catalog in the mail for JD merchandise...tools,gloves, etc.....I think Deere should get back to it's roots and concentrate on making sure their machinery is built right (yes of course the small stuff has to be made overseas to compete I know), not in licensing the Deere name to forks, mugs and toys - or they will be history before we know it.

Maybe I'll trade it in now for a new Kubota...I bet she won't leak before it's even broken in!!!!!!

ps I love my tractor overall so far, but what can I expect in a couple thousand hours if this is where I am at already?

So Sad

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

08-31-2004, 16:51 Post: 95122
bmlekki

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Well it's new and its better to get the minor bugs out of the way while it still under warrantee.

If you traded to Kubota what says that will be any different? I'm not bashing Kubota at all but itís just a fluke thing, happens to the best of them...

The seal could be missing torn etc. The bolts havenít been over tightened have they??

Call your dealer.
Good Luck

08-31-2004, 17:29 Post: 95126
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

That's a bummer. It happens to all brands from time to time though. Yes, it's a hassle, but are a couple of leaks that should be fixed under warranty really such a big deal? Every 4-wheeled motorized product I've ever bought had to have something fixed under warranty. Even our Toyota was a troubled garage queen.

I have a different take on the toys/mugs/branded gear. I think it's a GREAT marketing concept for any company to establish brand loyalty at a young age. It's not like JD develops the toys, they just license the name and approve the end products. I would guess that their branded merchandise has zero effect on the quality (or absence thereof) of their tractors.

08-31-2004, 18:06 Post: 95129
bigpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

It's gut wrenching, but give your dealer a chance to make it right. Kubotas, New Hollands, and Satohs leak, too. Any more I think it's more important how a company takes care of its product versus whether it's perfect at the time of delivery.

08-31-2004, 18:25 Post: 95132
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

The first question is, did you even contact your dealer?

08-31-2004, 19:02 Post: 95144
DennoAce

Filter by User

Well, thanks all for the words. I know it's not the end of the world but it is the point and I had to vent. I have no problem with JD using it's name to market items to help the bottom line, but you must see my point that it all started with (well-built) tractors, and it seems sad to me that this good name is being over-used on all kinds of junk as have many other good names and it will all come to a bad end, trust me. In my area (Maine), all I hear is ads for Kubota, Kioti and NH and Deere seems to be losing the battle. I don't want this to happen. JD needs to wake up or it will be too late...I know of what I speak.

Being involved mechanically in many different machines from forklifts to golf course machines up to everything including excavators way bigger than Deere even makes, I have a small clue what is to be expected and yes... I know **it happens and that is fine but it just isn't right.

No I haven't called my dealer yet and....again....they didn't MAKE the machine and even if they fixed it (which I am perfectly capable of doing, and probably with less hassles overall and about $4 worth of permatex)...the point once again is that I shouldn't have to go through the BS after spending $12k on a tractor that I thought was more money spent on a better-built machine?

Just to make things more positive, I still love my 4110 in every other way...just not as happy as I once was and again, I am leary of what the next 1000 hours will bring, based on the first (!!!) 25!!!

08-31-2004, 19:28 Post: 95148
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I will tell you this. No matter how good you are with a wrench if you do a repair like that you will VOID your warranty. The only thing you should touch with a wrench are loose bolts and the oil drain plug on your engine. I am sure your dealer will be more than happy to do the repairs at the most convenient time to you. But of course you do not know that since you have not even contacted them. I mean s--t happens. Call them tell them what is going on and I am 99.9% sure they will make it right in the best and professional way possible. Yeah it is not the dealers fault but there is a saying that most go by."WE service what we sell"

08-31-2004, 19:50 Post: 95157
StoneGate

I can't figure out why you haven't called your dealer. My JD dealer would have been out within the hour to pick it up and fix it on my schedule. The service I have received has been excellent. I have a 4410 with about 45 hrs and I mean tough hours bush hoggin', ripping out tree roots, chipping and shredding, box bladin' and so forth. Not a flaw I can see. When I call in a couple weeks for the 50 hr service I'll bet their first question will be: When will it be convenient for us to pick it up? I am amazed at the Deere bashers on this board. I have had three deeres now and never had a problem that wasn't addresses the way it should have been. It's not a perfect world. If I live long enough to log 1500 hrs on this Deere, I'll bet it'll be running like the day I bought it.

08-31-2004, 20:07 Post: 95163
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Well.........you had your chance to blow off some steam and get your frustrations out............feel better? Better to do that here then at your dealer. Call you dealer tomorrow and explain what your issues are. Make a list of any other problems or peeves and let them fix it all at once. Nothing is perfect not even a Deere. I have had to fix a few things but worked it out with the dealer and they supported me like I was family. At least give them the opportunity to make it right.

08-31-2004, 21:19 Post: 95188
bigpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Why would you spend $12K+ on a tractor and NOT insist they make it right? Don't hurt your own cause. Regards. Pete

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 95121 Filter by Poster:
bigpete 7 | bmlekki 1 | Chief 2 | Cteam1 2 | DennoAce 8 | DRankin 2 | Ducati996 1 | grassgod 2 | kwschumm 5 | Murf 1 | oneace 5 | StoneGate 1 | TNCHRIS 1 |

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing???
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105???
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won't start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor
+ Oil Change for Diesel Tractor

Most Discussion

+ John Deere 4300 scuffing......
+ Possible Solution To The 4000
+ Dealer out to lunch
+ Just got my new JD 4410 - Prob