Go Bottom Go Bottom

855 AND 3 POINT POST HOLE DIGGER

View my Photos
alan6271
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-25          94418

Hello,
I am pretty new to this big tractor stuff and I have a question about the 3 point hitch on my 855. When I hook up my post hole digger the top always leans to the side so it's not digging a straight hole. I know that on each of the bottom bars there is a chain and the one on the right side has a bolt that is stripped and the nut is right at the end of the bolt. These chains run from the tractor right up to the bar on the same side. I am going to pick up a new chain assembly later today but I don't know if that's going to fix the problem. Can anyone offer some advice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-25          94420

Snug sway chains are essential to holding the PHD in position. Replacign the stripped bolt, I would think should eleviate this problem. You may want to pull the tractor backward slightly for a few inches after positoning the PHD so it will dig the hole straight as it dig deeper and not angle backwards in the hole. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-25          94421

Another part of the problem is the 3pth mechanism itself, there is nothing but gravity holding the arms down. When you lower the PHD it is tippy because of it's height compared to the narrow point on which it stands, this causes it to lean over and lift one arm up, making it lean over even more still.

The solution is to not move the 3pth control lever to the full down position, instead just lower it until just past the point where the tip contacts the ground, at this point almost all of the weight is still on the 3pth and the auger should still be hanging straight down. With the PTO engaged slowly lower the auger as it digs.

As Chief mentioned, if you reverse slightly after you start the hole it will help keep the hole vertical also.

BTW, a PHD is one of the few PTO-driven implements that are designed to run at less than the standard 540rpm, in fact the seem to work best at just a high idle, about 1200rpm or so.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
alan6271

2004-08-25          94428

You guys are incredible. Thanks so much for the information. So the leaning is somewhat normal and some of this will be fixed when I get the new bolt assembly. Good advice on backing the tractor up when I initially make the hole. I was wondering why they always come out at an angle. This has helped.

Thanks again.

Alan ....

View my Photos
Hettric

2004-08-25          94525

Alan,
Can you tell me what PHD you have and how deep it will dig?
(+ auger lenth) I have a JD 755 and am considering a PHD.
Thanks ....

View my Photos
alan6271

2004-08-25          94546

Hi Hettric,

I bought it at Tractor Supply Company. The brand name I believe is Worksaver. It works pretty well. It will dig up to 48" and will take a 6", 9", and 12" auger that change by just removing two bolts. What I don't like about it is that it comes with this metal bar that you are supposed to use to level the auger over where your digging but when you dig, the bar hits the one of the U shaped beams on the post hole digger and bends so I just took it off. Other than that, it is made very well and it seems to be quite heavy duty. I paid about $ 550 roughly for the whole thing.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login