Go Bottom Go Bottom

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
dlgcustom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-13          93481

Which one, JD or aftermarket bush hog? Also any one run a 5' hog on the 4110?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-14          93512

I think a 5' rotary cutter will be too much for a 4110. I believe Deere recommends a 4' cutter max. and that is a light duty cutter. Deere makes a very good albeit expensive rotary cutter. You can get a good cutter for much less but you should consider a few things that roll up into the total cost first. The rotary cutters that you can buy at TSC, Coop, Rural King, etc. are bare bones cutters in most cases (meaning no front or rear chain guard, no slip clutch, and most have the steel webbing structural support welded on top of the cutter). Bare bones is not necessarily a bad thing but personally I would NEVER use a rotary cutter without at least the front and rear chain guard. There is just too much danger of being hit or hitting someone or something with flying debry. This can add $200 - $300. Most bargain price cutters come with a shear bolt drive line protection which will get the job done but can be a real PIA in heavy use especially the first time clearing a new area. Better have your wrenchs and a pocket full of shear bolts stored on the tractor. A slip clutch will momentarily slip to absorb blade impacts and is MUCH easier on the drive line, not to mention that it requires no reset or replacement after a slip event. They can fail and have their own problems if abused but in my opinion are the best drive line protection to use. A slip clutch can add another $200 or more. Here is where things even out to a degree. The Deere rotary cutters as well as some others come standard with the chain guards and slip clutch. In the case of the LX4 the slip clutch is about $85 extra. If you add these safety features to the price of a King Kutter or other bargain price cutter; the numbers even out to about even in some case but not very far apart in price. I am not plugging the Deere cutter necessarily but point out to consider not just the price and quality of manufacture; but all take into account the cost of the safety features and drive line protection. Even the choice between a solid rubber tire or laminated puncture resistant makes a difference over the long run. There are a lot of good rotary cutters out there such as Woods, Land Pride, and Rhino to name a few but when you compare apples to apples, the prices are not so far apart as you would think. ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
dlgcustom

2004-08-14          93522

Hey Cheif, My membership cut me off at bare bones. ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-14          93530

That is all the more reason to join Tractor Point. The information that is available here is limitless. Turn on your private message feature and I will send you the post. ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
dlgcustom

2004-08-14          93537

She's on, thanks ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-08-15          93574

When I picked my 4100 last year it came with a 513 rotary cutter. The John Deere dealer in my area told me about this machine that the guy needed to get rid of right away. I demo the machine with the 513 attached, and it handled the demo just fine. The guy used it for 6.5 hours and that was it ! I traded the 513 in to the dealer for a FEL which they supplied a 61" bucket ...It was the same dealer & salesperson who originally sold the machine to the guy I bought it from. They either sell too big an implement for the machine (which could be true enough) or they feel it can handle it (which is also true)..its a very capable machine for its size I guess is the moral of the story

Duc ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-15          93576

I am sure there is some fudge factor based on what you are cutting. There is a difference between mowing down a small forest and going after tall weeds. ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-08-15          93587

I have used the machine for its intended design and used the attachments I have for it. Whats left is to share feedback, thats all I can offer.
Again for serious brush hogging needs I guess 30 hp machines and larger would be the best suggestion. The 513 fit and worked on the machine, and was orignally sold together as a set
(I have the orignal documentation) It was used on small sapplings and high weeds. Not sure if they even sell the 513 anymore. I had no use for it so I traded it in along with other attachments towards a FEL.
I also use a 12" auger in typical soil (in low idle), and use a 61" bucket on all types of materials with no ill effects.
We have had a few discussions on what should be used or not on these machines. And it comes down to this "to each his own". Certainly the advice given on the board is always something to consider strongly, and is always verified and compared with in my case, with the dealer. So far I have not exceeded the limitations of the machine with oversized attachments, and only use it for what it was designed for.
Pretty straight forward....

Duc

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-08-15          93614

Oh Boy I got the model numbers messed up...I looked at the original documents that I had from over a year ago...The rotary was a 413 , not a 513...I appologize for the error..

Duc ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-15          93620

Whatta guy! Welome to the club. ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-16          93629

Duc, you are displaying classic symptoms of the early onset of CRS. CRS has not cure and only gets worse with age. This is ailment will take some adjusting too but it is not fatal in most cases. ;o) Although you could have just been having a "senior moment". ;o) ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
dlgcustom

2004-08-16          93679

Will probably hack 1/2-3/4" stuff. I also cut 5 acers pasture grown 18" high. Thanks ya'll, i'm learnin. ....

4110 bush hog

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-08-16          93690

just like the commerical : "Thank you"

dlgcustom,

You will find Deere prices on Implements are usually high.
I try not to buy Frontier or Deere because of that. In my opinion I have found equal or better for less through some of the advertisers here...

Duc ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login