Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-10-26          9125

Thanks to Len and Bill for their comments concerning backhoes on the JD 4100. Their comments brings up a couple of other questions. Since JD does not list a rear blade for the 4100 (only a front blade), does this also mean that the 4100 is too light for a rear blade? I really like the 4100 (dealer only 3 miles away), but it seems that it is somewhat limited in its three point usage. I notice that the New Holland TC21 has a factory backhoe and blade. Is the New Holland really a heavier built machine than the JD? Again thanks for comments.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
John Dvorscak

1999-10-26          9129

I have a Deere 4100 gear tractor and have had it since June. I bought a Woods 5 foot blade for it and have had no problems. ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
PaulB

1999-10-26          9135

My Kubota B1700 will handle my 5 foot back blade with ease, whether moving snow or dirt, so I can not imagine that the 4100 would have even the slightest trouble with a similar size implement. My guess is that JD doesn't make a 5 footer, so they can't recommend one. Any aftermarket brand should do fine. ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
Tuc

1999-10-26          9142

I've had a 4100 for about 9 months now and absolutely do not regret the purchase. When I bought it, I talked with 3 different dealers about snow removal options and each one stated the same thing -- Deere only makes the rear blade in a 6 or 7 foot width. While the 4100 can handle it in light situations, a 5 foot blade is more suited to it. Because of that, each dealer recommended an aftermarket blade (in every case, a Woods blade).If you're concerned about 3 point strength, I've used mine to lift and skid trees and logs around my property while leaving the ballast box on the tractor for its extra traction weight. (I cleared a couple acres to build a new house this summer.) I had no problem skidding a couple 40' tall hemlock trees (14" diameter at chest height) as well as dozens of 20' oak logs up a slight incline so I have no doubts about the 3 point strength. (A tip though is to definitely fill and use the rear ballast when using the loader. I've got mine filled with about 800 pounds of concrete and it really stabilized the tractor.) ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
CDF

1999-10-27          9151

I have over 125hrs on my 4100. I have used a Land Pride 5' with the 4100 on numerous jobs, everything from grading to moving boulders. Never a problem. I even welded a 1" diameter post on the beam of the blade so I can add 50 pnd plates to it and it makes for easy ballast. Lots of fun, awesome machiene. ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-10-27          9156

Joe,Demo'd a Used Honda 6522, New Kubota B2100, JD 4100, and looked at a NH TC21.Every unit had good & bad points, some more than others. Obviously the NH was lagging behind, the closest dealer wasn't exactly close and he wasn't interested in a demo. After looking at our needs, the JD 4100 was by far the best fit. The back-hoe issue wasn't a concern for us. I could have an experienced contractor do quite a bit of work before recovering what I would spend for that option. To be perfectly honest, not only does this tractor do everything I need...It does it well. Especially when I decide to install/remove the loader or mower and it takes me less than 5 minutes, all without tools.If I would be using the unit for a business, I probably would have gone with Kubota. Kubota seems to put strengh in front of anything else, I couldn't impress myself with anything on the unit. Not to mention the dealer's "attitude". Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but 6 months later I'm still confident with our purchase of the 4100. I'm not saying its the best unit on the market, its just the best for us. ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
JimBinMI

1999-10-27          9166

MLS, Why is it obvious that the NH TC21 was lagging behind...was it just because of the dealer? I own a TC18 and my machine stats out better than the 4100 and the B2100 in some areas. I was also able to find a great dealer and a great price. Please give more info, I'm sure it's not obvious to other NH owners as well as other readers of this board. ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
Kevin M

1999-10-27          9179

MLS could you please enlighten us in what areas NH is lagging behind ? ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-10-28          9196

Jim,I apologies if I seemed vague, From the beginning, The NH was at a disadvantage. For two main reasons, I know only of one dealership within an hours drive. And two, the NH dealer wasn't interested in hauling the unit to our house for a demo. Not only did JD & Kubota bring the units to our house, they told us we could try em out for a day or so, at our leisure.The NH dealer in question is a small family owned business with only a handfull of people. To his credit, I can understand his excuse, in that he is the only sales/parts guy on a Saturday, thus leaving the store really isn't an option. On the other hand, that's not my problem, nor would I be getting the unit cheaper because he's a one man show. Unfortunately, NH's disadvantage had nothing to do with the tractor itself. To me, a purchase like this is much more than aquiring a piece of metal, intangebles can make up a good bit of the value. Just ask your wife, A $1.99 rose to us..is worth a whole lot more than that to her. ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
Steve

1999-11-24          10346

I looked at the TC21D before making my selection on compacts. JD is the only compact that moves the wheel brakes to the left foot side when you get hydro drive. I could not understand how to use wheel brakes with the same foot as the hydro? If you set the criuse, it kicks off if you tough the brake. I guess you just have to ride "side saddle".......... I bought the Deere. I have 230 hrs on it to date and I would say that the JD specs are very conservative. ....

JD 4100 rear attachments

View my Photos
mark

1999-11-24          10347

Just like to reiterate some previous comments made regarding tractor selection and dealers...I just completed a pretty exhaustive study between the NH, JD and KB tractors. I was very impressed with the quality of all brands I looked at. However, based upon my needs I choose the JD4400. My decision was not based on one tractor brand being "better" than another-I think anyone who buys based on that kind of a simplistic reason is only doing themselves a disservice-but was instead based upon what options/features/etc. were most important to me. Regarding dealers, I am lucky to have multiple dealers in my immediate area for all three brands. I did notice some real differences however...not so much in the dealerships but in the salesmen. I does pay to look at different dealerships and talk to different salesmen, not only for price but also in what kind of relationship you'll be having with them in the future. In short, keep and open mind on brands, do your research, and feel comfortable with your salesman. Happy tractoring! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login