Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 point - tire rub - Newbie alert

View my Photos
yogibear
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-29          84761

Hello --

Newbie here. Day one with 4110 and Frontier landscape rake. When I have the 3 point raised and swing around, the 3 point swings and rubs inside of the R4 tires.

I've tinkered with the turnbuckles without much effect. Can anyone enlighten me? It seems to me that the purpose of the turnbuckles is to prevent this, but I'm obviously missing something.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered--

Yogi

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
sgt1985
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-30          84764

Yogibear check your manual if you have one. If not,check your toplink adjustment first,if you don't have draft control then don't worry about it. Your tractor should have an anti-sway or stabilizer bars with pin holes and slots.Put the pins in a hole without slots.Line each one to the same number of hole per side. You should have one on each side of the two lower draw bars. Your toplink and turnbuckle are pimarily used for leveling front to back and side to side,not sway control ....

View my Photos
sgt1985

2004-04-30          84765

I forgot to mention, if you put the pins in the non-sway position with a "ground engaging implement" don't make sharp turns, if you do just make sure you lift the implement first. This is the general rule for any "ground engaging implement" ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-30          84777

Sgt... we don't have slots and pin holes on these tractors.

Yogi: I have found that many rakes and grader blades are made as Cat 1/2 which means they are trying to make a universal fit. The problem is that they are too wide across the pins for many Cat 1 hitches.

I'm guessing that your lift arms are spread about 28 inches when hooked to your rake. You need to get that down closer to 24 inches. Also be very careful of the height of the top link hole on the rake. If it is more than 15 inches or so you are risking a bent top link(been there twice).

If you can reverse the lift pins so they point inward(??) and still have the clearance you need to attach the 3 point lift arms, this will give you a few more inches of clearance.

If not it's time to trade back or spend a lot of time or money cutting and welding. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-04-30          84788

I found by switching/ reversing my R4's (valve stem inside) gave me the extra room needed...this is of course if you have R4's ...Duh I just re-read your post you have R4's !! your in luck !!

Duc ....

View my Photos
yogibear

2004-04-30          84800

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I'm encouraged to hear that this particular issue isn't related to my 'newbie' status. I had read and re-read the manual in advance of posting, so I thought I was doing everything right.

Guess it's time to call the dealer and see what they are going to do about it. I'm in no mood to hack / weld the rake, nor flip the wheels around. I paid too much money to have to jury rig up a solution myself. . .

Again, thanks to all who replied! I appreciate the assistance.

Yogi ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-04-30          84801

Hi Yogi,

Reversing the tires also gives you a wider stance with your R4's which give to stability overall, especially when using the FEL (not sure if you have one)...
That reversing suggestion came from this site and it helped greatly...I do not see any negatives with reversing your tires, and simple to do...

Good luck either way..

Duc ....

View my Photos
yogibear

2004-04-30          84805

Duc,

Thanks for the clarification on flipping the wheels around. You make a good point - one worth considering.

I'm still a bit frosted that this has come up, thus the cranky tone of my last post. The dealer should have known this would be an issue (this is *not* a small dealership).

Again, thanks to all for the quick replies. I really appreciate the assistance!

Yogi ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-05-01          84841

Mark's comment about turning the lower link pins around so they face inward might also be good to remember if it has replaceable pins. The further the link arms are spread, the closer an implement will be to the tractor. I think it's a fairly common practice with some narrow BX hitches. I can't recall if there are any issues with turning them around though. ....

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-05-01          84855

Yogi,

I got a 4110 with R4s last fall and had similar problems with my rear snowblower this winter. Turning the tires, if I read the manual correctly, will only get you 3/10" on this tractor. Not enough to be worth it.

The answer for me came in two parts:

(1) some implements are just too wide for this tractor -- as has been mentioned, turn the pins in if (2) doesn't work. That's how I got my blower to work even with gigundo chains mounted.
(2) the turnbuckles for the sway bars were adjusted wrong on my tractor as it came from the dealer. After I completely removed the implement and completely removed and re-threaded the sway bar turnbuckles, I could get them to a place where they were more effective. Before that, I couldn't tighten them enough to have any effect.

Another thing that will probably give the others here a laugh, but that slowed me down as a complete tractor newbie -- the left sway bar controls how far to the *right* the implement moves, and vice-versa. That is, the sway bars act under tension, not compression!

Good luck! ....

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-05-01          84856

I forgot to add:

If you bought a 4110 and implements the dealer should be happy to come out and help you figure it out. You put a LOT of money in his pocket, and he's responsible for making the situation work right for you on delivery.

I called my dealer this spring, 4 months after delivery, when I was having trouble getting the draft links to clear with the rear blade mounted, and he came out and figured it out on his dime, and he's a 45-minute drive away. In most cases, they sincerely want you to be happy. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-02          84964

Wiggles.... Your observations on tension/compression are a "John Deere truth".

Small Kubota's, like the BX, have the tension chains inside the lift arms and work in the opposite fashion.

FYI. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-05-02          84986

wigglybridge ,

I'm thinking you gain at least 2" or more each side...I had for a brief time a 513 brush hog which made the arms rub when it was on the highest settings...rotating the tires inward gave me at least 2" each side...No way of me double checking my measurements on this since I'm not going to rotate my CaCl tires :) and I no longer have the 513...
I could be wrong but it gave me more than enough room for the arms after that...

Duc

Duc

View my Photos
yogibear

2004-05-03          85025

All,

First off, a genuine thanks for all the offered advice, and treating a newbie gently. I appreciate it.

I tinkered around with the turnbuckles, and was able to substantially improve their usefulness - though the arms still rubbed, but not nearly as much.

I then turned the pins inward on the rake, and that did the trick nice and sweet.

I put about 10 hours on the tractor this weekend, and I'm beginning to get results that might lead the uninformed to believe that I know what I'm doing... :)

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for their assistance and advice!

Yogi ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-03          85063

Nothing to it. Go have fun. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login