Go Bottom Go Bottom

Battery corrosion solution

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-13          82991

Tractors that have the battery mounted in front of the radiator sometimes develop corrosion problems due to battery out-gassing. When I rolled my tractor one of the battery caps came off and acid dumped everywhere, so I had to replace the battery. I mentioned this problem to the dealer and pic 18 shows what they came up with. That should fix it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-13          83062

do you have a part # for that.
I had to scrape,neutalize ,repaint and POR my 790 ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-14          83086

Well, that certainly seems like a low cost solution, how effective it is going to be I'm not sure about though.

On all our machines there are few little 'tweaks' we do as soon as we take delivery. One is a 'mod' to the battery box, we remove the battery and battery box and spray the entire thing, top, bottom and sides with spray on "Gravel Guard". It is available in large aerosol cans at most any auto supply house. It is meant to be sprayed on the lower portions of the sides of a car or truck to stop stones and dirt from sand-blasting away the prtective coating. It mostly dries in about an hour but overnight is better.

We also spray the rad with "Wax-oyl" which is a sort of thin waxy spray inteded to be used as rust-proofing. It seeps into all the little nooks and crannies and seals everything, it does not seem to affect the rads performance, and it does not melt off either.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-14          83093

Sorry, no part no. but the dealer told me that the 790 uses a remote vented battery. It was my understanding that they took the cap off a 790 battery. Jazak, since you have a 790 maybe that's not the case. Hmm. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-14          83095

Next to a sealed AGM battery (which none are available that work properly), that is the best solution I have seen yet. You have a very good dealer Ken. He did you right. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-14          83098

Yes, I couldn't be happier with the way my dealer has treated me. Fisher Implement in Hillsboro, Oregon. They're not the cheapest, but the extra cost was money well spent. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-14          83099

Hey Ken, I went to the JDparts website and the online parts manual shows only the individual battery caps. No one piece unit like you showed with the vent hose. Can you ask your dealer if they can find a part number for it? That would be great as all of us with this problem could get that on order and fix the problem. Thanks!

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-14          83100

I poked around on JDParts and I think the remote vented cap came off a 4300 battery. The only part number they list is that of the battery, LVA 11725. One would assume the battery would come with this cap, but it is entirely possible that the new batteries don't have it. The pic on JDParts doesn't show the vent tube but the cap is the same and it would be easy to find and install a plastic tube. ....

View my Photos
jbs

2004-04-14          83133

I got tired of the corrosion problem and afer sanding and painting several times I replaced my battery with the optima gel battery. I had to modify the tie down bracket abit but now I could go upside down and not worry about spilled battery acid. A few more bucks but well worth it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-14          83134

jbs, what optima battery did you install? The 4310 is a group 22NF which optima doesn't make, and I didn't find one that would fit. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-14          83141

I would be VERY interested as well. I think that is the best solution and a much better battery. ....

View my Photos
jbs

2004-04-23          84076

Hey Ken I'll have to look under my hood. I know it was approximately the same size as the leaker I took out. May not be the same as spec but it works. ....

View my Photos
jbs

2004-04-23          84077

I popped the hood. Hey no corrosion. The tie down was over the model # but the battery has 980 Cranking amps & 820 cold cranking amps. The top of battery is red if this helps. If I remember I had to fab new tie downs cause the originals were corroded beyond help. ....

View my Photos
hared1112

2004-04-23          84082

After cleaning, sanding, neutralizing, and repainting my battery area, I just went to Wally World and bought a maintenance free battery of the right physical dimensions and terminal arrangement. Cheap and no more problems. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-23          84083

I've read several times that standard automotive batteries don't last all that long in tractor applications, especially when working in rough areas. There is no suspension to absorb shock so the battery gets beat up pretty bad and eventually internal connections break. I even read this somewhere on a battery manufacturer web site (don't recall which one though).

I sent a request to Deere suggesting that they pay Optima or Exide an NRE fee to develop a BCI group 22NF AGM battery for the 10 series JD tractors. I justified it by the reduction in warranty claims and increase in customer satisfaction. Their initial response seemed positive and they gave me the name of a JD person who is supposed to contact me about it. We'll see... ....

View my Photos
hared1112

2004-04-23          84094

You probably have a good point for tractors with heavy usage in rough areas, but for those who put maybe 100 or less hours a year on the tractor cutting some fields, doing a little FEL work, and plowing snow, I figure the battery will die of old age before it fails due to structure. But if I run into a longevity problem, I'll certainly reconsider that position. ....

View my Photos
rs1rs1

2004-04-24          84112

Optima makes a smaller starter battery now - sized 75/35 Dual terminal. L 9.4" W 6.8" H 7.6" weight is 31 lbs.. Granted it is more battery than most tractors come with. I have had excellent life out of all my Optima's. Normally I have found some way to fit them. One of Optima's claims is to resist vibration better. In this area Autozone carries this size along with the larger 34/78. ....

Link:   optima batteries

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-24          84121

I looked at that one. It's 1.4 inches wider which, on the jd 4310 anyway, seemed to be problematic. It's really tight in there! ....

View my Photos
rs1rs1

2004-04-25          84247

All right, take a look at this one. I did not know that Optima made it. 9 5/16 l, 5 1/16 w, 8 /5/13 h. Deep cycle battery which will not hurt on a tractor. Maybe this one will squeeze in. Jegs claims it could ever be mounted upside down. ....

Link:   Jegs

View my Photos
rs1rs1

2004-04-25          84259

Well that did not work try www.jegs.com and put part no.
753-9071-167 or
753-9073-167 into search. ....

Link:   Jegs

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-25          84261

Hey, those look pretty close size-wise. Wonder how they mount? I'll have to check those out. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login