Go Bottom Go Bottom

4110 or 4210 or 4310 What about resale

View my Photos
horstuff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-21          80659

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum, and it is a lifesaver in trying to get info about these things. I am ready to buy a small tractor, and I think I am going to go with JD, just because it seems like the resale will be the best. My tentative plan is to buy it, use the FEL and backhoe for a year or so, then sell it. I have just an acre of land that I need to prep (it's already cleared, no real heavy stuff left), move topsoil and gravel around, dig a few holes, take out a few small stumps, and then sell it used. I was all set to go with the 4110 with FEL and hoe and landscape rake and rear blade, but as I was leaving the dealer, I jumped onto a 4210 just for the heck of it. I immediately liked the way it felt better than the 4110. The seat, the floorboards, just everything seemed more beefy and real.

My question is: Since I obviously don't have much heavy work to do, and I plan on selling the machine in a year or two, which do you guys think would be best for resale value? It seems the 4110 is kinda cool as far as a specialty item for small landowners that need maneuverability (plus it can take the 46 backhoe), but the 4210 seemed like a real tractor and not a toy in any way. To add to the confusion, I read here that if somebody was considering the 4210, they may as well get the 4310. That may be, but, as somebody else here said, you can keep going up one notch until you've bought ten times the machine you will ever need. I guess my bottom line at this point is going to be ease of selling it later, so whichever one is going to hold it's value the best. Thanks very, very much in advance for any advice given. This is a scary purchase, Hell, my new car cost less than I am thinking about spending on this thing! But, I need it, and I don't want to cheese out just because of the dollars. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80662

I think on any of these the depreciation would be 7-10 percent in the first year and maybe 5 percent a year after that. If you're in an area of larger properties it would probably be easier to sell the larger machine. I'm not sure JD has any better resale than the other major brands.

As far as 4210 vs. 4310, the 4310 is sort of the sweet spot in the mid-frame line. I think the 4210 may be a tiny bit underpowered for the frame size and weight and don't think the 4410 is worth the extra $1500 increment over the 4310 to get three more hp. In your case it doesn't sound like you need to do a lot of heavy work so you might look at the 4115 - a reliable tractor with enough power to do what you need. ....

View my Photos
horstuff

2004-03-21          80664

kwschumm,

Thanks for the advice. What about the 4110? Am I just missing the boat with the 4110 and shouldn't even be considering it? Anybody else? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80667

The 4110 is a good machine and could well do what you need, but 20 hp seems to me to be a little low for a small tractor with a loader and heavy backhoe. The 4115 has 15-20 percent more power which makes it more suitable IMHO. Maybe DRankin will chime in here, he has a 4115 equipped with a backhoe and can shed more light on this topic. ....

View my Photos
horstuff

2004-03-21          80674

Is there any validity to my theory that the 4110 (or 4115) may have unique appeal because it is so small yet can handle the 46 hoe? That it may re-sell quicker, and to a broader range of people? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-22          80677

horstuff; The first compact I ever drove was a 4100 that the dealer brought out with a Land Pride rear mower. it was a nice tractor, but just not enough horsepower. If you're going to put a hoe on it the 4110 just isn't quite heavy enough, first time you hook a root you'll drag the tractor before the hydraylic will give up. Just this winter I traded a 2000 model 4300 in on a 4410, I got a good trade plus the dealer had the 4300 sold to someone before it ever left my property. I would vote for the 4310 as having the better resale as your getting into the size where not only home owners but landscapers, construction firms, and farmers are coming into the picture too. Once you get used to having whichever size you choose I'll bet you a double dip Baskin Robins you never sell it. Have a great week, Frank. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-22          80692

I think after a year or two your resale questions will all go out the window and you will decide you don't want to be without your tractor. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-22          80697

Get the 4310. You mentioned resale value but the 4310 is the most popular size and will have the most appeal to buyers IF & when you think you might sell it. It has the hp and capacities to handle implements that appeals to the broadest block of potential buyers as well. These are great little tractors and have the versatility to do most tasks put to them. Since you are going to be using this tractor in a landscaping/construction role; I would suggest you negotiate in the price of a rental upgrade kit, front & rear dual work lights, high capacity alternator, and maybe even the seat arm rest kit along with the other implements you plan to purchase. Get the R-4 tires and mid pto as this is another strong selling point for a MMM. A 4 in 1 bucket for the FEL would be a very helpful option too. Good luck on your purchase! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-03-22          80700

Horstuff, I'm thinking you should go for the smaller one. While it may take a bit more time to do the work you plan on initially, it might give you the option of keeping it after you're done. You could sell the backhoe easily and then have a nice machine to use for maintenance of your property that's not massively oversized.
Dave ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-22          80701

Horstuff, I have the 4310 with 47 backhoe. You would think the 4310 is way too big for a homeowner with 2 acres. However, I continue to hit boulders when I use the backhoe and am not sure I would want a smaller tractor when digging these out. The 4310 seems just big enough to finesse some of these big rocks out of the ground and get them to their final destination. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-22          80702

A 4110 or a 4210 in my opinion is massively oversized for one acre of land. I think at this point the capabilities of the tractor and its quick resale appeal are what he is considering. As I see it, if you want to stay small; go with a 4115 which can handle a hoe much better or go with the 4310 and get much more task handling ability. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-22          80708

I think the ease and value on resale depends a lot on where you live. If you're in a rural area you'd probably do better with the 4310, but if you're in an area with 1-2 acre residential lots the small frame machines would probably move faster. Hard to tell from here. You can always sell it long distance but the buyer pool shrinks then. ....

View my Photos
horstuff

2004-03-22          80730

Whew. Just got out of bed and turned on the computer to see if anybody had anything to say. THANKS! Chief, you say the 4110 or 4210 is too big for an acre, but you recommend I get the 4310 with all the stuff. In your opinion, the 4310 will be way big for what I need, but I will be able to do ALL that I need to do and then sell it most easily, right? I live in an area of 2-5 acre lots, some larger than 5 up to 10. Cow country. Pacific NW, where it rains like a muttha and the dirt gets pretty sticky. My own lot has sandy soils so I am not too concerned, but many areas around here have crap soil. The R4's seem to be the way to go, even around here. Am I wrong? It would seem that most people would like their overall versatility, and they won't chew up a wet pasture as bad as the R1's. The dealer would fill them with calcium.

My first thought on all this was to get the smallest machine that will handle a backhoe so I could get a MMM and R3's and mow the lawn (not pasture, but groomed lawn). When I looked at how much a MMM is, I decided it makes the most sense to just buy a good riding mower for almost the same price and nix the MMM. It seems a MMM isn't going to make resale that much easier, and the riding mower will be much more suitable for mowing an acre of lawn. That's how I got on this whole kick of "Forget the small one, go with a bigger one", because if I am going to sell it, I want to appeal to the largest number of people needing a tractor. I would then of course keep the riding mower, and sell the tractor (and probably cry as it leaves, wishing I would've kept it!). Oh, woe is me. I don't know if my plan is a good one, but I am on my own, and frankly it scares me to bejeebers thinking about having a 25K+ debt hanging out there. Thanks for all your help. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-03-22          80733

horstuff

Here's what you need to do....

Go shopping for a used TLB. Something like a BX 22. You don't need anything bigger. Buy it used and let someone else pay the depreciation. In a year or two, when you get ready to sell it, you can probably get back what you paid for it. ....

View my Photos
horstuff

2004-03-22          80734

Also, does everbody more or less agree with kwschumm that the depreciation in the first year could be 10%, then 5% a year after that? Are those good rough indicators that I can use to do some preliminary pondering? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
horstuff

2004-03-22          80736

Hmmnn. Now you got me thinking about that. I looked at the Kubota site and saw a BX22. Very small but with hoe and loader. Way cheaper too. IF I was going to spend the money to keep a machine, this may be the one, because it is only 15K TLB. But, for resale, I wonder how many people would just see these as toys and not bother with it. Hmnn...

Plus, dangit, I like Green! (open to change, though :-) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-22          80737

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest making a list of projects and tasks you plan to complete and factor in the hp requirements of any implements you will need to complete them (this is probably the biggest issue driving machine size). Then compare the cost of a new tractor (with its depreciatiton) vs. a used tractor vs. hiring out the job to a landscaper/contractor. Your description of planned tasks:

"I have just an acre of land that I need to prep (it's already cleared, no real heavy stuff left), move topsoil and gravel around, dig a few holes, take out a few small stumps, and then sell it used."

if you are sticking with exactly that and nothing more......you could get by with a a machine such as Billy suggested preferabley used. "Dig a few holes" kinda leaves some grey area as does "take out a few small stumps" hence my suggestion to consider the 4310.

You sound as if you had your mind set on purchasing new. That was why I made the suggestion I did. Dollars and sense wise you would be much better off buying a recent model used machine such as a 4300 or 4100 depending upon the size machine you think will get the job done. When I say buying a used machine; I mean from a private individual and NOT a dealer. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-03-22          80744

I'm still thinking you should get a smaller machine. Maybe smaller than the 4110 if that's to big for your lot. Then you can rethink the backhoe purchase and just hire out for the stump removal and hole digging. You will be money ahead. If you had a nice small machine with an FEL and mower it would always be a handy rig for your property.
Dave ....

View my Photos
horstuff

2004-03-22          80757

Well, heck. Now I am seriously looking at that BX22 (or 23, don't know the diff) and wondering if it would accomplish my first idea, which is to have a MMM on a small machine (so I could mow the lawn) AND have a small hoe to help dig out what, in reality, are very small stumps. Maybe this would be a keeper if I could get one cheap enough that would also be my easy to use lawn mower when I wasn't digging up small stumps or loading some topsoil here and there.

I know I am sounding like the typical yahoo who isn't thinking ahead, and may be sorely disappointed once he realizes that he basically bought a go-cart with a scoop, but this thing seems like it would be lightning fast to sell if that time came and I wanted to "Get Real". However, if I wanted to "Get Real", now, would Chief's suggestion be the best? Get a JD 4310 and call it good? One of those would probably move just as quick in the resale market. Thanks, guys, for all the help. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-03-22          80765

horstuff

If all you need a backhoe for is for a few small stumps, forget it. Hire someone with a stump grinder (makes a heck of a lot less mess) and save the difference.

Now if you want a backhoe because you want a backhoe, that's a different story. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login